Workouts - 2021

Curious, what is your resting heart rate?

I’m 56 and my resting HR is very consistently in the 50-55 beats per minute range.

PRE-COVID and before my May 2020 retirement I raced a lot, but wasn’t training enough and was carrying around many extra pounds. In a 1-2 hour race situation my working heart rate back then would run in the 180-190 BPM range. Max was in the low 200s, but that was “aided” unintentionally one cold Winter morning with an extra cup of coffee, a Red Bull, and a couple shots of Albuterol (asthma). Not fun!!!

NOW am 40 pounds lighter since retirement and dropping. At the bicycle races I lined up for last Fall my working heart rate is lower at 170-180 BPM. And I’m hitting the podium again, which hasn’t happened in a very long time.

Focused training, weight loss, and the absence of crushing work stress has had a very dramatic positive impact on my health and fitness.

Thank you for the video. I need to change up my workouts every couple of weeks so I’m always on the hunt for new exercises. I used to do the cross bench pullovers, but tweaked my elbow doing skullcrushers. So now I’m taking a break from them. I do Arnold presses that start in the curled position then a overhead press, but I like the curl & press. I also do farmers carry’s and throw in lunges. One of the most brutal, but rewarding exercises. Lol
Toady 1 mile on treadmill followed by stretch bands for warmup. Then 3x10/12 sets each of ezcurl bar curls, hammer curls and 1 arm concentration curls. Then 3x10/12 sets each of bent over barbell rows, good mornings and 1 arm dumbbell rows on a bench. I’ll have to try the different variation in the video.

Some of you do very serious workouts almost at the level of crossfit.
Have you exercised as such intensity all your life or did you develop the love for hard workouts once you retired?

Do any of you use videos like YouTube or DVD's that you follow?

I have done some sort exercising for most of my life. I am not yet retired, but fully intend to continue it into retirement. In fact, if we move to a community, one of my requirements would be a good gym. It’s the one thing that I do, that is just for me. Even when I have to push myself to my workout, I always feel better afterwards.

I don’t use a video for workouts, but sometimes when I need that extra motivation, I’ll do a YouTube search for workout motivation. There are a couple of different videos that work for me.

Some of you do very serious workouts almost at the level of crossfit.
Have you exercised as such intensity all your life or did you develop the love for hard workouts once you retired? .

My workouts were very intense and always goal-driven for most of my life, but dropped off in my early 50s due to self-imposed demands at work ... I was chasing one last promotion to cap off my career.

Back
Top Bottom