would you consider this "dumping" ?

I walk my neighborhood for exercise, to pick up trash, to note people who are not neighbors for future reference (give them the eyeball to let them know I am there), and to look for evidence of things going on that could be a community wide problem. On occasion I find something that was dumped or escaped the trash. If I know who the trash belongs to, I pick it up and leave it on their door step. If it is a careless mistake, I leave a note kindly asking to secure their trash. If it is purposely littering or dumping and I know who it belongs to, I leave a note to please not litter and state "Make your neighborhood the neighborhood you want to live in." Sometimes you can find out who the trash belongs to by examining it for names addresses etc. Sometimes it is something that the person doesn't know they have lost it and returning the items is something they are grateful for. If an item is of value and there is no way to identify who it belongs to, I use the neighborhood email system to notify the an item has been found and can be claimed by calling my home phone. I even noted one time a young man in his car throwing rotten meat into the woods. I noted the car and the license plate number. Then I found the car in my neighborhood and asked some people sitting outside who the car belonged to. This was a group of people who had emigrated to the US. I explained that the rotten meat was not good for the animals he might think he is helping and definitely not in the best interest of the community. Those people responded that they knew who had done it and would take care of the problem. It was taken care of. The best part of all this is that my neighbors see me collecting the litter and the amount of litter has decreased over time due to their knowledge that someone does care about what the neighborhood looks like. Now regularly, neighbors stop and thank me for what I am doing. The solution is to help change the culture and gain pressure from those who want a great neighborhood vs the ones who trash your neighborhood. If you do note something that signifies larger problems, notify the police. In one instance it resulted in apprehension of someone they were looking for.

I do the same! I pick up the litter every day on our road. Just disgusting. The things I find on the side of the road you just would not believe. Every so often, someone stops their car and thanks me. I am the only one that does this. I hope to move in a few years and all I can say to the other residents is "good Luck" - the place will be looking like a dump in just a few years after I leave.

No question it's dumping, but I also get upset at the neighbors that "dump" their yard waste into the woods. Piles of grass clippings, branches, leaves and even the occasional Christmas tree.....

No question it's dumping, but I also get upset at the neighbors that "dump" their yard waste into the woods. Piles of grass clippings, branches, leaves and even the occasional Christmas tree.....
I pick up the leaves in the gutter along my street to form mulch a few paces off the street along with acorns from my yard. The thin soil does not support tree growth in my area and hope that oak trees will grow in that area. The leaves know no property line and people don't pick them up. I let them settle in the gutter then put my mower on the lowest setting with a bag. It chops up the leaves and bags them. Then I just line the street in the green space across the street with mulch. The acorns I blow into a bunch and pick them up and lay in the mulch.

Back
Top Bottom