YMO, the opposite of one more year

AT my former employer we called the "coasting" people RIP, for retired in place. I also decided that I was fed up and left about 6 months before my planned retirement date. We always called it retiring on the one and five plan! Imagine flashing the middle finger and then waving bye bye! I've been retired for 7 years and have never looked back! In hind sight, I should have left sooner!

Don't leave on a Friday

Seriously. If you leave on Friday, Saturday and Sunday feel like any other weekend. We left on a Thursday. First, you get one last long weekend. Second, we went to a diner on Friday morning for breakfast. As all the worker-bees left for their jobs in the financial district, we ordered a second cup of coffee. It was delicious.

A year before our planned departure, I came home from work one day very frustrated with silliness at the office, re-jigged our spreadsheet, and cut two months off our remaining time at work. (Husband was fully on-board with that.)

Those two months ended up being my mother's last two months in this world. I am so glad I had that time with her and not at w*rk.

As much as I enjoyed my job, everything I've done in the last six years has been better, even through our very long lockdowns here in Canada. If you can arrange One Year Less, I do not think you will regret it.

I like the one less year that has already been mentioned!
OLY

AT my former employer we called the "coasting" people RIP, for retired in place. I also decided that I was fed up and left about 6 months before my planned retirement date. We always called it retiring on the one and five plan! Imagine flashing the middle finger and then waving bye bye! I've been retired for 7 years and have never looked back! In hind sight, I should have left sooner!

I quickly realized that megacorp (virtually) stopped promoting staff level folks over 50 (yeah, a couple of exceptions but just a couple.) Point is that it shouldn't be surprising that folks would RIP or "slow retire" or whatever anyone wants to call it. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom