Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks folks - so far feels a little milder than the flu (I did have a flu shot this year)
my oxygen has stayed around 96, temp around 99.5 (i usually average 97 or so, so that is a bit high for me)
I read about the wave 2 phase that happens to some after the first 5-7 days, so keeping fingers crossed that
drinking fluids, trying to sleep, watching Breaking Bad for the fifth time.
wife has been OOT at her mom's, coming home today unfortunately and against my wishes - gonna try to lysol everything as best I can, but having the house to myself has been nice.

Good luck, I hope you make a quick and good recovery.

I will have to say that their attitude is that they do not trust or believe medical workers anyway. They seem to say they don't need nor trust no stinkin' nurses and doctors.

It's part of an overall mistrust and defiance of authority, COVID being the latest manifestation of the disease.

thanks folks - so far feels a little milder than the flu (I did have a flu shot this year)
my oxygen has stayed around 96, temp around 99.5 (i usually average 97 or so, so that is a bit high for me)
I read about the wave 2 phase that happens to some after the first 5-7 days, so keeping fingers crossed that
drinking fluids, trying to sleep, watching Breaking Bad for the fifth time.
wife has been OOT at her mom's, coming home today unfortunately and against my wishes - gonna try to lysol everything as best I can, but having the house to myself has been nice.
Hope it stays a mild case. Have you tried some of the MATH+ regimen that you can do OTC? If I contract it, I hope that my regular use of vitamin D and melatonin along with added zinc will provide a slight advantage in combatting it.

wife just had me order
Now NAC 600 mg, 400 Veg Capsules, N-Acetyl Cysteine with Selenium
and
NOW Foods Supplements, Quercetin with Bromelain, Balanced Immune System, 120 Veg
for lung health

Denial is a big part of it. That’s different.

There are two camps on the "other" side of the fence.
1. Those who denies this disease exists. I am not sure what they are going to do when they or their loved one contract it. Or maybe they are like that health board member who insists that something else is killing people.
2. Those who are fatalists. They believe in letting the disease run its course. Within this group are people who are willing to get sick for their actions and then there are those who will rethink their actions if they do get sick.

Denial and fatalism are two sides to the same coin. Either it doesn't really exist or, if it does, there's nothing I can do to stop it. Either way, that means I don't have to wear a mask or socially distance. Yay for me!

That 180K+ new cases from yesterday is truly horrific. It was just Nov 4 when we first crossed 100K cases. Now approaching 200K. New York Time reports 14 day rise as +76%.

That 180K+ new cases from yesterday is truly horrific. It was just Nov 4 when we first crossed 100K cases. Now approaching 200K. New York Time reports 14 day rise as +76%.

It has been horribly incredible how fast it goes up.
I think in about 2 weeks we will start to see the deaths per day increase to huge numbers as well.
Even though the medical care has gotten better, the doubling of cases suggests the deaths will at least double, maybe more as hospitals are being overwhelmed and cannot provide the normal level of care.

Deaths per day are already over 1000 per day on average, and recently just under 1400. Unfortunately exceeding the horrible 2000+ per day we saw in April appears to be inevitable. But instead of being concentrated in New England, it will be spread all over the country.

Still parabolic with no sign of rolling over in the number of daily cases. Daily deaths have just started to creep up.

NC's report today blasted through previous record days, and the percent positive is creeping up too. Not a good sign.

Because it is essential service for those in need, I've recently done some volunteer work for people in tough situations from hurricane damage (falling through rotten floors or dealing with roof leaks).

But it is time to hunker down. Our agency will give some advice to hold them over until we can get back, i.e. place boards on top of their carpet or situate buckets under leaks. It breaks my heart we have to stop. So much need out there, so many problems, then this virus...

NC's report today blasted through previous record days, and the percent positive is creeping up too. Not a good sign.

Because it is essential service for those in need, I've recently done some volunteer work for people in tough situations from hurricane damage (falling through rotten floors or dealing with roof leaks).

But it is time to hunker down. Our agency will give some advice to hold them over until we can get back, i.e. place boards on top of their carpet or situate buckets under leaks. It breaks my heart we have to stop. So much need out there, so many problems, then this virus...

When you are doing the repair work, do the people being helped have to be there?

Or maybe they are like that health board member who insists that something else is killing people.

Apparently there is a disease that spreads in the community, leads to death by pneumonia or multiple organ failure, and we don't even have a test for it.

There is a group of people in the UK claiming that the increase in positive COVID tests is caused entirely by false positives. The argument runs like this (warning: best read with a box of Froot Loops nearby):

- After the spring outbreak (which these people now admit was COVID-19), many people were hired to do testing.
- These people were trained very quickly and are therefore mostly incompetent to carry out PCR tests, which are apparently non-trivial.
- The steady increase in the (false) positive rate is explained by the fact that these incompetent testers are becoming more and more stressed by the increasing volume of "worried well" people who are demanding tests, because of all the (false) cases that they read about in the media. It's a positive feedback loop. Tens of thousands of false positives daily, and only a handful of true cases. Really.
- The increase in deaths is explained as seasonal flu. This is usually accompanied by a chart showing no statistically significant amount of excess deaths. By the time the reader has worked out that this chart is 4 or more weeks old, the conversation has moved on.

One of the proponents of this theory is a pathologist, whose Twitter bio says she is "between jobs". It's tempting to wonder what might be preventing a medical doctor from getting employment right now...

Mod note

Speculating on the motives of people not wearing masks is pointless. The same applies to how dangerous COVID is. We, and the world, have moved on past this, so let’s not waste any more electrons discussing it. It will derail the thread and lead to Porky.

Oregon has been in a tiered opening, but starting a 2 week "freeze" again, Restaurants closed except for takeout, etc. We've had a mask mandate, seems to be fueled by small household gatherings and folks letting their guard down,

DGS was home for 10 day isolation and tested negative after exposure at preschool.
I was just tested this morning as a precaution. think its a cold or allergies, but better to be tested than not. Will know in 48-72 hours.

I have purchased room air purifies with UV light for each room in the house (thanks Amazon for 2 day delivery!) and have most of the MATH+/I-MASK+ prophylaxis stuff either here or ordered and on its way.

When you are doing the repair work, do the people being helped have to be there?

We prefer they are not, but frequently they have nowhere to go, although they try to get out. Last job was tough. It was 8" of rain one day and nobody wanted to leave home. So we were there with them. We wore N95's. Tough, tough day. I don't want that kind of exposure any time soon again. When you travel a few hundred miles, it is hard to just leave it, so we blasted through with PPE as best we could.

There are two camps on the "other" side of the fence.
1. Those who denies this disease exists. I am not sure what they are going to do when they or their loved one contract it. Or maybe they are like that health board member who insists that something else is killing people.
2. Those who are fatalists. They believe in letting the disease run its course. Within this group are people who are willing to get sick for their actions and then there are those who will rethink their actions if they do get sick.
Maybe there's a third camp but I'm not sure how to describe it:

It didn’t take a detective long to realize that someone in Rolla, Missouri, was throwing a massive party—even before it was deemed a potential superspreader event. Sailing-themed invitations were screen-shotted on Snapchat. Parents wrote cryptic Facebook posts. Pink formal dresses popped up on Instagram. But the Rolla residents who saw those posts likely didn’t put the full picture together. Nor could they have predicted the extent to which the event—an unsanctioned homecoming dance at a local steakhouse—would affect the community, forcing the health department to devote all its resources to one fiasco and nudging the high school back to full-on virtual learning.

This week, Ashley Wann, health director of the Phelps-Maries County Health Department, told The Daily Beast that up to 200 Rolla High School students—and “numerous” parents—gathered indoors at Matt’s Steakhouse on Saturday, Nov. 7. Wann called it “a parent-organized event,” and the department has said students from the freshman through senior classes were present. “The individuals that we have been in contact with all report no masks were worn and that masks were made optional by the event organizers,” Wann told The Daily Beast. When the inevitable COVID-19 cases started popping up, Wann said her department’s job was made harder by the fact that there was no list of attendees.

This wasn’t an accident: The health department was told “by community members and those in attendance” that organizers intentionally hid the number and identity of those in attendance to avoid contact tracing in the event of an outbreak, according to Wann. That account of deliberate epidemiological obfuscation was bolstered by a handful of accounts from residents. As of Friday, there were seven cases tied to the event and several others at Rolla High School among students and staff members, Wann told The Daily Beast. She was not optimistic about her department’s ability to link all relevant cases.
You can read the whole thing but it made me want to throw things so be forewarned https://www.thedailybeast.com/rolla...came-possible-coronavirus-superspreader-event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom