"Your Generosity Appreciated" from the mailman

I'd give her something myself, but I didn't ask if people thought the mail carrier deserves a tip.

I wanted to know if people think it's appropriate for the mail carrier to solicit a tip, via what looks like a holiday greeting card.

In hindsight, it would have been better to post a yes/no poll.
Not only is it inappropriate, but it is against the law to solicit.

It reminds me of my interactions with defense employees. They were extremely careful and wouldn't accept anything of value, including a cheap pen with my employer's name and logo. Lunch was entirely out of the question. Now I know the limits were something we'd be under, but they were 100% against anything of value. I believe years of federal training convinced them to completely stay away from anything that might come back on them.

Either the training is missing for your carrier, or they just choose to ignore it and try for a little extra this year.

Last time I checked no one was tipping their doctor or their banker. So yes it is somewhat based on comp and status.

My wife and I ran a small one item retail business for years, we continued way past FI. I had a hard time accepting tips, mostly because I knew my stash and the tippers were usually young women that I expected were working in the service industry living on tips themselves.

(tourist city, tourist economy)
No... I could only dream they were hitting on me :dance:

Tipping is based on etiquette and tradition.

And what are etiquette and tradition based on ... :LOL::LOL:

suddenly tips for in person dining waitstaff turn into tips for the coffee place and some FF outlets, that's not tradition ...

I love that idea, and will do it too. Given that we do nearly all our shopping online, I think I will wait till after the holidays, when fewer people are thinking about giving gifts to the drivers. But won't wait too long...by mid-March, that front step will be an oven and the candy bars will be sludge :facepalm:

I do think the occasional $20 is most appreciated of all, but you can't exactly leave one out on the step.

After reading this, I put out a tray with some bottles of water, candy bars, granola bars, and potato chips with a sign thanking them for all their hard work.

The tone of the letter was pretty nervy, but the postal carriers have gotten slammed this year. FedEX and UPS quit servicing some high volume package shippers and it all got rained onto the post office. If the guy gives good service, I'd give a tip just because.

When I lived in Michigan, I had the same postman for decades and he was a jewel. He'd bring packages to the door with the rest of the mail and ring the door bell and wait for me to settle the dog. When he was on vacation, the service often sucked - packages returned to the post office rather than carried to the door, mail mis-delivered, etc. We always tipped this guy and felt good about it. Here in the PNW, our postal carriers seem to change constantly and service is very uneven. Not even sure who would get the tip on any given day.

Last edited:
That's a petty reaction IMHO..
I agree. Not worth getting some guy fired over and if it got back to the carrier who reported it, you might regret it.

I always clear the snow in front of our mail boxes. It is not my appreciation but more of following the law but none of my neighbors do it.

Not clearing the snow in front of the mailbox is dangerous for whoever needs to check the mail later because of icy surface so I am really doing myself a favor.

Amongst our mail was a post card printed with "Thank You! From Your Letter Carrier" on the front. On the back, it says "Happy Holidays, from my family to yours your generosity is much appreciated!" A handwritten addition says "Mario & Family."

Am I over-sensitive, or does this appear to be a government employee soliciting tips? I'm used to seeing such cards from newspaper carriers, but never from the mail carrier.

Incidentally, while it wouldn't be the case in my immediate neighborhood, a letter carrier probably makes better money than most people in the area he/she serves; and their health insurance is better than mine. They aren't some "poor soul barely making ends meet."

Small world - we must live on the same part of the island. Mario left us the same card last week. He seems to be a good young man, although we were both put off by the card this year. DW is leaving him cookies for Christmas.

Hence the careful wording "thank you for your generosity." Makes it sound as if people were already generous, and he is just thanking everybody who was. It's only the timing (the week before Christmas) that makes it a hint for giving.

No way would I turn him in. I'd look worse than he does.

I don't even complain about the bad service; I figure at least some of my neighbors already have, since we share stories about delivering each other's mail.

Your postal inspector would love to hear about this. If they are a USPS employee, what they did was illegal. Why risk a job with a pension for a few hundred bucks?

https://ask.fedweek.com/federal-government-policies/rules-gifts

Not to mention, after the plow goes through, the mail carrier can't even get to the box unless somebody clears a spot.

I always clear the snow in front of our mail boxes. It is not my appreciation but more of following the law but none of my neighbors do it.

Not clearing the snow in front of the mailbox is dangerous for whoever needs to check the mail later because of icy surface so I am really doing myself a favor.

Guess I'll have to be circumspect with any complaints about neighbors:D

Small world - we must live on the same part of the island. Mario left us the same card last week. He seems to be a good young man, although we were both put off by the card this year. DW is leaving him cookies for Christmas.

Service might get even worse?

I agree. Not worth getting some guy fired over and if it got back to the carrier who reported it, you might regret it.

While I agree with not getting someone fired over this, your statement "you might regret it" speaks volumes about what is wrong with the postal system.

I complained to the local post office boss about a package that was left out in front of my garage in the rain all day, with water pouring off the garage and it sitting in a big puddle. Meanwhile, literally less than 10 feet away is a porch area, not locked (no door) that was covered.

The net result of my complaint....worse service from the delivery person (who now doesn't come down the driveway but rather leaves a form (not filled out properly) that the package is "too big" or "held at post office".

Again, a service that can't be fired, because it is the government and they have you by the (never mind).

UPS? No problem with the driveway. FEDEX? No problem with the driveway. And so on.

It has even changed my purchasing patterns. Less Amazon (which uses USPS here) more Walmart/Sam's Club and others.

I think it's a pretty simple thing and I would guess most are pretty appreciative.
We had an Amazon delivery late yesterday. We were sitting in the living room and saw him stop and jog up the driveway.

He dropped the package by the door and, as he started jogging back to the truck, he saw the sign and tray of water and snacks. He came back and grabbed a snack, then saw us watching and gave us a big smile and a wave.

It's not a big deal, but it felt great being able to thank these folks who are working long hours this time of year.

While I agree with not getting someone fired over this, your statement "you might regret it" speaks volumes about what is wrong with the postal system.

I complained to the local post office boss about a package that was left out in front of my garage in the rain all day, with water pouring off the garage and it sitting in a big puddle. Meanwhile, literally less than 10 feet away is a porch area, not locked (no door) that was covered.

The net result of my complaint....worse service from the delivery person (who now doesn't come down the driveway but rather leaves a form (not filled out properly) that the package is "too big" or "held at post office".

Again, a service that can't be fired, because it is the government and they have you by the (never mind).

UPS? No problem with the driveway. FEDEX? No problem with the driveway. And so on.

It has even changed my purchasing patterns. Less Amazon (which uses USPS here) more Walmart/Sam's Club and others.
Yea, it sucks. Try talking back to a rude cop or DMV employee.

I never could understand this. Public-facing government employees can get away with so much. I never could. If one of my customers had so much as breathed a negative sigh about me, it would have killed my career right then and there. Fortunately it never happened.

Yea, it sucks. Try talking back to a rude cop or DMV employee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom