Work Dream/Nightmare

read somewhere that from a lucid dream, you can direct your "consciousness" to actual physical locations outside of your inner dream world...like an out of body experience

For me, it's just knowing (while I'm dreaming) that this is a dream. I can manipulate the dream, or awaken myself, but that's about it. I don't know how to do an out of body experience while dreaming. Most, but not all, of my dreaming is lucid.

For me, it's just knowing (while I'm dreaming) that this is a dream. I can manipulate the dream, or awaken myself, but that's about it. I don't know how to do an out of body experience while dreaming. Most, but not all, of my dreaming is lucid.

if you are curious, from lucidity, you could focus or concentrate on someone close to you, but who does not live with you, to see if your consciousness moves to their physical location. Apparently, this is supposed to be easy from the lucid state.

you could then note some of the things that you might see in the house of that person, like, brown cup on coffee table....then call the person the next day and ask them if there is or was brown cup on the coffee table, thinking in terms of things that are not in place when you are visiting normalwise.

IF you were able to confirm for yourself that your consciousness can separate from your body in this way, well, you would know something pretty interesting

not something I have done myself, just read about. I do realise this is kooky stuff.

if you are curious, from lucidity, you could focus or concentrate on someone close to you, but who does not live with you, to see if your consciousness moves to their physical location. Apparently, this is supposed to be easy from the lucid state.

you could then note some of the things that you might see in the house of that person, like, brown cup on coffee table....then call the person the next day and ask them if there is or was brown cup on the coffee table, thinking in terms of things that are not in place when you are visiting normalwise.

IF you were able to confirm for yourself that your consciousness can separate from your body in this way, well, you would know something pretty interesting

not something I have done myself, just read about. I do realise this is kooky stuff.

It might be interesting. I don't care if it sounds kooky. :) Thanks for the idea, and I will give it some thought.

Yes, everyday. Why do you think you see me post at 3 to 4 AM? I would go to sleep, and then wake up thinking about the political battle ahead such as my all-time-favorite: person bitches for an hour about having to attend a 30 minute meeting in which actual work gets done because it's the only time to get 2 distant teams together to hash out use cases and APIs. Of course, the said bitching always has to occur within the ear shot of the big boss just to show how "with it" said bitching person is. Fun.

I have those along with the nightmares of "recalled to active duty" and "have to go serve more restriction for all your college demerits".

Reminds me of the joke letter we sent to a popular Sgt. after he retired and moved to Williamsburg, VA. On letterhead stationery we told him that he'd been recalled (which they can do in some dire emergency) and that his worst nightmare had been promoted to station commander.

He later said that he had to read it three times before he realized it was a joke.:LOL:

...(snip)...For example I dreamed that I was playing solitaire, but the face cards were real people, reminiscent of those animated playing cards in Alice in Wonderland. They were carrying on conversations among themselves and with me while I played. That was certainly entertaining.
Nice dream W2r. I wish I could recall such a cool dream though I might have had some. Sounds like one of those well done video graphics commercials.

I am still working and so I have work dreams almost every day, I have to get up and watch TV or surf to clear my mind. I expect that to persist for a while after I quit.

But DW tells me, 'they'll go away but you'll always worry about something, probably running out of money will replace your work bad dreams.' I forget why I married her (JOKING!!!)?

:whistle:

Happy to know others have similar work dreams/nightmares.

The recurring dream/nightmare I have is that I'm still working away at the office. Others in my workgroup most recently before I FIRE'd or some from past years are there. In the dream/nightmare I realized, I haven't entered my timesheet for months. Also I've been working but not on the payroll, just volunteering to "help out" the megacorp. Finally, I relalize, "I'm retired! Free, don't need this anymore"

Sometimes I wake up depressed, thinking "oh my, that was vivid" other times I wake up happy, thinking, "that was then, this is now..I'm retired!"

I often had those 'back at work' dreams at first, but they eventually tapered off. I have them occasionally but realize very quickly that I really am retired.
(I also sometimes do lucid dreaming)

The dreams of being naked in public, trying to find a final exam for a course I never attended, trying desperately to try to write something important but not being able to, all the stress dreams... tapered off.

I still sometimes have the dream about not being able to find my car, but realize that it is a re4current dream and wake up.

Also stopped clenching/grinding my teeth.

I have only been ER'd 10 days and had a vivid work dream. I dreamed I got up--went to work--and was working away in my cubicle. After a couple of hours someone walked by and said, "Hey, aren't you retired?"

Can't say I ever had those dreams but then again I was never confined to a cubicle either. I sort of enjoyed my career for what it was and am enjoying the afterlife for what it is. Come to think of it, I just don't dream much

I also had the "forgot to take a final exam, or didn't do the required course work to pass a class and get my degree" Had them for years, well after college and into my career. I wish someone could interpret this dream, would be interesting. Oh and since I ER'd / Switched roles with the wife four years ago the dreams went away, must have been some Megacorp overload related thing.

I'll go on record as saying I used to have really heavy cold sweat/heart pounding and racing dreams about having to take an exam at school and worrying that I might not be ready, which to me at that stage of my life meant making an A on a test. This went on for probably 10 years or more after graduating.
And in the first couple years of starting the ad agency, I'd wake up in a cold sweat/heart racing and pounding in the middle of the night during the deadline period and start reciting to myself what I needed to do the next day. One night about 2:30 am I did this and said, "It's 2:30 AM in the morning. What the h*ll can I do about this NOW?" And, for some reason, those remarks to myself took hold and the waking up stopped. Never had another problem during the next 14 years.
I'm not very anxiety ridden either, so I can't imagine what folks who are go thru. Ohh...to be a sociopath where nothing bothers you...

I am so glad to hear that others have had this type ...and I am also glad to hear that for most people they eventually taper off!

I am so glad to hear that others have had this type ...and I am also glad to hear that for most people they eventually taper off!
What you remember may taper off but I've read that we typically have 4 to 6 dreams per night. Probably only remember a fraction of those dreams. So you could be in a Twilight Zone mode for some time :angel:.

Work is enough of a nightmare that I don't need to fill my quota while I am asleep...

Well, I still have w*rk dreams. But one I had last night was a bit different. Usually, my dream would be that I'm still w*rking, volunteering to help out, then realize that I'm retired.

The one I had last night, I was looking for my cubicle one one of my first supervisors says that there isn't a cubicle for me.

Maybe that's progress...and w*rk life is more in the rear view mirror? :greetings10:

I have had occasional work dreams so far, though surprisingly few. I dream that there are problems, tough situations and my replacement and supervisor are unsure of how to handle this. They are so glad and relieved to see me and ply me with a barrage of worried questions about what I recommend that they do.

I laugh in a reassuring way, trying to defuse the panic, remind them of the big picture, tell them that they are overthinking this, and that really all they have to do is (whatever it is that I would do in that situation).

On reflection when alone in my cubicle I realize that although they aren't handling things quite the same way I would, still nothing has blown up in their faces and they are learning. So, I smile and bid them farewell, knowing all will be fine. Sort of.

.... snip............The one I had last night, I was looking for my cubicle one one of my first supervisors says that there isn't a cubicle for me.

I'm in yr # 8 of ER, and still occasionally have a work dream. Almost always the same format... I'm looking for my desk, I finally find it shoved off in a corner, blocked in by other desks in a big room loaded with desks and people. My stuff is gone, chair is gone, etc., and no one pays me any attention. It's like I've been burgled, marginalized, cast out. :confused:

I have had one other work dream though. I'm in a conference room, a big problem has come up, people are coming up with ridiculous solutions to it (No, I did NOT work at the TSA :LOL:). I'm getting worked up about it, nobody seems to be listening, and then it starts to dawn on me that I'm retired, it doesn't matter, why am I there at all? And the dream fades with me in good shape. I'd like to have this dream supercede the other one!

I have had occasional work dreams so far, though surprisingly few. I dream that there are problems, tough situations and my replacement and supervisor are unsure of how to handle this. They are so glad and relieved to see me and ply me with a barrage of worried questions about what I recommend that they do.
Hey that was the dream I had last night and I'm into my 3rd year.
Other dreams are that I'm on a deadline and new equipment arrives for intallationl that won't fit therefore I have to modify but there's not enough time to do it. If I don't there is a huge penalty and my boss get's fired and I'm ..................well let's not go there.

When will these dreams stop and my DW can't understand why I'm still having them.

I'm in yr # 8 of ER, and still occasionally have a work dream. Almost always the same format... I'm looking for my desk, I finally find it shoved off in a corner, blocked in by other desks in a big room loaded with desks and people. My stuff is gone, chair is gone, etc., and no one pays me any attention. It's like I've been burgled, marginalized, cast out. :confused:

I have had one other work dream though. I'm in a conference room, a big problem has come up, people are coming up with ridiculous solutions to it (No, I did NOT work at the TSA :LOL:). I'm getting worked up about it, nobody seems to be listening, and then it starts to dawn on me that I'm retired, it doesn't matter, why am I there at all? And the dream fades with me in good shape. I'd like to have this dream supercede the other one!

I still have this one occasionally.

Hey that was the dream I had last night and I'm into my 3rd year.
Hey, what can I say? I guess I am having advanced ER dreams already. I've always been a quick study. :LOL:
My Dream said:
Other dreams are that I'm on a deadline and new equipment arrives for intallationl that won't fit therefore I have to modify but there's not enough time to do it. If I don't there is a huge penalty and my boss get's fired and I'm ..................well let's not go there.
I haven't been having those, fortunately. Sounds awful.
When will these dreams stop and my DW can't understand why I'm still having them.
You are still letting go. There's nothing wrong with that. Our careers are a big part of our lives for years.

It will be 3 years for me in April 2010. I can't remember any w*rk dreams for months and months and months...now watch, I just jinxed myself and I'll probably have one tonight. :rolleyes:

I don't think these sort of dreams ever end entirely. I've been out of college for 40 years and last night I had a nightmare about not being able to locate the building or classroom where I was supposed to take my English final....

I don't think these sort of dreams ever end entirely. I've been out of college for 40 years and last night I had a nightmare about not being able to locate the building or classroom where I was supposed to take my English final....

That really HAPPENED to me on my Thermodynamics final. I had to drop my daughter off right before the final so I knew that I did not have a second to spare, and then I could not find a parking place. Once I found one, and hiked across campus I had a hard time finding the building and room. I was running around like an idiot looking everywhere for it and asking strangers if they had an exam schedule on them. One did, so I finally found out where to go.

This was like a nightmare in so many ways - - time slowed down, there was no end to my search, and even when I knew the room number the exam was in a basement room with a separate entrance that I couldn't find so I was running around in the *other* basement and finding nothing, nothing, nothing anywhere. :2funny:

I was significantly late by the time I found the room - - maybe 45 minutes or an hour. The professor let me stay 5-10 minutes late while he collected the exams, but I was so frazzled by that time that it didn't help and people were coming in to take the next exam for another class. There went my "A", and actually I was relieved to get a "B" for that tough class under the circumstances.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom