Wisconsin Weather -why do I stay here

Wow... cheeseheads unite! :)

Every year I dislike the cold more and more, but today is was actually quite pretty with the snow we had. There's something nice about the seasons, I think. Getting Christmas cards from family in Arizona with pictures of Christmas lights strung up on their house surrounded by dirt and cactus is just not right. ;)

As other WI natives know, the spring, summer and fall are all excellent, and the winter isn't as bad as a lot of people outside the state think. In my area of the state, we usually don't see snow until January and it starts to warm up by early March. The gorgeous lakes and hiking/biking trails in the northern 1/3 of the state are excellent. There's a LOT more to Wisconsin than beer and Packers!

Once I ER, I think I'll still live here, but will likely spend a couple weeks somewhere warm in February.

Last thought, there are many gorgeous areas with virtually zero crime. I enjoy bigger cities, but I'm not a fan of Milwaukee (I consider it more of an old suburb of Chicago). Check out areas like Door County, Wausau, Eau Claire, Appleton, Green Bay, etc. for a more balanced idea of what the state offers.

HFWR said:
Only a former PBR drinker... :dead:

Better than Old Milwaukee, Fox Deluxe, or Colt .45.......... :LOL: :LOL:

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I have family in Milwaukee and visit quite a bit and dont view crime as bad there...look up statistics per capita....I live in NW Wisconsin closer to Minneapolis/st. paul and the statistics are worse there....watching the news in the 2 areas, the twin cities seems like a war zone :-\

The areas that Rich pointed out...also Mequon (higher end), Slinger, Germantown in the northern edge and to the south Franklin and Greenfield are nice...Aunt in West Allis, but I think that has gone down little bit....

Problem with Franklin, Fox Point, and Whitefish Bay is that taxes would be DOUBLE what I am paying for a SMALLER HOUSE.........Milwaukee County IS NOT good for property taxes..........

Sisyphus said:
As other WI natives know, the spring, summer and fall are all excellent,

I'm not a Wisconsin native, but do live just south of the border in northern Illinois and spend a lot of time in Wisconsin........

Winter isn't the problem. Once things freeze up, and with a nice, dry snow cover, winter can be pretty pleasant. Especially for ER types who can be outdoors if and when they choose.

Spring is hell in Wisconsin. Endless weeks of gray, cold, damp wetness. Putting on my snowshoes and hiking a logging trail "upnort" in crisp, single digit temps is great. Sloshing that same trail in foggy, muddy, slippery, 40f conditions isn't so appealing!

It's pretty much the same here in northern Illinois. My favorite month to get out of town and head south is March! :)

youbet said:
Once things freeze up, and with a nice, dry snow cover, winter can be pretty pleasant.
I'm going to have to frame that quote on my wall for my Hawaii friends who tell me that they miss Mainland winters!

I don't think that 1960s-70s Pittsburgh ever had a "dry" winter...

If you think Wisconsin winters are OK, perhaps your brain is frozen from these #^*$&%^ cold temps and grey days... :D

Opps'''gray days, see my brain is frozen up here in Appleton and it appears to be affecting my typing ability....

Take up some knitting, or baking. :)

Indoor activity is good during winter--how about reading, watching DVD's, learning to play a musical instrument, organizing your possessions, meditating?

Outside your home, you could visit art galleries, go to coffeeshops or pubs, and catch some musical performances or other shows, or go dancing.

Maybe you have SAD; perhaps someone has already suggested a special light that might help.

Winter gives us a break from all the outdoor running-around of the warmer months. Best of all--no yardwork!!!

flipstress said:
Take up some knitting, or baking. :)

Indoor activity is good during winter--how about reading, watching DVD's, learning to play a musical instrument, organizing your possessions, meditating?

Outside your home, you could visit art galleries, go to coffeeshops or pubs, and catch some musical performances or other shows, or go dancing.

Maybe you have SAD; perhaps someone has already suggested a special light that might help.

Winter gives us a break from all the outdoor running-around of the warmer months. Best of all--no yardwork!!!

Well, the winters are good for ONE "indoor activity"...........which is why one of my kids was born in September........... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

rjk514 said:
If you think Wisconsin winters are OK, perhaps your brain is frozen from these #^*$&%^ cold temps and grey days... :D

Shouldn't be frozen...... I always add plenty of antifreeze (alcohol based)! ;)

youbet said:
Shouldn't be frozen...... I always add plenty of antifreeze (alcohol based)! ;)

Crown Royal and Tanqueray are two old favorites........

Also, Wisconsinites hold the dubious distinction of being the number one brandy drinking state for the last 30 years or something..........time for a "highball", like Grandma used to drink............ :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Also, Wisconsinites hold the dubious distinction of being the number one brandy drinking state for the last 30 years or something..........

I've noticed that! Generally, when I think of stopping for a "bump and a beer," I'm thinking of a shot of whiskey and a short glass of draft beer. But when I'm "upnort," the bartender always reaches for the Christian Brothers bottle instead of the Jack Daniels! :LOL:

But ya know...... "when in Rome..........." I can't say I've ever had a bad time in any of those rural Wisconsin taverns.

Aberguten (or something close to that): a Wisconsin specialty -- brandy with a float of peppermint schnapps on the top. You sip the brandy through the schnapps.

I know it sounds pretty bad, but with good brandy and not overdoing it on the schnapps it's... well... different.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Aberguten (or something close to that): a Wisconsin specialty -- brandy with a float of peppermint schnapps on the top. You sip the brandy through the schnapps.

I know it sounds pretty bad, but with good brandy and not overdoing it on the schnapps it's... well... different.

Interesting Rich....... Doesn't sound bad at all!

I'm familar with a similar drink called a "snowshoe." It's just a shot of VO with a little peppermint schnapps on top. But no sipping. It's taken straight down. :D

All this Wisconsin winter weather and booze talk has me thinking of a little joint west of Crivitz on cty road W we used to stop at years ago after spending some hours out in the snowy woods...........(Nicolet National
Forest). They were still using a wood stove for heat and draft beer was 25 cents a glass. There was a friendly bartender named Lori....... Lots of fun in the winter time if you don't mind a little ice in your beard!

youbet said:
Interesting Rich....... Doesn't sound bad at all!

I'm familar with a similar drink called a "snowshoe." It's just a shot of VO with a little peppermint schnapps on top. But no sipping. It's taken straight down. :D

Used to make those ALL the time when I managed a bar in La Crosse....... :LOL:

All this Wisconsin winter weather and booze talk has me thinking of a little joint west of Crivitz on cty road W we used to stop at years ago after spending some hours out in the snowy woods...........(Nicolet National
Forest). They were still using a wood stove for heat and draft beer was 25 cents a glass. There was a friendly bartender named Lori....... Lots of fun in the winter time if you don't mind a little ice in your beard!

I'VE BEEN TO THAT PLACE............can't remember the name............too many lost barin cells!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

rjk514 said:
Have stayed in Az,Fla,SC,Al,Ky...Have found Az to be the best...Plan on being a snowbird starting in 2008 if all goes well...see ya at the golf
course....this is all assuming my brain thaws out after this winter here
in Wisconsin...Rock on... 8)

Have visited and researched northern AL....what were your impressions...good and bad? Plan is to retire somewhere with all the seasons BUT NO SNOW...and a decent cost of living. The downside of WI is the high taxes. Guess it is 4th or 5th in the country now.

3 more years and it looks like AL will be home unless we can be persuaded otherwise!!!

Checked the temp. outside, a balmy -14 degrees ..that should be enough push to get everyone to move out of Wisconsin. You have to have a screw loose to live here...

rjk514 said:
Checked the temp. outside, a balmy -14 degrees ..that should be enough push to get everyone to move out of Wisconsin. You have to have a screw loose to live here...
Just wait a few years. Global warming is going to be good for you guys up there. :)

sgeeeee said:
Just wait a few years. Global warming is going to be good for you guys up there. :)

It's SEVEN degrees outside right now and the radios are all talking about a windchill frostbite advisory in effect. That's something I haven't heard of since the winter of 1981 (Norway, 150 miles above the Arctic Circle and 5800 feet above sea level). I don't see a whole lot of evidence of global warming right now.

Cut-Throat's right. We are having a warm winter up here in Calgary. It only got down to -35 C this winter and the Bow didn't quite freeze over. Yet.

sgeeeee said:
Only at select elevations!

Cut-Throat said:
Then you haven't been paying attention.

I am not convinced. I've read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". And as usual he does a marvelous job of citing sources. And as he indicates, our oh-so-liberal media can do a marvelous job of misleading entire societies and putting whatever slant they believe is best for their bottom lines on pretty much any story.

The problem is there are just as many scientists who will tell you that global warming is not happening as there are who claim it is. And if you examine the historical evidence you will see that the Earth has been in a warming trend for pretty much the last ten thousand years, long before Man could have had any significant impact. (With the exception of the "Mini Ice Age" that only lasted from the 14th to the 18th century. The book by that name is fascinating reading.)

I tend to believe this warming is part of the long-term natural flux of the Earth's environment. It will continue long past our life times, and maybe past the decline of our civilizations. Then it's going to start cooling again, but I'm not sure mankind will even be around to see that. We are a fairly self-destructive lot, as a whole.

retiredbop said:
The problem is there are just as many scientists who will tell you that global warming is not happening as there are who claim it is.

Absolutely untrue! - There are a handful of crackpot scientists that believe as you say. The fact is that well over 95% of the world's scientists believe in Global warming, that man has caused it and it will have severe repercussions for the world.

Back
Top Bottom