Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another story from the WSJ about dining in outdoor eating structures:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-covid-safe-is-dining-in-a-restaurants-outdoor-tent-11603737550

As restaurants try to keep business afloat, many are putting up exterior structures for patrons. But dining tents and other temporary outdoor setups offer a false sense of security and pose just as many risks as indoor eating, professors say. Poor air circulation, proximity to other unmasked diners and time in a poorly ventilated enclosed outdoor space can heighten Covid risks. On the other hand, the transmission risk is higher inside a restaurant than in outdoor structures that are heated yet partially open, or in separate igloos for patrons.

Can anyone recommend a good source?

Look in the Face Masks thread.
One of the most recent posts has a link to buy Swiss-made N95 masks.

I bought 10 of the Honeywell N95 masks from Primis Medical. I will receive them on Tuesday.

Outdoors at a distance is very safe. The WSJ had an article about sports teams and corona virus infections that clearly shows indoor air is the biggest risk factor by far.

This is not good news for gyms.
They were one of the last places to be opened up in my state, and they were not happy.

Its getting scary everywhere.
We try to go for a walk in the neighborhood every day, bring our masks in case we see someone. Or if it is rainy, then out for a drive. It helps with my mood.
Doing grocery pick up and on line ordering of gifts, etc via Amazon and Target. I really don't like going into stores and try to avoid it. If I have to, I have scoped out the local Safeway and Walmart at different times. I have found 30 minutes prior to closing seems to be even less crowded than the Senior hours.
Not looking forward to this winter, I don't think the numbers are going to get much better for a while.

The Dakotas are pretty scary -- more than one out of every 20 people there has tested positive for COVID....and that's just the known case count! Their combined seven-day daily case rate is over 130 per 100,000 residents.

I have to say their parabolically rising graphs have been pretty scary!

(hugs) That sounds so unhealthy and tough on you! Could you maybe just go for a pleasure drive without getting out of the car? Then you could at least see the outdoors and the rest of the world, without exposing yourself to any sick people.
Right - nothing wrong with getting outside and walking or going for a drive!

We’re OK with hiking in parks, etc.

Last edited:
I am just staying inside--having food delivered. Too scary to do anything else.

Thanks for everyone's concern. I was being too dramatic. I do get outside to ride my bike and walk (away from crowds). I have been to see my elderly mother outside some this summer. I do go on occasional car rides and on picnics so it is not as bad as it seems. But I do not go to restaurants, I do not go into stores, I do not go to other people's house or have others to my house--we were doing some porch visits with friends earlier but as it gets colder and the virus gets worse everyone has agreed to stop those. Living in a college town where students are still partying makes me anxious. I could hear the Halloween parties at midnight last night from inside my house (I live near some fraternities) and I heard the police breaking them up (I did not call the police but I am glad someone did). I use to love living in a college town but now I wonder if it is the right place for me.

We do not go into restaurants, even outdoor seating. But we are comfortable shopping as long as it’s not crowded and most shoppers wear masks. That seems pretty low risk to us as we zip by other individuals distanced most of the time.

Yeah we had a loud Halloween party in the development north of us, and sounded like some stragglers were pretty plastered at 2am, talking loudly. If there were a lot of Halloween gatherings - uh oh.

Our region’s positivity rate is at 9.3%, so indoor dining and indoor bar service will again be curtailed on November 4th. And northern Illinois is getting into weather that would make outdoor dining miserable.

We do not go into restaurants, even outdoor seating.

DW and I have given up on trying to keep our favorite restaurants going. The quality of the meals has definitely gone down hill anyway. They've tried to social distance and outdoor dining but something must be going on in the kitchen that's not good. I truly feel sorry for them.

Still enjoying an outdoor socially spaced meal occasionally and outdoor pickleball, but no hotels, airplanes or travel.

We’ve done hotels and cross country road trips. Very little human contact involved - much less than shopping. We carry our own food so no restaurants are used. Hotels for 1 night stays, gas stations, rest areas and Starbucks drive through.

Please don't beat me up over this but does anybody really think they will come out of this unscathed? We are talking about a virus that isn't going anywhere. From what I understand, it's every bit as infectious as the common cold. It also appears to be able to be "caught" multiple times. Are we really willing to allow our fear, of what appears to be inevitable, to destroy our economy? I simply had to ask this question for my peace of mind.

Please don't beat me up over this but does anybody really think they will come out of this unscathed? We are talking about a virus that isn't going anywhere. From what I understand, it's every bit as infectious as the common cold. It also appears to be able to be "caught" multiple times. Are we really willing to allow our fear, of what appears to be inevitable, to destroy our economy? I simply had to ask this question for my peace of mind.

So herd mentality, umm immunity is the recommendation?

Unless there is an effective vaccine I figure most everyone will catch the virus sooner or later. But being high risk I want to catch it later--the medical people are figuring out better treatments all the times. The later I get it the more likely I will survive. At this point my main concern is survival.

But being high risk I want to catch it later--the medical people are figuring out better treatments all the times. The later I get it the more likely I will survive. At this point my main concern is survival.

Me too.
I am not holding up my hand to be the first catch this virus. :LOL:

What do they say about pioneers? They get shot full of arrows.

In the beginning not a lot was known about the virus.
At this point it is silly not to take common sense approach.

In my state not much is closed down anymore as far as I know.
And if people want to keep it that way, they need to take simple practical common sense actions to protect ourselves.

I may be in the minority for feeling this way, but I do not feel it is inevitable that I will get the virus. Not at all.

Yeah, my lifestyle combined with restrictions makes me pretty safe.

I may be in the minority for feeling this way, but I do not feel it is inevitable that I will get the virus. Not at all.
I don't think it's inevitable that everyone will get the virus, especially if we get an effective vaccine in the ~near future. Until then I'm trying to be very careful but I'm not hibernating.

1. If we lift restrictions which lets everyone catch it at the same time, with the current limited treatments available hospitals will be overwhelmed. In addition to making it impossible for all the sick folks to get treated, thus far more deaths, this will also damage the economy - reduce economic activity. It could also really mess up the medical care system.
  2. The longer someone can avoid catching COVID-19, the better the chances of improved treatments and even preventative measures like vaccines. Who wants to risk some of the long term debilitating effects when in 6 months there is a chance one or more vaccines are available that at the very least reduce the risks of bad outcomes?
  3. It’s a myth that we can completely open and thus restore the economy in the middle of a raging epidemic where many people get really sick as well as easily infect others. Even if all government restrictions are lifted, individuals will hide out if they don’t feel safe, and that has a big negative impact on the economy. You can’t force individuals to ignore the virus and endanger their health/lives. The less safe the everyday world around them appears to be, the more individuals will retrench. Paradoxically it is most people following the safety guidelines that makes it possible for people to go out and interact more and allows much more of the economy to function. The countries that are seeing economic improvements are the countries that have gotten their case rates down so far they can lift most or all restrictions. It doesn’t work the other way around.
Agreed - or if I do it will be extremely minor due to vaccine or super treatments available.

I also believe that dose matters. I’m careful today because if I do get exposed, I prefer it be a very small dose that ends up being asymptomatic or an extremely mild case.

Last edited:
Yeah, my lifestyle combined with restrictions makes me pretty safe.

+1

I don't stay up late at night worrying about catching the virus. I haven't even caught a cold in over a decade IIRC. I do mask up and follow the rules, for reasons of politeness and consideration for others' concerns.

If/when masks are no longer needed, I plan to burn mine out in the middle of the street. And dance. :LOL:

+1

I don't stay up late at night worrying about catching the virus. I haven't even caught a cold in over a decade IIRC.
We seem to be tempting fate today!:)

1. 1. If we let everyone catch it at the same time with the current limited treatments available, hospitals will be overwhelmed. In addition to making it impossible for all the sick folks to get treated, thus far more deaths, this will also damage the economy - reduce economic activity.
  2. 2. The longer someone can avoid catching it, the better the chances of improved treatments and even preventative measures like a vaccine. Who wants to risk some of the long term debilitating effects when in 6 months there is a chance one or more vaccine are available that at the very least reduce the risks of bad outcomes.
  3. 3. It’s a myth that we can completely open and thus restore the economy in the middle of a raging epidemic. Even if all government restrictions are lifted, individuals will hide out if they don’t feel safe, and that has a big negative impact on the economy. You can’t force individuals to ignore the virus and endanger their lives. The less safe the everyday world around them appears to be, the more individuals will retrench. Paradoxically it is most people following the guidelines that makes it possible for people to go out and interact more and allow more of the economy to function.

Yes, people need to take turn getting sick. The hospitals are not big enough, and nurses and doctors are getting very tired.

Some European countries are talking about erecting field hospitals again. The Czechs already built one in Prague last week.

Yes, people need to take turn getting sick. The hospitals are not big enough, and nurses and doctors are getting very tired.

Some European countries are talking about erecting field hospitals again. The Czechs already built one in Prague last week.
It’s a serious concern. You stress out your medical personnel (already true), you load up so many cases that you don’t have enough doctors and nurses let alone facilities, more doctors and nurses start dying due to COVID exposure - this is just a giant downward spiral type recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom