Hello All

Canadian Grunt

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, another lurker here. Feel like a fish that’s been reeled in. I first retired at 39 after 21 years in the Canadian Infantry. I have a Commerce degree and a great interest in financial positions and life histories of early retirees.

Unfortunately, I got lured back to the Defence Dept with the offer to double dip on government pensions. Nords, I took interest in your ER experiences as you are the closest ER I can relate too. Thanks to the Kaderlies links for that.

Hope to engage in discussions with people of a similar mindset. Appears to be plenty here.

Thanks in advance for relating your experiences,

Paul

P.S. I’m new to this posting stuff so I might inadvertently post in the wrong area while I get my bearings.

Canadian Grunt said:
Unfortunately, I got lured back to the Defence Dept with the offer to double dip on government pensions.
Welcome to the board, Grunt!

So what's the next step?

Well Nords, planning again for retirement or semi retirement. I am done double dipping in 5 years, earlier if things work out. I live in Edmonton, Alberta so I’m riding the housing wave right now. We are undergoing one of the greatest booms in North America right now. 1.3 Trillion barrels of oil changes the outlook for the economy. But it’s a rat race here.

I really enjoyed the two years I was retired. I am constantly amazed at why more military pers can’t get their act together and make a run for ER. Overspending I guess! And poor planning. Planning was the greatest asset I left with.

I believe I read somewhere you were considering writing a finance book for military pers. Seems like a good idea to me as your military is large enough to make the venture worth while.

The opportunity is there for military pers to set themselves up for ER if they plan correctly. You know how it is; they need a role model to follow, and some encouragement from the inside. You could start a revolution. Freedom!

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom