Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have not yet read The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity by Carlo Cipolla, I recommend it. It's informative and highly entertaining.
Sorry to mention it, but a very elderly man took off his m* in the small lobby of our bank yesterday, loudly proclaiming that “True Christians” wouldn’t catch the virus. He was very cantankerous, and easily could have been 90. We were waiting to access our safe deposit box, and the place was almost empty. We were able to wait on the other side of the room.

Last edited:
This is for all the dumbasses crowing about the low mortality rate and wondering where all the deaths were:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/17/tex...ate-braces-for-rising-coronavirus-deaths.html

Texas officials and funeral home directors are ordering extra body bags and refrigerated trucks as they prepare for an increase in deaths from Covid-19, which has already killed 3,657 in the state.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is sending 14 refrigerated trucks to the state next week — on top of the eight already sent — to serve as temporary mortuaries, while some funeral homes are reserving their own trucks from private companies.

“The directors I’ve talked to in the last week are at capacity or over capacity, thus the reason they had to bring in the trailers,” said Gene Allen, president of the Texas Funeral Directors Association.

So cases in the US were over 70k yesterday. It is hard to see how we are not headed for lockdowns once again.

It seems we’re going to hit that 100K cases per day that Fauci warned about, sooner, rather than later.

Sorry to mention it, but a very elderly man took off his m* in the small lobby of our bank yesterday, loudly proclaiming that “True Christians” wouldn’t catch the virus. He was very cantankerous, and easily could have been 90. We were waiting to access our safe deposit box, and the place was almost empty. We were able to wait on the other side of the room.

Not surprising. I was sitting outside in my car at the local convenience store the day after a mask ordinance was placed. We're up to probably 25% compliance - which is better than 0% - but of the people that were wearing masks, I'd say the majority were younger. None of the 70+ year-olds with obvious underlying conditions were masked.

Can't fix stupid.

It will be interesting to observe, IF people wear masks and IF people continue to follow good hand washing, how that will/may effect the flu season?
Hopefully, both SARS CoV2 and Flu will be lower this winter.

I have to say, with the exception noted above, m* compliance is very high,and people are good about distancing. State mandated now for a while. I sure hope it makes a big difference because we are already in deep doo-doo.

I have to say, with the exception noted above, m* compliance is very high,and people are good about distancing. State mandated now for a while. I sure hope it makes a big difference because we are already in deep doo-doo.
We all know you are no fool, and so I hope/assume you are staying home and avoiding contact with people as much as you possibly can, for the time being. The situation in Texas sounds pretty dire.

Remember that eventually the numbers in your area will improve, and it will become safer to do things outside the home. A good goal is to not catch this stupid virus in the meantime.

(In other words, I am concerned about you and other Texans, and hope for the best. Take care. :) )

Remember that eventually the numbers in your area will improve, and it will become safer to do things outside the home. A good goal is to not catch this stupid virus in the meantime.

+1

Months ago I saw estimates that if no vaccine was forthcoming within the next few years, 70% of the population would eventually get the virus. That would mean 30% would not, and with a US population of 330 milllion, I'm striving to be among those 99 million who don't. :)

It will be interesting to observe, IF people wear masks and IF people continue to follow good hand washing, how that will/may effect the flu season?
Hopefully, both SARS CoV2 and Flu will be lower this winter.

+1 I will probably get a flu shot this fall, but likely don't need to as my chances of getting the flu seems very low this year. Of course, not a good year to press one's luck.

+1 I will probably get a flu shot this fall, but likely don't need to as my chances of getting the flu seems very low this year. Of course, not a good year to press one's luck.
That's exactly my thinking. It is tempting to pass, though, if we're still quarantining. I might ask my doctor during my (telehealth) checkup next week.

Last edited:

That is an interesting one. I faithfully get a flu shot this year for whatever good it does me. I would like to get one this year, but I suppose that will depend on how badly Covid is running wild here and whether I am convinced I can safely get a shot. Can't imagine I will have much chance of getting it, but also not a good year to spin the wheel.

That is an interesting one. I faithfully get a flu shot this year for whatever good it does me. I would like to get one this year, but I suppose that will depend on how badly Covid is running wild here and whether I am convinced I can safely get a shot. Can't imagine I will have much chance of getting it, but also not a good year to spin the wheel.

I figure I'll be going to my PCP for my annual check up either way, but if it gets really bad and I put that off, I can get a flu shot at the pharmacy in my grocery store (probably costco pharmacy offers them as well?)

I know you go months without going to the store, so ymmv, but I figure even in the worst case I'll still be doing a weekly food stop of some sort.

+1

Months ago I saw estimates that if no vaccine was forthcoming within the next few years, 70% of the population would eventually get the virus. That would mean 30% would not, and with a US population of 330 milllion, I'm striving to be among those 99 million who don't. :)

Yes but at what cost putting your life on hold until a highly effective vaccine or herd immunity pops up? I feel like we will have a vaccine before herd immunity pops up I sure hope that is what happens.

I suspect at some point we will all pick and choose about the "exposure" that is worth it to us...i.e. seeing family or young grandchildren, church, eating out etc.

+1

+1 Well said.

Louisiana is considered by some to be "Texas East", so I guess a report of our situation isn't too far off topic. To quote a news article about it,

The latest White House report sent to governors, which was reported by the Center for Public Integrity, identified Louisiana as one of 18 states in the "red zone" for cases, and one of 11 states in the "red zone" for test positivity.

It also included a set of recommendations for Louisiana, including closing gyms in hot spots, mandating the use of masks in "all current and evolving hot spots," limiting indoor dining to 25% and decreasing the gathering limit to 10.
The article continues and says that our governor doesn't want to do most of this yet. He did close bars and other live music venues, and mandate masks all over the state whenever one is within 6' of others, whether inside or outside. My observations are that most people and establishments seem to be complying with the new rules, much to my surprise.

But gyms are still open, restaurants are still operating with 50% capacity, and I don't recall the latest gathering limit to be honest but it varies according to a set of rules that I don't remember. I think usually 5-10.

Today is a gym day and I plan to tell F that I want to skip it again. We haven't been for a week.

We all know you are no fool, and so I hope/assume you are staying home and avoiding contact with people as much as you possibly can, for the time being. The situation in Texas sounds pretty dire.

(In other words, I am concerned about you and other Texans, and hope for the best. Take care. :) )
Well, we plan to leave tomorrow and hunker down in rural GA for a while, while I deal with Dad’s estate at a very relaxed pace. So basically, I’m out of here - away from the extreme heat, urban area, concentrated outbreak etc. Most of the places we would visit are closed anyway due to the virus, and seriously, August and September are the worst months to be here weather wise.

We came here to take care of some essential things that couldn’t be put off longer - prescriptions, access to some critical stuff at the bank safe deposit box, taking care of many things at our house. I tried to get some routine blood tests done that are overdue, but doctor’s office is closed this week and next. We have done some shopping at less crowded times. So we have been running errands including grocery shopping, but wearing our PPE and physically distancing.

Last edited:
Yes but at what cost putting your life on hold until a highly effective vaccine or herd immunity pops up? I feel like we will have a vaccine before herd immunity pops up I sure hope that is what happens.

I suspect at some point we will all pick and choose about the "exposure" that is worth it to us...i.e. seeing family or young grandchildren, church, eating out etc.

Fun choice: hunker until it passes or roll the dice on death, severe illness and possibly a lifetime of health problems.

If 2020 were a candy it would be those sugar free gummy bears that cause anal leakage.

Reactions: jj

Very sad.

My father almost made it to 90. In his last few years, his mental state was such that he was difficult to be around most of the time. I blame the disease known as dementia, not him.

Did the bank do anything? My guess is no. The rest of us have to deal with it as best we can. You did exactly what I would have done, stay away from him.

Fun choice: hunker until it passes or roll the dice on death, severe illness and possibly a lifetime of health problems.

If 2020 were a candy it would be those sugar free gummy bears that cause anal leakage.

Or sugar free chocolate...nothing fun about it...

I guess don’t see what I would be doing differently that would be worth the risk of exposure. Air travel and overseas travel is out, and that scuttles most of our desires. We might manage a mountain cabin vacation or some such. Meanwhile I’m swamped anyway with family obligations.

2020 has been so insane, in so many ways. I, for one, will glad to see it go. Surely 2021 can't be any worse. OK, I'm the eternal optimist here.

One thing I think might happen long before a vaccine and/or herd immunity, is real time easy access (self administered?) testing. Like something you go pick up at CVS, 10 mins later, you know.

If that were the case, you could still have small family gatherings safely, or feel more confident to visit with a doctor/dentist, etc. Maybe even double them up "hey, everyone take a home test on Wednesday, then again saturday morning before you come over!" etc.

My parents are 75ish. Their g'kids are 15 and 18. Everyone is behaving well, but something to bridge the gap to make them be able to get together would be nice?

Good - - I am glad to read this. I don't know how bad things are in rural GA but surely it must be at least a little bit safer there.
These are small low population counties. The county of 12,000 where my DF’s farm is has around 100 cases and 1 death so far. I’m not sure how that stacks up statistically, but DF’s farm sits on 300 acres well out from town on a rural road. A farmer rents the land, we see his crew out occasionally with their big machines. We have woods and walking paths that DH has been mowing around the woods. I restocked our chest freezer right before we left, so we need to shop very little.

2020 has been so insane, in so many ways. I, for one, will glad to see it go. Surely 2021 can't be any worse. OK, I'm the eternal optimist here.

It can always get worse. Hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom