You Have Too Much Sh*t

Mo Money

Recycles dryer sheets
Just tripped across this during one of my rambles across the web -- a pithy and irreverent argument for dumping life's detritus: :D

www.youhavetoomuchsh*t.com

Replace the * with an i and you'll get the address. The PDF download of the booklet is free or you can get it as an ebook. Not a booklet for all of us, but for those of us with stuffed attics and garages, it's worth a visit. And at least by my yardstick, it's pretty funny.

Very clever. My sister really needs to read this but I think she would be offended if I sent it to her.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Very clever. My sister really needs to read this but I think she would be offended if I sent it to her.

I've only got stuff.

N totally SFW

There are plenty of anonymous E-mail sites out there....>:D

Back when it was easy to spoof an E-mail address from the command line I sent an E-mail to a slightly misbehaving niece from God@heaven.org. It didn't work because she knew I was the only one in the family who would know how to do that.

Wow. At eighteen pages, that wasn't even a full bathroom read. The irony of this statement isn't lost on me. 😱

Definitely have too much sh*t but I use it to build other sh*t (or build sh*t that can be used to build sh*t more efficiently).

I think being an engineer you are doomed to accumulate sh*t. We are retiring this year and have to sell everything, yet I am still clinging to 17 CO2 lasers, 4 oscilloscopes, a spectrum analyzer, 6 multimeters, 12 power supplies, a YAG fiber laser that I really want to take with us but know I will never use on the road, microscopes, vacuum pumps, 12 Cartesian robots, over 100 brushless servo motors and controllers.

I need a lot more than this short book. I need an intervention.

Not only that, but if it weren't for engineers, we would be still living in the forest eating berries. :LOL:

Which is exactly what I want to be doing next year. (with the RV a few hundred yards away of course)

Funny book, quick read and he gets the point across. It can be read in just a few minutes and then there is more time to work on getting rid of the sh*t!

Definitely have too much sh*t but I use it to build other sh*t (or build sh*t that can be used to build sh*t more efficiently).

I think being an engineer you are doomed to accumulate sh*t. We are retiring this year and have to sell everything, yet I am still clinging to 17 CO2 lasers, 4 oscilloscopes, a spectrum analyzer, 6 multimeters, 12 power supplies, a YAG fiber laser that I really want to take with us but know I will never use on the road, microscopes, vacuum pumps, 12 Cartesian robots, over 100 brushless servo motors and controllers.

When do you need to clear out? I'm building a garage/workshop. I'd let you ship it some of it here and come visit it on occasion...

I always knew we had a lot of sh!t but didn't truly realize just how deep it had gotten until we retired and got rid of everything. We had a two day yard sale and sold tons but still had plenty left afterwards. We donated the rest to a local church for their yard sale. They hauled off six stuffed Ford Expedition loads!

I like taking stuff to the charity thrift shops I don't need and picking up stuff we do need. It is a cheap way to do retail therapy and not spend much money. Last weekend I got 3 bags of stuff on my shopping list for $3.75 from estate sales and a benefit rummage sale. And a few girlie things I didn't need but wanted like vintage hankies and perfume bottles.

I just try to make sure I donate more than I buy so there is a net outflow. One of our kids has been selling the bigger stuff for me on Craigslist on a commission. It is pretty wild how much money we've made so far. There seems to be a market for everything if we drop the price low enough.

Seeing all the estate sales with piles of junk and collections has made DH and I realize we don't want to end up like that so we do at least one or two decluttering projects each week.

Last edited:
I have too much sh#t, but I need most of it. I'm going to start getting rid of stuff that I have multiples of, and stuff that I haven't used in years. Wood chipper and front end loader attachment for my ATV will be the first to go.

I don't have that problem any longer. After downsizing from 3,000 overstuffed sq ft to 1400 sq ft I can honestly say that I now have all the right sh*t and little to no excess. Although my kitchen is 1/3rd the size of my prior kitchen I actually have cabinets that only have one or two things on a shelf. I've also tried to adopt a "one in, one out" methodology which seems to be working. Hallelujah !

Back
Top Bottom