Would you fight for this?

Latest update from the Relax The Back corporation:

"I wanted to let you know Andrew Leblanc is refunding you for the brackets. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with."

Glad it worked out.

Can you post a closeup of the metal at the failure point. If it's shiny and lots of sharp corners, that's a fatigue failure, a clear design defect, means the didn't use enough metal or the wrong type/grade. Bend a paperclip back and forth until it breaks to get a feel for the appearance of fatigue.

see attached

Attachments

• image_105747139.jpg
    image_105747139.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image_67109889.jpg
    image_67109889.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 28
The bright shiny jagged pattern is classic fatigue. So it is a manufacturing/design problem. They could have used a thicker piece of metal, added gussets, used a more rounded corner. Instead they chose to sell you something that is guaranteed to break. Certainly worth an e-mail to them to complain, beyond that is a personal preference on how you want to spend your time.

Glad it was resolved. Otherwise, horrible customer service. It's a shame they gave you grief over just a $2 pc of metal. They are trying to make the fix a profit center...

We just had to contact Blendtec over a container that lost it's seal. Super easy process and they shipped another to us instantly (even free shipping). They will get tons more praise than poo-poo for doing this. It's a 3 year old blender, so it could have gone either way...

Last edited:
And why do a couple of plates cost $112? Maybe $30 with shipping, tops.

I would pursue this just because I have the time, and it's outrageous for a $3500 chair not to cover this. And I'd start with taking good pictures of the new parts, and the broken parts, to the manager of the store I bought the chair from, and asking that the store take it up with the manufacturer. If I were a manager of that store, I'd whip $150 out of the till AND give you a gift card to a good restaurant.

I guess the lifetime warranty is for the however the product lasts, not how long you last. When it dies, so does the warranty…seems your product died, so the warranty is also done. In our household, most furniture doesn’t stick around long enough for us to use any so called lifetime warranties anyway. If it were me and I really liked the chairs, I’d fork up the $112 and be done with it (but give bad reviews whenever I ran across anything by the company, being VERY CAREFUL to only complain about no more than EXACTLY what happened to avoid any libel suits). But then again, if it were me, and these broke, DW would have them out the door before I could order the parts, especially at 9 years old.

Look to see if this manufacturer has a Facebook page, too. You’d be surprised what talking about this and providing the proof on social media will do.

In fact, one of my favorite podcasts is Clark Howard, and he says that a lot — trying to call them, writing letters to them — whoever them is — doesn’t work nearly as well as getting on Facebook and saying can you believe this?

They want their Facebook to be nice and pretty so they can sell more stuff.

I heard the 2022 Webster's Dictionary will be removing the word warranty because it's no longer used in the USA and most people don't honor it.

I'm glad you stuck with it and finally got what was right to you. I read a lot would have just not done anything, but you had a war that was very winnable.

Thanks for the update.

$112 is a cheap repair on that pricey a chair. Swallow it and get on with your life. Or toss the chair & simplify your life & your needs. No one needs that kind of stress. If you want to stand on a principle, pick one that matters, like ensuring voting rights for everyone, or feeding the needy in our country or in others. You're rich, so spread it around and make yourself feel good by that sharing. Pay off someone's car debt or college debt. Volunteer at a hospice or food shelf. Make your life worth while, instead of making someone else's life miserable with a lawsuit that doesn't matter in the big scheme.

$112 is a cheap repair on that pricey a chair. Swallow it and get on with your life. Or toss the chair & simplify your life & your needs. No one needs that kind of stress. If you want to stand on a principle, pick one that matters, like ensuring voting rights for everyone, or feeding the needy in our country or in others. You're rich, so spread it around and make yourself feel good by that sharing. Pay off someone's car debt or college debt. Volunteer at a hospice or food shelf. Make your life worth while, instead of making someone else's life miserable with a lawsuit that doesn't matter in the big scheme.

That list is fine but I think world peace is more important...112 bucks won't do much in the department.

I would argue that we have matters "like ensuring voting rights for everyone, or feeding the needy in our country or in others." unresolved because we are letting small issues like this go without any consequences.

I am not advocating to spend our lives fighting resolving issues like this. But isn't in a clear and simply lies? How does it make our life better overall ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom