Would you buy SpaceX shares?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If Space-X ever has an IPO, shut up and take my money.

Yes I know it would be hype and overpriced but I don't care. Take my money please.

I don't know.

But they just got the go ahead to build in my back yard (more or less).

If Space-X ever has an IPO, shut up and take my money.

Yes I know it would be hype and overpriced but I don't care. Take my money please.

Sure, Musk is a giant. Maybe not many shares of spacex per se, but a bet on Musk is a good bet in my view.

It would certainly depend on the price. One way I definitely would buy the shares if the owning the stock gave you entry into a raffle to take a ride on the Dragon..

After seeing the Dragon 2 unveiled, the Tesla is just seeming pretty bland.

Yes, I'd buy as part of my 'experimental/high risk' 5%. Probably 181 days after the IPO. :)

Absolutely buy Musk anything

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

SpaceX may be a great company but I am not sure it is a great stock at this time.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

SpaceX may be a great company but I am not sure it is a great stock at this time.

It certainly is not a great stock at this time...it is privately held!

I might if they gave out yearly reports with lots of glossy pictures.

Remember those? Does any company do that anymore? Everything is digital now.

I was (and still am) unsure if TSLA was a great company or not, but it sure has been a great stock!

-ERD50

I think SpaceX and any other private launch companies will be too closely tied to government contracts and subsidies that they will not generate much profit other than to their founders. However, its much better than giving money to the Russians IMO.

Yes, when one of my index funds buys them.

-ERD50

Yes, when one of my index funds buys them.

-ERD50

This is such a tired response.

Nobody ever says dang, I am bummed Enron went bust because I owned it in my index fund.

This is such a tired response.

Nobody ever says dang, I am bummed Enron went bust because I owned it in my index fund.

Guilty as charged, it is a pretty tired response. But it's mostly true, I just don't do much individual stock picking anymore.

But I honestly don't get your point in the second line. The index is obviously going to be made up of winners and losers.

-ERD50

I was (and still am) unsure if TSLA was a great company or not, but it sure has been a great stock!

-ERD50

How can you say Tesla isn't a great company. It made one good, and one great product, despite tremendous obstacles. Even if Tesla disappear tomorrow and a few years from now everyone decides that electric cars are silly fade, I think Tesla will have still have been a company that had a significant impact on a huge and important industry.

The Tesla UI for the touchscreen is going to be widely copied in the same way that the Mac, and the iPhone were.

Secondly, wireless software patching of car is going to the standard in the future, I bet Tesla advanced the adaptation of this technology by many years.

Practically every week there is another massive recall from an automaker. Perhaps 1/2 of these recalls could be fixed with software (e.g. anything to do with engine controls). The Tesla response to running over objects that caused fires was a software updated that raised the car.. These car patches will save billions and probably more than a few lives.

Only one two individual stocks and Tesla is one of them, JPM is the other. Inherited the JPM and bought 100 shares of Tesla just for S & Giggles.

I wonder if I'll be able to see rocket launches from my house? 80 miles.

How can you say Tesla isn't a great company. ...

I said I'm 'unsure' (I try to choose my words carefully, but I flub a lot too). I didn't say the are NOT great.

I agree with you, they have many great accomplishments. Just getting the Tesla car past the 'vaporware' stage was very, very impressive - even if the car wasn't all that impressive, and it is.

I only said 'unsure' because I'm not convinced the market will be as large as many are thinking (for reasons I've expressed before, no need to re-hash here). But maybe Tesla can do well at some smaller level (many companies do), and after various tax credits/subsidies go away (maybe they will be re-instated?) . I just think it's a little too soon to tell, that's all.

But I am impressed, amazed even, at their accomplishments - like you say, so many obstacles, it's mind-boggling. And I'd be happy if I could just manually update my car's firmware with a USB stick that I manually updated on my computer. But even that seems like a long way away for these other non-Silicon-Valley car companies. But I'm not ready to drop $100,000, or even $50,000 for something like that, when I drive < 6,000 per year on each vehicle.

-ERD50

If they had an IPO, it would be very cool if they issued a ton of shares so each was priced very low and if they came with a cool physical stock certificate. Intaglio borders, a picture of Elon looking out into space, etc. I'd want to own one of those as a souvenir, a frame-able memento indicating I was on board for the launch of a possibly historic company.

Would I buy SpaceX shares? I would buy [-]anything[/-] most things if I know or think that the price is right.

And if I don't know, or rather too lazy to think about it as we most often do not really know but only guess, then I don't buy.

Me bad ERD, I read your post wrong.

In truth I am uncertain if Tesla will still be around in 3 years much less 30 years. They still obviously face many obstacles. Plus my friend who is a senior engineer, told me they are increasingly facing challenge hiring good people. Google, who is a lot more profitable is outbidding Tesla for engineers, and the prospect of $200 TSLA options is far less attractive than $10 options. In addition there are bunch of giant dinosaurs in the car business, who while much less agile than TSLA, their bite could deliver a fatal blow.

I'd been inclined to buy SpaceX more as show of support than anything else. Five and certainly 10 years ago I had basically given up any hope of the US space program doing anything as exciting or inspiring as building a lunar colony or landing on Mars.

The season finale of Mad Men had scene of everybody clustered around their TV watching the moon landing. The show did a pretty good job capturing the magic. Thanks to Elon, I am cautiously optimistic that there maybe one more magical space moment in my life.

What SamClem said a stock certificate suitable for framing..

Back
Top Bottom