Yankee or Good Ol Boy Like Me Test

"you guys" got me right into my home state of new jersey.

interesting. i got 41% dixie. barely in yankeedom having been raised in mostly in northern new jersey but lived in florida for about 30 years.

ya learn all sorts of things in the south.

for instance, what's plural of y'all?

all of y'all.

33% Dixie, definitely a Yankee. Even though I am in the 9th generation of my family born below the Mason Dixon. Every 2nd male including me has at least the middle name "Lee". I was raised to get the hillbilly out of my speech, as my parents considered it low class and limiting in life. That plus a lot of time spent in NE and West I guess have transformed my speech patterns.

Ha

I am soooo ashamed. :eek: Lived all my life in New Yawk City and I got a 43% dixie. 8)

24% Dixie. You are a Real Yankee Doodle Dandy. :D

No wait a minute! :confused: I'm Canadian! :LOL:

for instance, what's plural of y'all?

fer chrissake! It's "youse-all"! Doncha know nuttin?

47% on the Hicktionary. But I knowed mos' all dem words. I growed up wiz mos' dem.

64%...and yet my husband claims he can still detect my native Brooklyn accent! What y'all think o' that!

There are/were districts in N'wawlins where the pronunciation can be similar to Brooklyn? Bronx? (out of my territory here). Listen to old Creedence Clearwater Revival some time.

Now, who knows where in the country a soda-pop is called a phosphate? :D

da Gyp

34% Dixie.

I have a lot of NY/Great Lakes in my, but I'm noticing that I'm picking up more and more PAisms every year.

The one that drives me nuts is when someone asks, "You want to come with?"

Ugh ugh ugh. Finish your sentence!

76% Dixie. Not bad for the son of a mexican (legal) immigrant. Guess I am thoroughly assimilated. :D I would probably score 90% Gringo if I took the test in Spanish.

Hmmm

It occurs to me - that the Good Old Boy who dreamed up that test is probably like Pace Picante sauce - ie from New York City or someplace like that.

If he wants to tawk rite - a little time in the 9th ward, Metry or St Bernard Parish would offer enlightenment.

heh heh heh heh

43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Interesting. I grew up in the Southern tip of Illinois -- further south than most of Kentucky. I did undergraduate work in Urbana, Illinois -- dominated by Chicago area students. I worked in California. I did graduate work in North Carolina. I've lived much of my life in Arizona. And I spent 6 years in Iowa. My responses showed a spattering of all these areas.

The idea that the world is divided into Southerners and Yankees is primarily a Southern concept. When I moved to North Carolina, I remember how odd it seemed to me that the world was divided into the South and Yankee North. If you weren't born in the South, you were a damn Yankee. People there put a lot of emphasis on that distinction. In fact, you seldom heard the word Yankee if it wasn't preceded by damn. People in other placed I lived never seemed to acknowledge or notice the North/South distinction.

I moved from North Carolina in 1984, so I don't know what it's like now. But when I was there, there were still a lot of people fighting the Civil War. The fact that the damn Yankees were not fighting back did not seem to bother them. I really emersed myself in that culture while I was there. I have some really interesting stories about parties and pig pickin's. :eek: :) :D

61,... grew up as a proud Rebel in the Carolina hills.  After my dad passed on, among some of his personal belongings,  I found my great-grandfather's enlistment papers into the Grand Old Army of the U.S. during the civil war.  He was sworn in by one of them Pinkertons.  That sure did burst my Rebel pride bubble.

-hodad

yelnad said:
The one that drives me nuts is when someone asks, "You want to come with?"
Ugh ugh ugh. Finish your sentence!
You would not enjoy pidgin...

sgeeeee said:
In fact, you seldom heard the word Yankee if it wasn't preceded by damn.
I've been informed that if you were on the wrong side of the "War of Northern Aggression" then the only Yankees who aren't damn Yankees are dead Yankees.

On the other hand our kid has been able to proudly inform her eighth-grade Civil War history class, much to the consternation of her teacher, of the origin of the phrase "to shoot a Yankee".

If you study the Civil War, it's not hard to understand why a Southerner would have a bitter attitude. Many of the Northern marches were ruthless. But a similar thing could be said about the British, the Patriots, and the Revolutionary war. Maybe it's time that makes the difference. In another 75 to 100 years we may finally be done fighting the Civil War. :)

15% : "a Duke of Yankee-dom"!

"Bubbler" clinched it.

They didn't have "elastic" vs. "rubber band" ("elastic" is the correct Yankee response).

Frappe vs. milkshake?

Package store.. (liquor store to non-Yankees)

I was well into my teens before I realized that 'fart' was spelled with an 'r' ("Maaaaom.. she called me a faht!"). I sincerely thought it was spelled "fot". :)

Ladelfina, Yep bubbler cinched it for me too as well as tonic. Packie for liquor store, and yes to elastics. When I travel people smile when I talk and say "Hey you're from New England" (sigh).

Heh heh heh

Up until age 26 - Southerners lived on the other side of Portland - like the Beach Boys. Back East was Yakima  and Spokane - Idaho was a suburb of Brooklyn and there was no such thing as a liquor store - State store and one needed a Washington State liquor card to buy booze - in contrast to 3.2 beer in stubbys. Longnecks were Montana bottles.

And - Dam Yankees was a musical with Jimmy Cagney.

ladelfina said:
I was well into my teens before I realized that 'fart' was spelled with an 'r' ("Maaaaom.. she called me a faht!"). I sincerely thought it was spelled "fot".  :)

Heh! Mom grew up in Canton, OH, and the family was originally from SE Ohio along the WV border. hen she was a kid, she actually pointed out that the teacher mis-spelled "WAshington" by leaving out the "R" (Warshington).

sgeeeee said:
If you study the Civil War, it's not hard to understand why a Southerner would have a bitter attitude. 

Actually, I can't relate to the "North vs. South" stuff.

My grandparents (all 4) came through Ellis Island from Austria in the early '20's (meaning early last century), which makes me "2nd generation American".

Never fought in the "U.S. Civil War" - never had relatives (that I know of) that did the same.

With all the problems in the world today, I still don't get it.  Can't we just be American's and face the world as one?  Sounds like we are "no different" than other countries (which we are quick to critize) that have their own "infighting", due to language, culture, or religion...  :mad:

Anyway, that's my comment on the subject  :)...

- Ron

Growing up, my image of a Real Yankee was that of a somewhat eccentric, yet pragmatic, old farmer who was wont to say things like "Ayup" and "You can't get there from here." This pretty much limited the region to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Maybe parts of upstate New York and Western Massachusetts, but no further afield than that.

My Boston-area cousins, who drank frappes and tonics, and went to the packie when they got older, inhabited a different milieu entirely. Certainly New England, but not Old Yankee New England.

And nobody from New York City, or within commuting distance thereof, was in any way a Yankee. They were anti-Yankees, if anything. Just like those poseurs to appropriate the name for a baseball team.

Bpp

Well, even in southern NE, there remains a strong link to Puritan history and America's English/Scots forebears.. (even today you can't buy anything alcoholic on Sunday; the "package" store is called such in order to avoid even saying the word "liquor").

My grandmother's generation still pronounced a lot of words with the residue of an English accent ("laaahhf" instead of "laff").

Think Kate Hepburn.. one tough (Connecticut) Yankee, God love her.

rs0460a said:
With all the problems in the world today, I still don't get it.  Can't we just be American's and face the world as one?  Sounds like we are "no different" than other countries (which we are quick to critize) that have their own "infighting", due to language, culture, or religion...  :mad:

I guess you could say that we are no different from the Balkans or Africa or Iraq, if you would also say that T. Rex is no different from a gecko.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom