World's fastest street legal car

Music Lover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Koenigsegg Agera RS. It recently set a new world record for a street legal vehicle of 284 mph (457 kph) on a closed highway in Nevada:

I'd like to see a highway trooper catch up with that! Talk about fast. I can envision one of them going from Barstow to the state line. No, I am not promoting the idea as it's dangerous and illegal, but it did get my imagination going.

WOW! And only $1.6M.

Last edited:
Read last summer about a Ford dealership in Ohio building up new Mustang GTs to 727 HP for $39,999. Don't know how fast, but must be pretty fast.........
"Lebanon Ford Performance (LFP) has found a way to build a 727 horsepower - 2017 Mustang GT for: $39,995. This is a brand new, 2017 GT with a ROUSH Phase 2 Supercharger. When we are finished, you are a set of tires, a few suspension tweaks and a good driver away from a 10.95 quarter mile. If you choose an in stock/inventory car (i.e.. stock number 170123) from us, your car will be ready in 2-3 weeks. Custom ordered cars (i.e.. we place an order through Ford for a stock unit) will be ready in approximately 10-12 weeks and can be shipped to your drive way, anywhere in the United States."

Read last summer about a Ford dealership in Ohio building up new Mustang GTs to 727 HP for $39,999. Don't know how fast, but must be pretty fast.........
"Lebanon Ford Performance (LFP) has found a way to build a 727 horsepower - 2017 Mustang GT for: $39,995. This is a brand new, 2017 GT with a ROUSH Phase 2 Supercharger. When we are finished, you are a set of tires, a few suspension tweaks and a good driver away from a 10.95 quarter mile. If you choose an in stock/inventory car (i.e.. stock number 170123) from us, your car will be ready in 2-3 weeks. Custom ordered cars (i.e.. we place an order through Ford for a stock unit) will be ready in approximately 10-12 weeks and can be shipped to your drive way, anywhere in the United States."

You do not need that much HP to run 10s in the quarter. Most naturally aspirated Camaros' can do that with less than 500 rwhp.

My last vehicle was a Mercedes with an amazing twin turbo V8 and way too much power to really use on public roads. Fun passing on two lane country roads and accelerating down the occasional on-ramp but otherwise a waste of engineering and premium gas. Replaced it with the opposite powertrain - a miserly diesel version that gets 650 miles per tank in mixed city/highway driving and seems so more appropriate for busy public roads around where I live. Do I miss that beautiful engine sometimes? You bet!

Shifting into high gear at 230 MPH - that's just amazing! I'd like to take a ride in that thing.

There's a Commander Cody song from back in the day and one of the lines in the song indicates the "lines on the road just look like dots" and that was true in this video from about 150 MPH on.

I'd like to see a highway trooper catch up with that! Talk about fast. I can envision one of them going from Barstow to the state line. No, I am not promoting the idea as it's dangerous and illegal, but it did get my imagination going.

They do not have to catch it. They can just wait for it at the next gas station...

Shifting into high gear at 230 MPH - that's just amazing! I'd like to take a ride in that thing.

+1. I couldn’t believe it when he shifted at 230. That would be one heck of a ride. The car sounded capable of 280 when it first took off.

Interesting. I thought I saw somewhere that a Bugatti Chiron had set a new record recently (before the Agera but clearly after the Mercedes). Maybe they're somewhat different record categories.

Probably something like 'world's fastest production car', but not 'fastest speed on public roads'.

Probably something like 'world's fastest production car', but not 'fastest speed on public roads'.

Yes, that is the difference. Street legal as well. -ERD50

When I was on the road I wouldn't have bothered trying. I was never suicidal.:LOL:
No, but all anyone would have to do is radio ahead and put spike strips down. It would probably be a simple matter.

Last edited:
They do not have to catch it. They can just wait for it at the next gas station...
A few years ago I read an article about the 250+ mph Bugatti Veyron. One thing I remember was the tires on the car were only rated to run 250mph for 15 mins but that was okay since the car would run out of gas in about 12 mins at top speed.

I never tried it but they say even a base model Corvette will burn up an entire tank of gas in about 75 miles at top speed. (about 190mph). Personally, I have driven several of my cars to 160+ a few times (on a track of course:angel:) but I never held that speed more than a minute at a time. (could have gone faster but the car had more testosterone than I did) Can't even imagine what it's like to drive a car at >280.

Last edited:
No, but all anyone would have to do is radio ahead and put spike strips down. It would probably be a simple matter.

Not even an overzealous officer would use spike strips in such a case. It would most likely be a death sentence for speeding. More likely, officers would show up at the guys house an hour later and ask for a ride. (How many such cars are currently in the US? Maybe half a dozen? Wouldn't be difficult to figure out who owns it even without a tag no.) YMMV:cool:

More fun to have a slow car and to drive it to it's limits . Than to have an exceptionally fast car and drive it slow all the time.

More fun to have a slow car and to drive it to it's limits . Than to have an exceptionally fast car and drive it slow all the time.
The real Breedlove (Craig) would never say such a thing.

A few years ago I read an article about the 250+ mph Bugatti Veyron. One thing I remember was the tires on the car were only rated to run 250mph for 15 mins but that was okay since the car would run out of gas in about 12 mins at top speed.

I never tried it but they say even a base model Corvette will burn up an entire tank of gas in about 75 miles at top speed. (about 190mph). Personally, I have driven several of my cars to 160+ a few times (on a track of course:angel:) but I never held that speed more than a minute at a time. (could have gone faster but the car had more testosterone than I did) Can't even imagine what it's like to drive a car at >280.
When I was a kid I drove old gas log trucks in PA. When the thing was loaded you were wide open except downhill. Big V8s with big carbs, we would get 1-2 MPG.

They wouldn't go 200 MPH either.

A few years ago I read an article about the 250+ mph Bugatti Veyron. ....

Here's some detail. The first shows some of the numbers for the Veyron. The big issue with going fast is that air drag increases with the square of speed. So 300 mph versus 250 mph is a big deal. But he also points out, that takes so much power, and all that power means lots of waste heat, so the cooling requires lots of air through radiators, and that increases drag, which increases the HP required, which increases.... and so on. Electric cars are more efficient from battery to motor, so less localized waste heat. But there is a catch - while an engine can run with components around 200F, a battery needs to be kept much cooler - so you are back to needing lots of cooling. And a clip on the new record (I have not watched yet) :

-ERD50

Lets see, unless you are interested in off road land speed record cars, how many roads or even race tracks around the world can support these type of speeds from street legal vehicles?

Lets see, unless you are interested in off road land speed record cars, how many roads or even race tracks around the world can support these type of speeds from street legal vehicles?
Not enough to make it worthwhile to buy one. But if one has money to burn and an interest in such things, then it's up to them. In any case I think it's a fun topic.

Oh by the way DFW_M5, I like your avatar. I would have used it but you beat me to it by a long ways.

Last edited:

High speed tracks require special pavements and design criteria to support the extreme speeds. Pavement slope is critical. And tracks require a special grade of asphalt - at least in the Chicagoland area.

I suppose you can say the same thing for 300 HP cars which are very common...how many people really need that much power?

Back
Top Bottom