Yet another knee surgery thread

Maybe if you got some rubber caps to put on the feet they would stick better to the hardwood floor, or even a thin piece of foam or a small rubber backed throw rug under the whole chair if it doesn't have feet.

Another option might be that no skid material they put underneath area rugs so they won't slide around.

Edit: I just realized I basically said the same thing as MissMolly. Sorry.

Reactions: W2R
Thanks, Miss Molly and Carpediem. Sounds like some good ways to fix the sliding problem.

Went to my internist/endocrinologist today, to get him to clear me for surgery.

The good part is that he did it! He has been seeing me regularly for almost 20 years; so after an exam, he gave me the clearance in writing to hand carry to my knee surgeon. It will be FAXed to him as well.

The part that is a drag, that I didn't know until today, is that the hospital itself specifically requires a lot of tests above and beyond that. I need to get a chest xray, an EKG, and new blood tests since my last ones (which were stellar!) were 3 months ago. Oh well, it may turn out to be easier to get all this done than it sounds. And it's one more step in the process.

Sounds like everything is moving along for you just great. The additional tests are not surprising at all. That's very common for major surgery. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors.

Reactions: W2R
Sounds like everything is moving along for you just great. The additional tests are not surprising at all. That's very common for major surgery. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors.

Thanks. I hope so. I was floored at first because I didn't know this was common, but now I do. :)

Thanks, Miss Molly and Carpediem. Sounds like some good ways to fix the sliding problem.

Went to my internist/endocrinologist today, to get him to clear me for surgery.

The good part is that he did it! He has been seeing me regularly for almost 20 years; so after an exam, he gave me the clearance in writing to hand carry to my knee surgeon. It will be FAXed to him as well.

The part that is a drag, that I didn't know until today, is that the hospital itself specifically requires a lot of tests above and beyond that. I need to get a chest xray, an EKG, and new blood tests since my last ones (which were stellar!) were 3 months ago. Oh well, it may turn out to be easier to get all this done than it sounds. And it's one more step in the process.

A lot of the time anything over 30 days old needs to be repeated.

Got the blood work done this morning at my usual place, so that's taken care of. (mentally crossing that one off my list of knee related tasks).

Then later this morning the hospital called and they are being so helpful! I can get the EKG and chest x-ray at a small, easily accessible auxiliary location that the hospital has nearby,with no appointment necessary. Much easier than going to the main hospital itself. So progress is being made. :)

So, today I got the required EKG and chest x-ray done. Two more steps in the right direction.

That said, just driving over there, walking in, and getting it done really made my right knee flare up (the one with the badly torn meniscus). So, I have been resting and icing that knee since I got back, and now it is feeling better than it did.

Of course the technicians didn't say anything about the results. They really can't. I resisted the temptation to ask the cardiology tech if I was really heartless. :D

So, today I got the required EKG and chest x-ray done. Two more steps in the right direction.

That said, just driving over there, walking in, and getting it done really made my right knee flare up (the one with the badly torn meniscus). So, I have been resting and icing that knee since I got back, and now it is feeling better than it did.

Of course the technicians didn't say anything about the results. They really can't. I resisted the temptation to ask the cardiology tech if I was really heartless. :D

:LOL::LOL:

This is why I have always resisted having any scans done above my neck. I'm afraid they will come back and tell me there really is nothing between my ears. :D

I understand completely. That’s how I got the name ‘Scarecrow’ as in the Wizard of Oz song - If I Only Had a Brain.

:ROFLMAO: You both are great! :2funny: You "get" my oddball sense of humor, anyway. :D

Last night I could hardly sleep at all, so my PFTD is to nap in the recliner. Well, plus F will be bringing over lunch soon, and UPS will be delivering my ice machine and plain jane walker today. Amazon Prime already delivered some new "hospital socks" (non-skid, soft socks). I love these socks for wearing around the house normally, and they should be great for after surgery too I'd think. I got one of those "sock assist" devices which will help with them after surgery.

:ROFLMAO: You both are great! :2funny: You "get" my oddball sense of humor, anyway. :D

Last night I could hardly sleep at all, so my PFTD is to nap in the recliner. Well, plus F will be bringing over lunch soon, and UPS will be delivering my ice machine and plain jane walker today. Amazon Prime already delivered some new "hospital socks" (non-skid, soft socks). I love these socks for wearing around the house normally, and they should be great for after surgery too I'd think. I got one of those "sock assist" devices which will help with them after surgery.

You'll love the sock assist. Amazing the things you take for granted until you can't physically do them.

May have missed it, but did you get a toilet riser? I may never take mine off. Seriously.

You'll love the sock assist. Amazing the things you take for granted until you can't physically do them.

May have missed it, but did you get a toilet riser? I may never take mine off. Seriously.

Yes, and separate grab rails for it too!! I love it and agree with you 1000%.

I thought I had "fallen through the cracks" since I got no surgery packet and had no joint class or preoperative interview scheduled.

But I was wrong.Today the hospital called and we scheduled the joint class and preoperative interview. Both will be on the 6th, one week before my surgery date. Everything is progressing as it should.

My recliner is staying put now that it is on the rug.

I thought I had "fallen through the cracks" since I got no surgery packet and had no joint class or preoperative interview scheduled.

But I was wrong.Today the hospital called and we scheduled the joint class and preoperative interview. Both will be on the 6th, one week before my surgery date. Everything is progressing as it should.

Preoperative interview? I had a joint class but no interview. What's the interview for?

Preoperative interview? I had a joint class but no interview. What's the interview for?
Well, it's hard to remember what she said; we were driving in the car, I got a call on my cell phone, and I was madly scrambling to get paper and pencil to write down the dates and times. I think she said they would get my history, take my blood pressure and other vitals, explain about how I'll be prepped for surgery, let me ask questions, and that kind of thing. Maybe that is when I'll find out when and where to go on the day of my surgery, and what to bring with me? Guess I'll find out!

Excellent price on the socks, my DH got half a dozen pair when in the hospital after his "surgery gone wrong" based on the billing rack rate for his misadventure they averaged out to about 50K a pair...:cool: they either threw them away when they changed out his socks or we could take them home and have a permanent reminder of exciting times.

Excellent price on the socks, my DH got half a dozen pair when in the hospital after his "surgery gone wrong" based on the billing rack rate for his misadventure they averaged out to about 50K a pair...:cool: they either threw them away when they changed out his socks or we could take them home and have a permanent reminder of exciting times.
I love these socks and if they give me any to take home after my surgery, I'm taking them for sure! My "Dream Home" has shiny, slick hardwood floors so non-skid socks are a good idea if I don't want to wear shoes all the time. Plus, they keep my feet comfy and warm. :)

I love these socks and if they give me any to take home after my surgery, I'm taking them for sure! My "Dream Home" has shiny, slick hardwood floors so non-skid socks are a good idea if I don't want to wear shoes all the time. Plus, they keep my feet comfy and warm. :)

It's Summer in New Orleans. Do you really need help keeping your feet warm?

I got a couple pair of those hospital socks. One is red and one yellow. The red means I am not allowed to get up without a two person assist. Yellow means one person assist, I think. Your local hospital may have slightly different policy.

It's Summer in New Orleans. Do you really need help keeping your feet warm?

:2funny: Good point! What can I say - - I keep the thermostat at around 72F-74F, but still, maybe due to old age and type 2 diabetes, my feet get cold easily compared with the rest of me. I even wear them to bed.

When F was at the hospital all day for outpatient surgery with general anesthesia, they gave him tan hospital socks.

My dad's doctor said the time to replace them is when my dad came and said he was ready to go through with it (I.E. in enough discomfort). So when you're ready you are ready. Good luck!

My dad's doctor said the time to replace them is when my dad came and said he was ready to go through with it (I.E. in enough discomfort). So when you're ready you are ready. Good luck!

Despite stories about people who have knee replacement surgery and are back playing tennis in six weeks and running marathons in three months, the reality is that it is along slow painful recovery for most of us.

I was ready when I realized that in a few years my daily non surgical discomfort would be as bad as my recovery discomfort is today. The difference would be that the post surgery discomfort will most likely be drastically reduced in those two years , while the no surgery discomfort would be going up Up and UP with no end in sight.

The interview is to make sure someone is healthy enough for Surgery .It is really important especially in older patients with other issues .Maybe you did not have one because of your age and no other medical issues .They also need to go over all of a persons medications and when to take them before surgery.

The interview is to make sure someone is healthy enough for Surgery .It is really important especially in older patients with other issues

There is also an entirely separate procedure of getting a surgery and anaesthesia clearance from my primary care physician, who is very familiar with me and my health. It's good to have this doubly checked, though. Who wants to die in an elective surgery? Not me, that's for sure.

They also need to go over all of a persons medications and when to take them before surgery.
I was wondering about whether to take my medications the morning of surgery, and this is a good opportunity for them to let me know or for me to ask. Thanks!

Despite stories about people who have knee replacement surgery and are back playing tennis in six weeks and running marathons in three months, the reality is that it is along slow painful recovery for most of us.
I know! Fortunately time does pass, and it passes faster as I grow older, too. BTW while you aren't running marathons, it sounds like your recovery is going reasonably well and I am so glad to read about its progression.

UPS will be delivering my ice machine and plain jane walker today.

I am SO GLAD that I decided to "blow that dough" and buy these now, even though apparently some patients are given these on their way home from the hospital. I have already got my money's worth out of both.

Ice machine: This works to cut pain back even now, before surgery. I have been using it almost every day and it helps so much. On days when I use it, I am getting to sleep hours faster, due to less pain while falling asleep, and also my quality of sleep is much better. Also the pain is not wearing me down as I rest in my recliner during the day. So, I am less exhausted and crabby. That said, it can only help a little. I still have a lot of pain when trying to stand or walk, but hopefully once I recover from surgery that will improve.

Plain Jane walker: This is wonderful because it is very stable, and yet takes up less room than my rollator walker. It allows me to get past a 3" threshold and into my walk-in shower safely, even though my knee will not bear any weight. Hard to explain but the slightly smaller size and greater stability makes all the difference in the world.

All in all, I think my surgical recovery "nest" here at home is pretty well set up and ready. I have 12 days to get everything perfect.

Monday is my next appointment with the surgeon. I need to find out if I should notify my insurance and/or Medicare about the surgery, or if his office has already done it. And, I can ask any questions that I might have.

Tuesday is my Joint Class and the hospital's preoperative interview. Hopefully either on Monday or Tuesday I will find out when and where I should show up on the day of my surgery, how I should prepare myself (no food or water I presume, medications?), what I should bring, and so on.

I am sure that either Monday or Tuesday I'll be told about some heretofore unheard of "OMG OMG this has to be done NOW, why didn't you do it, so what if nobody told you, can you not read our minds?" tasks. Otherwise it would be too easy. :LOL:

Just wanted to catch up with what I've been doing to prepare for surgery. I need to get a haircut this week so that it will be easier to care for in recovery. Also I will need to cut my toenails since I probably won't be able to reach them for a while after surgery. I need to cook some more meals in advance and freeze them. Just before my surgery day I should do my laundry and clean the house as much as possible. That's about it, AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom