YIKES..Facebook account hacked

Free2BMe

Dryer sheet aficionado
My F/B account was hacked in the middle of the night. They changed the F/B email and password. Has anyone in the community experienced this and if so, how did you resolve it? I've changed all my financial passwords and my main email accounts. Advice?

My F/B account was hacked in the middle of the night. They changed the F/B email and password. Has anyone in the community experienced this and if so, how did you resolve it? I've changed all my financial passwords and my main email accounts. Advice?

Enable 2nd factor authorization on EVERY ACCOUNT you have (if available). Facebook does have this capability. Have you restored access to your account? If not, I would ping FB about it. https://www.facebook.com/hacked

I have had no success restoring my account but if I do get it back I just want to delete it. I will follow the link you sent.. thanks

Happens. Never really recovered the account. FB support was lack-of-support. The account is abandoned now. Good riddance.

I have not in the past and have 2FA turned on at Facebook. An extra measure of safety.

But in your situation try this: https://www.facebook.com/help/203305893040179

Also, note the part about if the email was changed. You might be able to revert back to your email.

Good luck!

Attachments

• facebook.jpg
    facebook.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 38
It’s either happened to you or it’s gonna happen to you. I use all the security FB allows me and I still got hacked. I am not sure how they do it, but it happens.
I change my password, send a note out friends to not accept friend requests from me ‘cuz it’s not really me and carry on. Everything settles down once you change your password.

I have not been able to access my account to change the password so as target2019 said,,,..good riddance to F/B.

I have not been able to access my account to change the password so as target2019 said,,,..good riddance to F/B.

I would not leave my identity, even if it’s just a social media account, in the hands of someone else.

Were you using the same passwords for various accounts ? Otherwise why change everything, was it just being cautious in case more was hacked ?

I got this e-mail yesterday:

You have 30 days to request a review Hi XXXX,

Your Facebook account has been disabled. This is because your account, or activity on it, doesn't follow our Community Standards. If you think we disabled your account by mistake, we can take you through a few steps to request a review. You'll need to complete these steps within 30 days to avoid your account being permanently disabled.

I have no clue what happened but to tell you the truth.... good riddance. I have no more desire for a Facebook account.

Your post is a good reminder of why it's a GREAT idea to have these types of accounts under a pseudonym. That way, if it's hacked...no harm, no foul.

Speaking of which Facebook...how about y'all go ahead and release the "Lock My Profile" button to EVERYONE?!?

It’s either happened to you or it’s gonna happen to you. I use all the security FB allows me and I still got hacked. I am not sure how they do it, but it happens.
I change my password, send a note out friends to not accept friend requests from me ‘cuz it’s not really me and carry on. Everything settles down once you change your password.

The scam where they contact your friends to re-add you is not hacking... it's simply copying ("cloning") your account. They don't need your password for that. They take your profile photo and send friend requests to your friends in hopes that some add them, and then they can message them pretending they are you and get some money or gift cards. The best protection against this is to make your friend list visible only to your friends (or even totally private but IMO this is a stretch), which can be done through settings.

The scam where they contact your friends to re-add you is not hacking... it's simply copying ("cloning") your account. They don't need your password for that. They take your profile photo and send friend requests to your friends in hopes that some add them, and then they can message them pretending they are you and get some money or gift cards. The best protection against this is to make your friend list visible only to your friends (or even totally private but IMO this is a stretch), which can be done through settings.

There are so many variations of this type of thing. I once had someone takeover the account and change my preferred language to French. That was a fun one.

Nah, I think that's a good idea. I would think that most of us that are on FB have different "groups" of friends. I have family, former AF colleagues, school age friends...no reason for them to all know each other through my page. I have my account as locked down as FB will let me...which, again...hey Facebook, how about allowing US-based users use the "LOCK PROFILE" option? :cool:

I recently made my friend list visible only to me.

This way, folks can't clone me and they try to hit on my friends :).

Not that I'm such an interesting person, but a matter of why give the hackers a chance?

With this setting, also no more real FB friends and family that like to troll my FB friends. A side benefit :popcorn:.

I would not leave my identity, even if it’s just a social media account, in the hands of someone else.

I have tried to restore my account in every way possible via the F/B help pages..but no success. There is no customer service. I'm about to give up. I've notified family and friends about the issue. So far, it's been quiet on their pages.

Success

Update...I finally got my F/B account access back and I've permanently deleted it.. YAY!!

Back
Top Bottom