Your recent repair? 2013 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the glue contains some type of solvent that softens and penetrates the target plastic to allow chemical crosslinking of the bond, I doubt good results can be achieved in a structuraly demanding application.

Yes, heptane.

The link to the data sheet is broken on Loctite's website but I found the data sheet here.

Two part superglues are now available in big box stores for notoriously difficult plastics. And superglue/accelerator/more superglue, etc., to build a thick coat of superglue that cures, may be better than the baking soda technique.
This is not one of those notoriously difficult plastics, AKA polyethelyne and polypropylene.
I don't know what it is, but the glue took to it well.

Let us know if the repair proves to be durable.
In my experience, plastics are notoriously difficult WRT bond strength. For structural/sealing repairs best results are usually achieved with heat or chemical welding techniques - e.g ABS/PVC cement. Good luck!
Will do, but I'm very confident about the repair, as I said to another, whatever type of plastic it is, it took very well to the superglue. It has been reassembled and we put it through some good pulls without mishap.

Really interesting and useful trick with superglue.

Hope it holds on the car part.

Normally for a car part, I either buy a part online (camry door handle) , or visit a car junkyard.

Ya, but a little time while the TV was on, $1.50 worth of glue and a dimes worth of baking soda and I have it together.
Camry :) Yup, repaired two inside and two outside Camry door handles, In those I either used screws or metal pins and epoxy to put them back together.

How old is the van ?
2007 3/4 ton GMC

Can't find a youtube for the exact model of Sony cassette deck I have, but found one for a different Sony. Watched it enough times to see what's what. Will now take apart my Sony tape deck and hope to find it is fixable by replacing belts.

Can't find a youtube for the exact model of Sony cassette deck I have, but found one for a different Sony. Watched it enough times to see what's what. Will now take apart my Sony tape deck and hope to find it is fixable by replacing belts.

Took all the easy screws out. Nothing coming off though. Starting to look like a nightmare. Not giving up yet. Still looking for a 'how to' somewhere.

On a more successful front, I repaired the rear tire on my resuscitated 10 speed road bike. I had pumped up the tire to the recommended high psi, something over 60 psi, probably, and took her out for a spin. After about a half mile, I got 2 bulges from the rear tire, and a thumping, once per revolution. Took her back to the barn for a look see. The tire had come off the rim somewhat in 2 spots. No leak. Tube inside was intact. I deflated the tire, pushed the edges of the tire back into the rim, and reinflated incrementally over the next 2 days, making sure the tire stayed inside the rim, and got get the psi back up to 42. The tire was just slightly bulging at 42 psi. Took her out for a 3 mile ride, and she's doing fine. I plan on leaving the psi at 42, which is really low, according to the internet experts, but it's better than that awful bulge. Smooth ride, too. And unlimited non-boring exercise.

Took all the easy screws out. Nothing coming off though. Starting to look like a nightmare. Not giving up yet. Still looking for a 'how to' somewhere.

Good luck. I saw a youtube on a similar deck, and it was a lot of work to get to the belts.

I had a high quality cassette deck, and I checked it out a few years ago to convert a few remaining cassettes to digital format, and no-go. Belt was broke. Took it apart, and man, it would have required massive effort to get to the belt. I decided it wasn't worth it, the tapes I was converting were not high quality, so I used a cheaper deck I had, then recycled the good one.

I get hits in what look like similar models - is this mechanically the same?

And here's the service manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1003164/Sony-Tc-W320.html?page=5#manual

Get those tapes digitized! They don't last forever.

-ERD50

On a more successful front, I repaired the rear tire on my resuscitated 10 speed road bike. I had pumped up the tire to the recommended high psi, something over 60 psi, probably, and took her out for a spin. After about a half mile, I got 2 bulges from the rear tire, and a thumping, once per revolution. Took her back to the barn for a look see. The tire had come off the rim somewhat in 2 spots. No leak. Tube inside was intact. I deflated the tire, pushed the edges of the tire back into the rim, and reinflated incrementally over the next 2 days, making sure the tire stayed inside the rim, and got get the psi back up to 42. The tire was just slightly bulging at 42 psi. Took her out for a 3 mile ride, and she's doing fine. I plan on leaving the psi at 42, which is really low, according to the internet experts, but it's better than that awful bulge. Smooth ride, too. And unlimited non-boring exercise.

How much is a replacement tire? 10 bucks? Is it really worth taking the chance of a blowout at the far end of your 3 mile ride? Not my problem, obviously, but: really?

If i can assume that you are using the same tire and not a different size for the wheel you have then it may be that the tire bead wasn't properly seated in the wheel. The tube could push under the tire and bulge. If it is a different size tire than the original then it could be the tire width is either too large or too small. That will cause the tire to come off the wheel.

60 psi is not really high pressure but you still need to inflate to somewhere between the minimum and maximum pressure indicated on the tire. Too little pressure can result in what is called a "snake bite" on the tube and a flat tire. Bicycles - a kinetic work of art!

Cheers!

Good luck. I saw a youtube on a similar deck, and it was a lot of work to get to the belts.

I had a high quality cassette deck, and I checked it out a few years ago to convert a few remaining cassettes to digital format, and no-go. Belt was broke. Took it apart, and man, it would have required massive effort to get to the belt. I decided it wasn't worth it, the tapes I was converting were not high quality, so I used a cheaper deck I had, then recycled the good one.

I get hits in what look like similar models - is this mechanically the same?

And here's the service manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1003164/Sony-Tc-W320.html?page=5#manual

Get those tapes digitized! They don't last forever.

-ERD50

ERD50, thanks for the manual. The Sony dual tape deck models are all a bit different from one another, from the Youtubes I've seen.

How much is a replacement tire? 10 bucks? Is it really worth taking the chance of a blowout at the far end of your 3 mile ride? Not my problem, obviously, but: really?

Yes, really. Doing fine so far.

Originally Posted by euro How much is a replacement tire? 10 bucks? Is it really worth taking the chance of a blowout at the far end of your 3 mile ride? Not my problem, obviously, but: really?

Yes, really. Doing fine so far.

Many of us still run in the frugal mindset, even when we have plenty!
Count me in.

Many of us still run in the frugal mindset, even when we have plenty!
Count me in.

More of a safety issue IMO, getting a blowout going downhill at speed could lead to a crash, I'm with Euro, replace the tire already.

A couple of days ago, my friend's 1965 Corvair Monza convertible broke down nearby and he called me as he couldn't figure it out. I pulled off the distributor cap and saw that the ignition points were closed at all times since the adjusting screw used to set the point gap was not tight and slowly allowed the points to close. :blush:

I readjusted the points (set the gap at about the thickness of a matchbook cover) and it started and he went home. Today I installed an electronic ignition system (Pertronix unit) in the distributor eliminating the ignition points. Worked fine.

We also replaced all the bad vacuum hoses and noticed one choke assembly on one of the two carburetors was not functioning. These choke units use a bi-metal spring to control the opening of the choke butterfly. He ordered a pair of spring assemblies from Clark's Corvairs website for future installation. We just temporarily wired the inoperable choke butterfly in the open position.

Nice car, but always something to do on it. :LOL:

A couple of days ago, my friend's 1965 Corvair Monza convertible broke down nearby and he called me as he couldn't figure it out. I pulled off the distributor cap and saw that the ignition points were closed at all times since the adjusting screw used to set the point gap was not tight and slowly allowed the points to close. :blush:

I readjusted the points (set the gap at about the thickness of a matchbook cover) and it started and he went home. Today I installed an electronic ignition system (Pertronix unit) in the distributor eliminating the ignition points. Worked fine.

We also replaced all the bad vacuum hoses and noticed one choke assembly on one of the two carburetors was not functioning. These choke units use a bi-metal spring to control the opening of the choke butterfly. He ordered a pair of spring assemblies from Clark's Corvairs website for future installation. We just temporarily wired the inoperable choke butterfly in the open position.

Nice car, but always something to do on it. :LOL:

Oh, the memories of all my earlier cars... amazing how they have improved over the decades.

Hopefully your friend buys beer, or takes you out for lunch. :flowers:

Oh, the memories of all my earlier cars... amazing how they have improved over the decades.

Hopefully your friend buys beer, or takes you out for lunch. :flowers:

Yes, today's cars are much more forgiving, reliable and controlled by O2 sensors, computers and other "efficiency" gadgets. No Old Skool here! :D

Yeah, he's bought me a few lunches over the years! He also has a 1956 Ford Starliner 2 door sedan that has an upgraded engine and transmission, fuel injection, and some other goodies. That car is a blast from the past and is dead reliable with the new driveline. The Corvair is really his wife's toy.

Yes, today's cars are much more forgiving, reliable and controlled by O2 sensors, computers and other "efficiency" gadgets.

I just read an interesting item the other day that said a typical car 50 years ago emitted more pollution while idling and not moving than a typical car today does while going full speed. No idea if that's actually true, but I'm inclined to believe it.

I know. If it wasn't for that mean Ralph Nader, GM would still be selling 'em.

Actually, I believe GM sold over 1.8 million Corvairs between 1960 and 1969. They were replaced by the Nova/Malibu which was aimed at the automotive mid sized market. If you look at the side profile of the gen II Corvair (1965 - 1969), it's strikingly similar to the Malibu of that time. Corvair was a very successful platform for GM.

Last edited:
I had a "64 Greenbrier van 6 cyl. went off road a lot with it, bought oil by the gallon. My next ride was a "62 VW bus. Texas is a big state at 45-50 mph, used a stick to hold the gas pedal down for cruise control.

I had a "64 Greenbrier van 6 cyl. went off road a lot with it, bought oil by the gallon. My next ride was a "62 VW bus. Texas is a big state at 45-50 mph, used a stick to hold the gas pedal down for cruise control.

My first cruise control was a wire , like a brake cable on a bicycle.

I would pull it out and release a button to lock it at that spot, and it held the carb at the same spot.

So it was great on the flats, but the car slowed down up hills, and sped up going downhill...

My first cruise control was a wire , like a brake cable on a bicycle.

I would pull it out and release a button to lock it at that spot, and it held the carb at the same spot.

So it was great on the flats, but the car slowed down up hills, and sped up going downhill...
I had one like that from JC Whitney. It had two round plates on the control face with teeth that meshed and an electromagnet locked them together. When you touched the brake they released the throttle. Really crude.

I added one called a TDC44 or something like that. Sophisticated compared to one that just holds the throttle open, hehe. It had a thing connected to a vacuum hose that pulled the throttle cable. Magnets on the drive shaft got the speed back to the CPU. It also had a fuel flow meter, so I got instantaneous MPG (except when I was going around a left hand curve, I'd get hundreds of miles per gallon because I didn't mount it vertically, hehehe). Even back then, I wanted to enhance it to consider the distance to the car ahead of me...I called it "tractor beam", but never built it. Now they use the boring terminology "adaptive cruise control". Amazing how far we have come. And if you believe Ray Kurzweil, it will change that much more, but in a much shorter time as we go ahead.

I had one like that from JC Whitney. It had two round plates on the control face with teeth that meshed and an electromagnet locked them together. When you touched the brake they released the throttle. Really crude.

I had a coworker had installed a cruise control on his AMC Gremlin (remember them?) Every time he resumed speed it would floor the acceleration until it hit the desire speed. It made for a rather unpleasant ride to say the least.

To the amazement of my fellow coworkers and myself, he bought a 2nd Gremlin a year later. This one had cruise control built into it at the factory. Ir was better, but still not that great. The car jerked around, slowing down and speeding up in what I figure was an attempt to get the average speed to match the speed the control was set at. :eek: Needless to say, I am very spoiled by my adaptive cruise control in my RAV4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom