Workouts - 2021

Bodyweight lunges - 3 x 10
Squats - 2 warmup sets, 5 sets of 15 x 90
Trap bar deadlifts - 2 sets 10 x 110
Bench press - 2 warmup sets, 5 sets of 15 x 90,
One arm dumbbell rows - 2 warmup sets, 5 sets of 15 x 45

I felt like increasing the weight from the last workout but then decided to just add in some deadlifts. Someone wiser than me once said you can increase reps, weight, or sets...but only one of them at a time.

Had to move the treadmill and it was folded up behind stuff, so I power walked 4k outside today and then did a light 1k jog at the end.

Today did my typical workout.

An hour on the elliptical at the gym + 100 sit-ups.

Followed by 56 minutes, 10 miles, 1,493’ of elevation change hauling down and grinding up my favorite gnarly trails on my mountain bike.

Lunges - 10, 10 (no weight, done as warmup)
Squats - 15 x 40, 15 x 70, 15 x 90
Bench press - 15 x 40, 15 x 70, 15 x 90
One arm dumbbell rows - 15 x 30,x 15 x 40, 15 x 45

Just out of curiosity, could somebody please translate the above numbers?
I'm guessing that each row lists 3 sets (e.g. Squats - 15 x 40, 15 x 70, 15 x 90) and that each set consists of 15 reps, but what is 40, 70, and 90?

I mostly do exercise DVD's as I cannot memorize routines in my head, but when I think about it, a list as above on a post-note would be a good alternative when I go outside to do lighter workouts.
When outside, I walk briskly 0.6 miles with 8 lbs dumbbells 3 times and do a few sets of random exercises (pushups, lunges/squats with dumbbells, etc.) in between.

Thanks

Just out of curiosity, could somebody please translate the above numbers?

I'm guessing that each row lists 3 sets (e.g. Squats - 15 x 40, 15 x 70, 15 x 90) and that each set consists of 15 reps, but what is 40, 70, and 90 ......

I’m not the poster, but I assume 40, 70, 90 is referring to the weight lifted in pounds

Squats - 3 warmup sets, 5 sets of 15 x 110
Trap bar deadlifts - 3 sets 10 x 110
Bench press - 3 warmup sets, 5 sets of 15 x 100,
One arm dumbbell rows - 2 warmup sets, 5 sets of 15 x 50

I'm being overly cautious...the workouts have been easy but I missed a lot of time. So far I've resisted the temptation to increase the intensity too quickly.

Right now I am fast walking 5 times a week, alternating 3 miles one day (45 minutes) and 4 the next (1hr). I would love to jog but it messes up my neck so walking fast and often is the way to go for me. I need to start doing upper body but I always find a reason not to.

30 minutes of cardio in the park. After warming up I run fast for a minute or two, then walk a bit. Repeat til I hit 3 miles.

I've been doing dumbells for upper-body at home, 3 sets of 12 at various weights, along with box jumps for legs, 5 sets of 12. I really like the box jumps. I do them quickly to help maintain focus and agility. Also been getting in a couple 10-12 mile bike rides each week on the hilly roads around home. The weather's been on the warm side, with temps in the mid to upper 40s most days. The first 2.8 miles with the 450 ft of downhill can be a bit chilly, though.

My gym opened up again, but with more restrictions than the last time they reopened. Now you have to make a reservation and are supposed to keep your mask on all the time, even when exercising. About half the people doing cardio were compliant, and most in the weight area were. Also, your stay is limited to 45 minutes. I guess they don't want anyone socializing, as us regulars are prone to do. I didn't get much of a workout in yesterday, as I spent a good 10 minutes catching up with the custodian on his new baby, born a month ago.

At the 45-minute mark, there was announcement that it was time to wrap it up and get out. Almost not worth driving over there. The gym, LA Fitness, has extended memberships to cover the time they've been closed, so this gets them off the hook for having to extend more while sales are down. Annoying, but good I guess, since no one wants them to go under. And it was really cool of them to extend our memberships.

age 59 male
dumbbell squats 2 sets, 10 x 130
calf raises, 2 sets, 40 x 130
dumbbell rows, 1 set, 8 x 70
push-ups, 3 sets to muscle exhaustion
pull-ups, 2 sets to muscle exhaustion
running 28 miles/week, 10 min/mile

On the squats, I get winded well before I feel any leg burn.
When I was 19, I would always get leg burn well before I ran
out of breath. Do you all feel winded or get leg burn first?

My gym opened up again, but with more restrictions than the last time they reopened. Now you have to make a reservation and are supposed to keep your mask on all the time, even when exercising. About half the people doing cardio were compliant, and most in the weight area were.

I stopped going to my gym early this week because of lack of compliance and staff inaction in enforcing the rules. I prefer not to exercise with a mask, but I do, and I was tired of seeing others with their masks slipped below their noses. I have access to all Planet Fitness gyms and tried two others nearby. Same results.

So- I have a treadmill at home but that's pretty boring (although it got me through the last gym closing from March through early summer), a bicycle that got me VERY nicely through the summer, and a TRX. Yesterday I started looking for on-line video workouts. I like all 3 that I've tried so far including one for the TRX. "Mixing it up" with different exercises will be better for my body than an hour at the same machine.

I just checked- my most recent annual fee was paid on October 1 and I'm paying only $10/month (United Healthcare chips in another $10). I will think long and hard about renewing before then.

age 59 male
dumbbell squats 2 sets, 10 x 130
calf raises, 2 sets, 40 x 130
dumbbell rows, 1 set, 8 x 70
push-ups, 3 sets to muscle exhaustion
pull-ups, 2 sets to muscle exhaustion
running 28 miles/week, 10 min/mile

On the squats, I get winded well before I feel any leg burn.
When I was 19, I would always get leg burn well before I ran
out of breath. Do you all feel winded or get leg burn first?

I've noticed that I get winded more first as I've gotten older. Maybe cardiac output and general fitness level have decreased a bit.

Iron level could be an issue too.

No gym today. Instead went on an extended workout on my full suspension mountain bike.

30 miles and 3,500 ft of hill climbing in 3-1/2 hours

I stopped going to my gym early this week because of lack of compliance and staff inaction in enforcing the rules. I prefer not to exercise with a mask, but I do, and I was tired of seeing others with their masks slipped below their noses. I have access to all Planet Fitness gyms and tried two others nearby. Same results.

So- I have a treadmill at home but that's pretty boring (although it got me through the last gym closing from March through early summer), a bicycle that got me VERY nicely through the summer, and a TRX. Yesterday I started looking for on-line video workouts. I like all 3 that I've tried so far including one for the TRX. "Mixing it up" with different exercises will be better for my body than an hour at the same machine.

I just checked- my most recent annual fee was paid on October 1 and I'm paying only $10/month (United Healthcare chips in another $10). I will think long and hard about renewing before then.

The Concept 2 rower is pretty awesome for a good upper and lower body aerobic workout. Much less boring than a treadmill. Not that expensive compared to other exercise equipment. But might be hard to find these days.

The Concept 2 rower is pretty awesome for a good upper and lower body aerobic workout. Much less boring than a treadmill. Not that expensive compared to other exercise equipment. But might be hard to find these days.

I've also found my Concept 2 rower to be useful during COVID. It's providing me some base cardio work as well as some interval training. We keep in the living room behind the couch, so it's always available. And we can watch television while we work. It's easier to monitor heart rate and train for recovery using the rowing machine.

Usually I spend a lot of time practicing baseball and playing pickleball, but those are pretty much shut down in our area. So I started working out with a Masters Track club, seeing what I can do in sprints (100m and 200m) and throws (discus, javelin), maybe high jump and long jump. All socially distanced and outdoors. It's been interesting training for more explosive and intense activity. Have to take it slower than I'd like, and I may never get age group competitive, but it's the journey rather than the result.

So far, I've done at least an hour of dedicated exercise everyday in 2021. :) MapMyRide activity tracker says over 116 miles & 9000kcal burned since Jan 1st walking/riding.
I put studded tires on my mountain bike a week ago. The weather in south-central Alaska has been warmer than usual this winter. We have nicely iced roads and trails for winter biking, so I'm doing that for daily activity now. I went down to the shoreline at the river mouth today, 12 miles round trip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm also a fan of compound movements. Not only is it more efficient working several muscles at once, it also promotes balance by ensuring that the your muscles develop together as a group and the smaller supporting muscles are worked.

Compound movement exercise may be what I need more of.

Since my knee surgery, I have done a lot to increase my leg strength which faded badly after two years of babying the knee and then recovery from the surgery. I also so some upper body strength training for the chest and arms and some for my core. However......

Recently, I have begun to realize I have lost range of motion and my muscles just don't coordinate well with each other. Its hard to explain, but putting a heavy box up on a shelf doesn't go smoothly. Neither does taking the box down. IOW, if I was the Tin Man, I would be suffering from rusted joints. :)

I watched a few of the Team Body Project videos and they seems to offer what I need - more coordinated motion. I would appreciate any other recommendations for a workout plan/system that includes more full body motion.

Compound movement exercise may be what I need more of.

Since my knee surgery, I have done a lot to increase my leg strength which faded badly after two years of babying the knee and then recovery from the surgery. I also so some upper body strength training for the chest and arms and some for my core. However......

Recently, I have begun to realize I have lost range of motion and my muscles just don't coordinate well with each other. Its hard to explain, but putting a heavy box up on a shelf doesn't go smoothly. Neither does taking the box down. IOW, if I was the Tin Man, I would be suffering from rusted joints. :)

I watched a few of the Team Body Project videos and they seems to offer what I need - more coordinated motion. I would appreciate any other recommendations for a workout plan/system that includes more full body motion.

Squats work your quads, calves, hamstrings, glutes, and core.
Chinups/pull downs work your back and biceps...chinups also work the core, pulldowns less so.
Pushup/bench press work chest, shoulders, and triceps. Pushups will work the core, bench press won't.

Mix up pushups/bench with over head press or incline press. Mix up chinups/pulldowns with seated rows or bent over dumbbell rows. Deadlifts will target the back and hamstrings more than squats, and are also great for grip strength.

I've found that those basic exercises work the best. I haven't done an isolated movement in over 20 years...why work out one muscle when you can work out several at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom