Yoga is growing on me. Any recommendations?

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
I've recently put myself (at DW's urging) on a therapeutic Yoga program for some low back pain. It's only been a few weeks so it is hard to tell if it is helping, but I find mysef liking the way it makes me feel in general. I'd like to expand the workout beyond the low back.

So, can anyone recommend a good DVD for a general Yoga experience? I'm interested in a broad-based session, perhaps 45-60 min. I am not looking for a spiritual experience though I understand that that aspect of Yoga is very important to some practitioners. I'll consider classes once my back is healed but for now the home variety is what I'm interested in.

Any recommendations? BTW my back pain book is by Loren Fishman, Relief is in the Stretch. It's very therapy-focused but seems interesting for what it is.

I've been a longtime fan of Lilias. She had a yoga program on PBS for a number of years. The reviews of her DVDs on Amazon look pretty decent. She has some 'catchy' titles catering to the aging population. My library carries some of these so maybe you could check your local library and try before you buy.

Welcome to Lilias Yoga!

Good luck finding the yoga DVD that works for you. I'm sure there are many to choose from.

Any recommendations? BTW my back pain book is by Loren Fishman, Relief is in the Stretch. It's very therapy-focused but seems interesting for what it is.
This same guy, Loren Fishman MD has written a book Yoga for Arthritis in collaboration with a yoga teacher.

Unusually, there is no biographical information about him in the book. Do you know anything about him, his medical practice if any, or his qualifications and experience?

I am working on the chapter about the hip, and it does seem at least somewhat helpful.

If I walk > 4 miles or so I may get very sore. Sometimes not, but it is a hassle and I would prefer not to look at a replacement, at least for a good long time.

I hope you have good luck with your back problems. Pain is not fun.

Ha

This same guy, Loren Fishman MD has written a book Yoga for Arthritis in collaboration with a yoga teacher.

Unusually, there is no biographical information about him in the book. Do you know anything about him, his medical practice if any, or his qualifications and experience?
He's a Britisih-trained physiatrist (rehabilitation physician) practicing in NYC, has published some and while his discussions are not particularly medically robust, I haven't seen anything that strikes me as outrageous. Not to sound so cynical about it but there is a lot of garbage out there and he seems sounder than most.

He's a Britisih-trained physiatrist (rehabilitation physician) practicing in NYC, has published some and while his discussions are not particularly medically robust, I haven't seen anything that strikes me as outrageous. Not to sound so cynical about it but there is a lot of garbage out there and he seems sounder than most.
Thanks Rich.

Ha

I know a 40-year-old woman who's been doing yoga for over a decade and is being told that her hip dysplasia may lead to total joint replacement within another decade. She blames it on yoga, but that sort of problem is probably way out on the bell curve of sports injuries.

If you're looking for core strength once you're healed then you might consider stand-up paddling, tai chi, or even kickboxing & taekwondo.

When I first saw the thread title "Yoga is growing on me", I thought, "Yes, I have the same problem, I need to wash more often". Then I realized it was yoga, not yogurt :D

These days we do yoga classes but for a good few years we had great success with yoga DVDs. Our favorite is Rodney Yee. He does a whole range of DVDs from beginner, relaxation etc to challenging.

Good luck Rich, I hope you enjoy trying out various titles and instructors as much as we did.

Rich:

I don't know anything about yoga other than that my wife loves it and goes to classes at our gym. But if you are looking into pain relief matters I would be curious about your reactions to this guy's stuff. He is an massage therapist who purports to look at various therapies from a scientific perspective. But it is hard for us medical laymen to evaluate how good (or bad) he is. Of course he is a layman too, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't do good research.

I've been using Sarah Ivanhoe's 'Crunch Candlelight Yoga' DVD for a long time and like it. The DVD has 2 programs, a long one (45min) and short one (15min). What I like about it is that she explains and demonstrates how to do the various positions so someone from a beginner to advanced user can use it. Some of the other DVD's I looked at are all or none, way to advanced for beginners or for most guys who could never get into some of the positions these ladies get into.

BY Rich In Tampa:

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nords
If you're looking for core strength once you're healed then you might consider stand-up paddling, tai chi, or even kickboxing & taekwondo.

I'll get back to you on that... ;)

Lemme guess, learning Judo falls, rolling techniques such as air rolls are further down on the list.:D

For 40 years several times a week I've taken falls, rolls and various full body impacts. Generally 20 to 40 in an hour or two session. At 63 I still do. Then go Ice skating or Kayaking in the afternoon after. Rarely do I have a back ache unless I shovelled 5 tons o rocks or such.

My Ju-jutsu teacher was fond of saying, several good air rolls, or other rolls followed by landings with full body impact on the 1" mat or just the rubberized gym floor sans mat is good for you. Resonates the body, stretches the spine, gets the cobwebs out from between the ears and the organs. Can't be all bad, he gave up taking falls at age 75. He has unique knwledge of how the joints etc. work, was practicing Chiropractor for 45+ years

By the way, I could throw him into a falling floor landing only if he allowed it, else he always landed and his feet regardless of throw,then whispered into my ear from behind - that was a good throw. First few times was really un-nerving. Then I wanted to know how it is done. He said, all in good time.
coolsmiley.gif

In other news, might try an inversion table. I use one a few times a week.

haha said:

I am working on the chapter about the hip, and it does seem at least somewhat helpful.

If I walk > 4 miles or so I may get very sore. Sometimes not, but it is a hassle and I would prefer not to look at a replacement, at least for a good long time.

I hope you have good luck with your back problems. Pain is not fun.

Ha

Everyone has their own specific issues that one thing may help and another not, but concerning the hip, in the last year I was developing a soreness in my hips walking. I assumed it was arthritis developing. I started using the hip abductor and adductor machine, and I can't tell you how much this has loosened up the hip area. It has "freed" up my hips and I almost feel like a teenager walking after working out with it (the knees sure as hell don't though). I used to think of that as the girl machine, now I use it 4 times a week and it is the most useful machine to me in the gym.

Everyone has their own specific issues that one thing may help and another not, but concerning the hip, in the last year I was developing a soreness in my hips walking. I assumed it was arthritis developing. I started using the hip abductor and adductor machine, and I can't tell you how much this has loosened up the hip area. It has "freed" up my hips and I almost feel like a teenager walking after working out with it (the knees sure as hell don't though). I used to think of that as the girl machine, now I use it 4 times a week and it is the most useful machine to me in the gym.
Thanks for this information. My gym also has these machines.

Ha

Some years ago DW developed hip problems including a lot of pain lying on it during sleep. Diagnosis was bursitis. Since then she has been using the hip abductor and adductor machine every week and it has almost been like a miracle cure. Consequently I also use it and have noted over the years that more men use it at our gym than ever used to.

Alan said:
Some years ago DW developed hip problems including a lot of pain lying on it during sleep. Diagnosis was bursitis. Since then she has been using the hip abductor and adductor machine every week and it has almost been like a miracle cure. Consequently I also use it and have noted over the years that more men use it at our gym than ever used to.

Alan, come to think of it, I would also have a dull pain in hip area after a few hours in bed. Since I started using that machine, it has went away also. I wonder how many people like me just assume the aches and pains are just old age and touch of arthritis, when actually it might be muscle imbalance, or lack of flexibility creating the source of irritation on joints.

I think most folks have some kind of functional strength imbalance, particularly in the quadricep and hamstring areas. If those are tight, it can cause lower back pain.

Yes, and these machines seem to appeal especially to the really fit, strong men at my gym, such as the firefighters that work out there. The hip adductor/abductor machines are some of the busiest machines there, though the Nautilus abdominal machine is slightly busier and wins the prize for being the machine most constantly in use at my gym IMO.

My hip pain has virtually disappeared since I started doing regular workouts, and stretching seemed to be responsible. After reading this, I am thinking that perhaps the hip adductor/abductor machines are helping too. I do use both machines religiously, as well as the leg extension and leg curl machines and others. I sleep so much better now.

Last edited:
Yep, that would be me....
sCh_weightlifter2.gif

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute! :LOL:

Of course these machines also seem to be used by the very aged and decrepit, with walkers and canes. I'm sure you do not fit in THAT demographic. I do notice the buff, muscular firefighters a little more than most men, for some reason. :angel:

Last edited:
Rich,

I am a certified yoga instructor in my "spare" time when not working on my day job in Finance. I would recommend Jason Crandell's DVD to you. He has a two-disc DVD set produced by Yoga Journal available on Amazon. Disk 2 contains a 60 minute program that, I believe, would be ideal for your home practice. Disk 1 contains detail instructions of how to do many key yoga poses but you would have to use your remote to advance from one pose to another. Therefore, to do a 45 to 60 minute home practice, you should start by working with Disc 2 which is the actual practice. Check these out through Netflix and let me know how you like them.

I do notice the buff, muscular firefighters a little more than most men, for some reason. :angel:

How do you know they are firemen in the gym? Is it the size of their hoses that get your attention?

How do you know they are firemen in the gym? Is it the size of their hoses that get your attention?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Could be! :eek: What an eyeful. ;)

Or, could be the more boring fact that they come in as a group, all wear official firefighter t-shirts that designate them as such. I am pretty sure that the gym allows them in with no fee as a courtesy to the fire department, and the t-shirts identify them to the staff.

Last edited:
Rich,

I am a certified yoga instructor in my "spare" time when not working on my day job in Finance. I would recommend Jason Crandell's DVD to you. He has a two-disc DVD set produced by Yoga Journal available on Amazon. Disk 2 contains a 60 minute program that, I believe, would be ideal for your home practice. Disk 1 contains detail instructions of how to do many key yoga poses but you would have to use your remote to advance from one pose to another. Therefore, to do a 45 to 60 minute home practice, you should start by working with Disc 2 which is the actual practice. Check these out through Netflix and let me know how you like them.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Retire2014, looks like Crandell has quite a few DVD programs out. Can you specify which set would be the best?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom