Wine train at Napa?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All!

Just now getting to what to do in Napa on a trip to California next week - going to be at Pismo and Morro for a few days each then to Napa for a couple of days.

We wanted to do one of the wine trains, preferably with tastings and food enroute.

Who has done this? Any recommendations for the train "experience?"

Thanks!!!

I am interested in this also. Look forward to hearing peoples experiences and suggestions!

We were given a gift certificate for the Napa Wine Train about 15 years ago. We went and had a good time. DH is a train buff, so he really enjoyed that. The main activities on board were eating lunch (food was very good, wine was included) and enjoying the views of the vineyards. The trip we were on did not stop at any wineries.

Depending on your budget and preferred styles/varieties of wine, you would have a much better time to do the touring yourself. It may involve a little work on your part but it is manageable. The idea is to have fun.
Most wineries will have a minimum $25 tasting fee per person, and that fee will include 3-5 pours. That $25 will also be credited to a purchase, so if you like a certain wine, be sure to visit wineries that make that wine. You will also be prompted to join their wine club, at different levels of participation, from once a month to once year. Spending time at the winery also limits you from visiting 20 wineries, quaffing copious amounts of wine, and driving 300 yards to the next winery. (Unless you plan on visiting 2 great wineries in a row; for me it was Stags Leap and Chimney Rock.) Most wineries are open 11-5 and no later, in order to keep traffic down.
DW and I enjoy the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford, good food and no corkage fee.

Hi All!

Just now getting to what to do in Napa on a trip to California next week - going to be at Pismo and Morro for a few days each then to Napa for a couple of days.

We wanted to do one of the wine trains, preferably with tastings and food enroute.

Who has done this? Any recommendations for the train "experience?"

Thanks!!!

We did the gourmet tour a while back. It was $150/person for the three course meal. The wine and gratuities were extra. We did get a welcome glass of wine that was included. It was about 3 hours. The food was very good. You should budget around $200-220 per person today for everything. The food was good but would I do it again? No. The food at the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford, CA next to BV Vineyards was better. Plus BV Vineyards has some of the finest red wines in Nappa.

If you like zinfandels or syrahs, Sonoma would be better for you than Napa. Pretty much a parallel path, closer to the ocean. I recall cheaper tasting fees there than Napa too.

Train runs along a road that you can travel yourself. Food and wine are good. I think you should consider wine tasting and dinner out at a restaurant. I think "Wine Train" just sounds cool. Hotels in the area are pricey.

Appreciate all the comments. What are your favorite wineries in both Napa and Sonoma?

Thanks again!!!

Appreciate all the comments. What are your favorite wineries in both Napa and Sonoma?

Thanks again!!!

My favorites are the ones that have the most enjoyable tours. Try Korbel to learn about the methode champenoise and Benziger to see the vineyards.

Thanks again!!!

I'll pile on the "anti wine train" crowd. I think you can do far better for both wine and food - especially for the money.

Favorite wineries include:

Alpha Omega
Cakebread
Clif Family
Flora Springs
Handwritten
J. Gregory
Nickle and Nickle
Oakville Ranch
Pine Ridge
Pride Mountain

One place for dinner I don't see often recommended is The Farm at the Carneros Inn. I've never had a bad experience there.

I've done it once. The view isn't so hot but food served was decent. I don't remember how wine tasting was. I guess we (DW & I) expected a little too much. It was a bit of let down vs the expectation.

I totally agree with Racer X. Wine train is, IMHO, designed entirely for tourists. Which wineries you will enjoy depends on your interest in wine and what you normally spend per bottle. White, red, sparkling? Cheap, moderate or expensive?
Personally, I prefer the wineries along The Silverado Trail - they are generally less crowded than those on Highway 29. We typically end the day at Mumms, which has very good sparkling wine, a lovely patio overlooking the vineyards and a fine art gallery. Also check out Chimney Rock, Conn Creek, ZD, stags Leap, Silverado and Joseph Phelps. While I am not wild about their wine, but you may like it, Sterling Vineyards at the top of the valley is at the top of a hill, has great views and you get up to the winery by an aerial tram.

If you are not into wine all that much, a lot of people like going to the huge deli at V. Sattui (on Highway 29) and picnicking on the grounds with a bottle of wine. Robert Mondavi is where the fine California wine industry started and is worth a visit.

Enjoy. So much wine and so little time.

We usually go to Sonoma these days when there is some kind of winery tour event with 10+ wineries for one weekend price. There aren't any next week that I know of but you can buy a one or two day wine pass here with some of the same wineries: Wine Trail Pass, Fall & Winter - Heart of Sonoma Valley Winery Association

I'm not that into the tasting part but for a pretty setting my favorite winery is probably Chateau St. Jean in Sonoma. Deerfield Ranch has a nifty tasting room in the center of a big wine cave. I've never tried the wine train.

I bought Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley Winery passports this year through Groupon. I haven't used them yet but they both have 4 out of 5 star ratings on Groupon. I think they are usually around $30 and the each have a long list of places with comp tastings and assorted discounts. Living Social has a deal on another pass called Priority Wine Pass that has assorted discounts including some for the wine train.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Thanks All - been discussing eliminating wine train, but we have resv JIC ... :)

Anyone have favorite restaurants in either Napa or Sonoma wine tour areas? We currently are planning and have resv for two nights in Napa and one in Sonoma.

OP - keep your eye on Bay Area news today, numerous wildfires started burning overnight from Napa to Sonoma. Too soon to know the impact, but major evacuations throughout much of the wine country.

If you have to change plans and still want to visit wineries there are many in the Livermore area (south east of Oakland) or Amador County (south east of Sacramento), just to name a few other wine regions.

Yeah, at this point you should rework your trip to go somewhere else. Smoke is hanging over the north bay and breathing is pretty unpleasant. Roads into Napa and Sonoma counties are closed. Cities, resorts and hospitals have been evacuated. Even if your reservations aren’t for a few days, it is pretty unlikely that they’ll be ready for tourists.

Last edited:
Yeah and thanks - sounds like a bad idea - am replacing.

We were gonna leave Morro Bay on the 17th ... have backup resv in Monterey from 17-21 Oct. Anyone done Paso Robles wine tour? We're starting to look at that, now ...

New route COULD be:

Pismo from 10-14 Oct (with friends at The Cliffs)
Morro from 14-17 Oct (with friends at Anderson Inn)
Paso Robles 17-19 Oct (anyone wine toured this area and has recommendations?)
Monterey 19-21 Oct (staying downtown - probably Marriott)
Big Basin State Park (don't know where to stay, yet - thoughts?) - 21-22 Oct
San Francisco 22-24 Oct
Depart SFO 24 Oct

Paso Robles has good wineries. That would keep you in the central coast area and away from the bad smoke and fires.

Alternatively if you want to get closer to SFO, consider the Livermore valley wineries instead of Napa/Sonoma. Livermore is east San Francisco bay area. More laid back than Napa/Sonoma, not such a touristy feel and some do not have the mandatory fees. Very good wines, with many smaller wineries. I used to live there, had two wineries within 1 mile of my house. Probably 20 within 5-7 miles. You could easily spend 2-3 days around Livermore for the wineries.

Big Basin State Park (don't know where to stay, yet - thoughts?) - 21-22 Oct

Not sure what you are looking for in a hotel but here are some ideas: Big Basin is on Hwy 9; there are a handful of small towns (Boulder Creek, Ben Lomond, Felton) along this road with accommodations. These will be small, quaint, “mountain resorts”. Nothing fancy, but nestled in the redwoods. Beautiful. Scott’s Valley is the next nearest larger town. They will have a chain hotel or two. Santa Cruz is probably your best bet. And if all else fails (they’re booked up), head over the hill (hwy 17) to San Jose. San Jose will be the most affordable on the weekends, as the hotels cater to the business traveler, not tourist.

Big Basin is lovely. We went there a few years back for a hike and picnic under the Redwood trees. Monterrey is lovely, too, and has a nice aquarium. There's always tons to do in San Francisco. I agree that San Jose often has good hotel bargains for weekend rates and the nicer chain hotels. We have gone to Santa Cruz for the day and booked a hotel in San Jose for the night.

Last edited:
Plenty of good wineries in and around Paso Robles. I can recommend Vina Robles but not Broken Earth Winery. Paso Robles wines are more robust than what you would find in Napa and Sonoma. The area around Santa Cruz also has some lesser known wineries, some well worth the detour.

Terrible news re Sonoma and Napa ...

We're rescheduled to stay west (would like have gotten to Livermore, but too hard this trip).

Only issue is where to stay while doing the park ... we have backup resv in Campbell (south of San Jose) ... will take a look at local hotel/motels on way to park from Monterey.

Thanks for all the great comments and help ... if ya think of must do wineries or other venues, please post!!!

Thanks!!

Since Napa and Sonoma counties are sadly not options at the moment, you may want to look at wineries in Carmel valley. I'm not much of a wine taster, though I do like wn occasional glass of red wine, but I know there are many wineries in that area and it is gorgeous

Back
Top Bottom