Youtube Revenue Sharing

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Youtube contacted me because this video

Happy Birthday, Jenny! - YouTube

has gotten enough hits (around 4,000) that they want to put ads up next to it and share the revenue with me.

I don't think I'll do it, since I don't like ads on the Internet. But I was wondering if any of you have done something like that.

I love it, Al! That is absolutely hilarious and a nice Happy Birthday for her.

And since she has probably seen it already, I don't see any reason why you couldn't make a little money off of it on the side, now. I'd go for it, were it me. Foregoing the money isn't going to make much difference in cleaning up the internet, but it might buy you dinner.

I don't think I'll do it, since I don't like ads on the Internet. But I was wondering if any of you have done something like that.
You've achieved the Nirvana that hundreds of personal finance bloggers are striving for every day. Better still, you did it while having fun-- something most of those bloggers are still striving for every day.

Be a rebel, Al. Subvert the system from within! You could take Google's money and strike a blow for Internet users everywhere by donating it to AdBlock or buying your neighbor's property or giving it to your favorite charity.

And, hey, congratulations! I bet this achievement puts you in a pretty small subset of YouTube posters.

That is hysterical ! Why not take the money and give it to Jenny ? Or put the money away for her lavish wedding that you'll be hosting in the near future .:)

I recall when you first posted it. I'm not sure I knew it was originally by you, maybe I was thinking you just adapted it? Very funny, really good.

I would not have thought 4,000 hits and 4 comments would be enough to draw their attention. But I say do it, just to get some idea of how much money comes in.

Yes, the ads are a bit annoying, but youtube has provided a significant amount of entertainment and even useful stuff (check the lectures, DIY tips, etc) - I personally think those ads are a more than fair 'price' to pay for what is offered. As long as they don't go to the high-action, jump up and down and block your view types.

-ERD50

This had useful info:

Don’t Enable Revenue Sharing on YouTube Before Reading This

Apparently videos that are getting popular attract the attention of a youtube app, and if you are interested, a real person looks at it.

I got the Qaddafi video from YouTube, and I don't know if that would be a copyright problem. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a lot of income, unless it really went viral.

Of course it would then be tempting to do the same kind of thing with other videos of foreign people speaking...

That is hysterical ! Why not take the money and give it to Jenny ? Or put the money away for her lavish wedding that you'll be hosting in the near future .:)

+1. And you can invite everybody on this thread.

This had useful info:

Don’t Enable Revenue Sharing on YouTube Before Reading This

Apparently videos that are getting popular attract the attention of a youtube app, and if you are interested, a real person looks at it.

I got the Qaddafi video from YouTube, and I don't know if that would be a copyright problem. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a lot of income, unless it really went viral.

Of course it would then be tempting to do the same kind of thing with other videos of foreign people speaking...

If I read that right, you need to hit $100 before they transfer any funds. I'm guessing that's a pretty high threshold to hit, unless you get really popular.

I also wonder if they would consider that a copyright violation of Al Jazeera, or if it fits under parody laws, or if news clips of public events are considered public domain? Or would youtube either just not care and say 'OK', or play it conservative and say 'No'.

It would be interesting to hear from people who made some steady hundreds of dollars, versus the very few that have made thousands with one that went 'viral'.

Hmmm, 'Jazerra' doesn't happen to mean 'Trombone' in Arabic, does it? Maybe they re the ones with the copyright issues! Better check into that!

-ERD50

And then there's the danger of some kind of fatwa against me.

From my Intergoogling, it seems that to earn $100, you'd need about 90,000 views. That's not going to happen.

Muammar Gadaffi might see the video on this board, now that he is "early retiring".:LOL:
Hilarious video. I bet some of the UN interpreters wish they could've used your translation that day. :)

And then there's the danger of some kind of fatwa against me.

I don't think Qaddafi's is in any position to be issuing fatwas anyways. If anything, your hilarious parody would probably earn you an honorary position with the transitional government!

Hmm, let's see, you'll need an Arabic name... How about TromboneAl Al-Ameriki or TromboneAl Al-California?

Hey, Mr. Al-A-Whaky, I showed your video to Frank and he laughed out loud so hard. He thought it was absolutely terrific, and we all need a good laugh so thanks. :flowers:

I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it. You are hilarious! I love it!

T Al, I got the invite to Adsense the other day too. I have a few vids with around a 1000 views each, nothing spectacular. I signed up.

So far I earned $0.84 cents and that was from my own click (technically against their terms of service but I was really curious "does this thing work?). I'm tempted to put some more videos up to see what happens.

Last edited:
T-Al - that is awesome - and you even used some of the words he was mouthing, so the sound matching worked well, too. Excellent!

As for ad linking - well, only if you actually see money......otherwise, I say no and like you can't stand the ad linking in the videos.

Back
Top Bottom