WWYD - HUGE off prop tree leaning toward your house?

Just note that your deductible on your homeowner's insurance is probably a lot more than the cost to deal with the tree now.

^^^^ That is why it is good to establish a record of having notified the owner of the property that the tree is on of his concern that the tree is a danger to his property. Then, if it does happen to damage his property he may be able to have his deductible covered by the HOA.

We had a very tall palm tree removed last year and it cost $500 for removal .Maybe the cost is not as bad as you are thinking .

We had a very tall palm tree removed last year and it cost $500 for removal .Maybe the cost is not as bad as you are thinking .
The last two trees I had removed were $600 and $1500, and this one is much larger and on a steep grade. But I think it can be dropped in place, I assume that would be much less expensive than removal. Fingers crossed.

I would contact the insurance company and get their opinion. And get a quote on taking it down.

Then depending on what the insurance company said, I would approach the HOA (if they are the owner of the tree) and explain to them that it will cost them less to take it down now rather than pay for house damage and tree removal both if it falls down.

But make your case in front of the whole HOA board for 2 reasons. 1 to get your case in front of more than 1 person. 2 to get your case recorded in HOA meeting minutes. I think you’ll get better results from meeting with the whole HOA board rather than a single person.

If HOA balks at taking it down, then try to negotiate 50-50. If that doesn’t work, pay to have it taken down yourself if the HOA allows you to do so.

Last edited:
Went out for a bike ride today, and took a few pictures of our leaners. I just wanted to make sure Midpack doesn't feel alone. :)

These are the best 3 of 10 or so leaner pictures I took. The first one is from my back yard. A rotten leaner of my neighbor's is prepared to fall in my yard and take out the fence. It is far in back, so we'll just let it do its thing... although it has amazingly hung in there for 5 years already, hung up against another tree. Full of beetles and termites, yet beating the odds.

The second one is over a house. I'd be pretty nervous!

Attachments

• tree3.JPG
    tree3.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 13
  • tree2.JPG
    tree2.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 15
  • tree1.JPG
    tree1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 14
My worst leaner, the subject of this thread, and the back corner of our house (master bedroom). It’s huge if the pic doesn’t show that...more than 3’ diameter just above the base.

Attachments

• 1814A11F-ABB0-42AF-B458-2BBE2FC0DF03.jpg
    1814A11F-ABB0-42AF-B458-2BBE2FC0DF03.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 20
I see. The one on the right? Never like a leaning hardwood. Understand your concern.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom