"You're too young to retire!"

When I retired early I lived just outside a small town. I actually had people confront me with this selfish decision, in the supermarket or feed store. It got less frequent as I got older, and as more early retirees from California and elsewhere moved into this very scenic place. The overal cure for it is age, but today even at 70 people's default assumption is that I am working. To me this is not hard to explain. People feel more kinship to those with whom they share more experience. If 10 guys start their day with acid stomachs, and the 11th sleeps till he wakes up and goes out to sit on the deck, he is kind of an odd man out and will not be as likely to be accepted as one of the guys. This causes no resentment of struggle in me, as I realize that I would likely feel the same way

Ha

O.K. ok year after next I will have racked up 20 years of ER. Should I surrender to survivors guilt and get a j-- OR GO BACK TO W--- possibly risking my current good health.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :dance:

heh heh heh - my bib overalls make me look older. Plus many 'assume' I still work at something. :cool:

P.S. I kept a low profile and called myself unemployed age 49 - 55 til the first pension check made me 'official'.

O.K. ok year after next I will have racked up 20 years of ER. Should I surrender to survivors guilt and get a j-- OR GO BACK TO W--- possibly risking my current good health.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :dance:

heh heh heh - my bib overalls make me look older. Plus many 'assume' I still work at something. :cool:

P.S. I kept a low profile and called myself unemployed age 49 - 55 til the first pension check made me 'official'.

I love bib overalls Unclemick. It's my Kansas roots.

heh heh heh;)

The story would come across very different if the man retired, the woman continued to work, and a maid was hired to cook and clean.

I suspect a man in this situation would be severely criticized for voluntarily retiring before "the little woman" since our societal norms are for the man to remain in harness until he drops. To retire first and then not take over all household duties would make it all the worse.

Perhaps changes to women's roles over the past few decades have tempered this, but I think there are still strong cultural norms in place. I think we had a thread on this a while back which was a discussion of the issues involved when a man voluntarily retires before his wife. Can't find it right now.

Based on the facts presented and this guy's attitude toward his mother, I'd have no urgent plans to form a relaltionship with him if I were young and single.
Like they say, there's a boy for every girl, but not every boy. :)

Ha

The day I walked out the door from Megacorp for the last time and officially considered myself retired was one of the happiest days of my life.

We have a bunch of things that are free for seniors. I have been getting the seniors discount on my haircuts since I was 55. Sometimes the bus driver will ask for proof and I just shake his hand and thank him. The ferries are free during the week and we have to supply proof (a Gold Healthcare card). That saves $28 each time.

A few years ago, we were celebrating a friend's 55yo birthday and I treated them to a cruise in their harbour. Turns out they offer the discount at 55 and so he got the earliest discount ever!

About 15 years ago I took my visiting parents to a State Park (Port Hudson). They had one of their granddaughters with them (aged 10) plus we had my 2 young kids. As I went to pay the entrance fee, Dad said, "Let me get this son, it's about time you let me pay for something on this holiday". It was a genuine offer and he thought it was hilarious that he only had to pay for 1 of the 6 tickets as he, my mother and the 3 kids were all free.

Since we passed 55, the 'concession' we like best are the senior meals offered at some restaurants. These days we prefer the smaller portions that come with these meals.

Since we passed 55, the 'concession' we like best are the senior meals offered at some restaurants. These days we prefer the smaller portions that come with these meals.

I haven't stumbled on senior meals yet. I could use the smaller portions though.:blush:

I would rather be considered too young to be retired than too old to still be working :facepalm: ...

Funny how the "too young" comments fell off when I moved from my 50's to my 60's....

I haven't stumbled on senior meals yet. I could use the smaller portions though.:blush:

There are plenty around. When we travel for example we love Denny's breakfast options for Seniors.

Senior Discounts - Restaurants Offering Senior Discounts

Restaurants Offering Senior Discounts Include:
  • Arby's
  • Bakers Square
  • Bennigan's Bob's Big Boy
  • Boston Market
  • Burger King
  • Carl's Jr.
  • Carrows
  • Chick-fil-A
  • Chili's Grill & Bar
  • Church's Chicken
  • Coco's Bakery Restaurants
  • Country Kitchen
  • Dairy Queen
  • Denny's
  • Dunkin Donuts
  • El Pollo Loco
  • Elephant Bar Restaurant
  • Fosters Freeze
  • Fresh Choice
  • Friendly's Restaurant and Ice Cream
  • Fuddruckers
  • Golden Corral
  • Gondola Pizza & Steak House
  • Grandy's
  • Hardees
  • HomeTown Buffet
  • IHOP
  • Jack in the Box
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken
  • Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
  • Krystals
  • Le Peep
  • Long John Silver's
  • McDonald's
  • Mrs. Fields Cookies
  • Ponderosa Steakhouse
  • Popeye's Fried Chicken
  • Shoney's
  • Sizzler
  • Sonic Drive In
  • Souper Salad
  • T.J. Cinnamons
  • Taco Bell
  • TCBY
  • Todai
  • Village Inn
  • Wendy's
  • Whataburger
Discounts and age requirements may vary depending on the location of the restaurant. Asking before ordering is always a good idea.

Have you found any in England?

I haven't been looking as we are too young. Concessions or discounts here are usually shown for "OAP's" which is at age 60 (women) or 65 (men).

Most meals we eat out are at the small town we live, in local cafes and restaurants. I'll try and remember to look.

DW and I often stop for breakfast midway on a morning bike ride and split a
Senior meal. It's a great deal.

DW and I often stop for breakfast midway on a morning bike ride and split a
Senior meal. It's a great deal.

Now you are making me feel guilty that we usually split a regular meal! :LOL:

Yesterday we split a chicken Caesar wrap, and honestly that was enough. I don't see how people manage to eat a whole one. :sick:

Back
Top Bottom