Your first big break?

Before 14, I did some pet sitting odd jobs for neighbors. But there was nothing like working for a stranger and getting a paycheck, well, actually cash for the first few months (don't tell anyone.) After this proof period, I was made official.

As mentioned above, this was my age of a big break. It was a crap job, but the one I learned the most from. And, the owner and bosses moved me up into the office later. I hope other kids are getting this kind of break today.
I did as well, I can remember babysitting once as a 14 year old and was determined not fit lol, never was asked again. I did the best I could.

Also delivered papers for 2 years from 14 to 15. It's odd I don't think SSI ever reported that measly income though.

I had quite a few bad things happen to me. Most of them were medical. I have a had a very hard time from a health perspective. A significant number of medical doctors have said something like "Wow, that's quite a medical history! And you still have a really good attitude!"

I was born with two good things: A really good attitude and being really, really bright. I also turned out to be an under-achiever which kind of negated the being smart part.

Then the real and, by far the most important thing happened in my life:

I met my wife. Nothing but good things. I, both literally and figuratively, wouldn't be alive today without her.

The two best decisions I ever made were to pursue my wife by moving eleven hours away from living in my parents' house with only a car and $335.00 to my name and to go to community college after being stung by yella-jackets on my head whilst working at my minimum wage job straightening fence posts. I feared that my mother was right: A college girl would soon grow tired of an uneducated boy.

We have been married for over 42 years and are still going strong. I hope I live long enough to make Fifty Years!

Back
Top Bottom