Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You guys look great!

While wifey is working and you are not would not be a good time to ask wifey to cut expenses...

Have Fun!
Good advice.

Also, meet her at the car when she comes home. Carry her things in. Make sure the house is pristine when she walks in the door at the end of her work day. Cook dinner. Tell her not to worry about the dishes since you'll be doing them. Rub her feet. In the morning, volunteer to put her things in the car as she's getting ready to leave. Do everything you can to make her feel even more spoiled than usual.

Trust me on this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

One of the first choices I need to make is wether to take my pension as an annuity or lump sum.

Lump Sum = $229,865
Single Life = $19286 (8.39% return)
The 100% survivor option = $16819 (7.31%)

Given we have no other source of guaranteed income until I reach SS age in 5 years, I am very strongly leaning toward the 100% survivor option. There is no COLA provision.

What does everybody think?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Good advice.

Also, meet her at the car when she comes home. Carry her things in. Make sure the house is pristine when she walks in the door at the end of her work day. Cook dinner. Tell her not to worry about the dishes since you'll be doing them. Rub her feet. In the morning, volunteer to put her things in the car as she's getting ready to leave. Do everything you can to make her feel even more spoiled than usual.

Trust me on this.
Heck, I'd rather go back to work.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your "return" includes return of principal. I don't have the skills to calculate your real return on the $229,865.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just plugging 229,865 premium into immediateannuities.com (assuming you are 57 and DW is 56) indicates that your employer may be offering you an attractive deal on the 100% survivor option. Play around there and see what you could get on the open market.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama604 View Post
One of the first choices I need to make is wether to take my pension as an annuity or lump sum.

Lump Sum = $229,865
Single Life = $19286 (8.39% return)
The 100% survivor option = $16819 (7.31%)

Given we have no other source of guaranteed income until I reach SS age in 5 years, I am very strongly leaning toward the 100% survivor option. There is no COLA provision.

What does everybody think?
Take the 100% survivor option. I'm assuming there is no time limit on it.
When I enter your money lumpsum for https://www.immediateannuities.com with suvivorship I get a low value of $10,968 / yr.

So your Pension is much better than you can buy with cash.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the feedback. My company is referring to the annuity as an 'enhanced annuity', they seem to be adding an extra payment on top of the base annuity payment. Which is why it is much better payout than what any of the annuity websites estimate.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

From my experience, the 100% survivor option had been the best thing for piece of mind that we have. You dont have to worry about investing the lump sum or paying the taxes on it. And knowing that there will always be the payment on the first of the month is reassuring.