Hello-career burnout/retirement

SeanPizzle

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello. Finally got registered on this forum after lurking for a while. I recently left a very high stress career in technilogy sales (20 years, I'm 47). I made very good money for years, but the stress of the treadmill was taking its toll. We are debt free with a 13 year old daughter that has a funded 529 account.

At the present time I don't know if this is a career burnout or a retirement. I started a small sales company last month and can probably more than cover our living expenses of 5 to 6k per month by working on my own terms.

Once we reshuffle everything around, we should have about 2.2M in investable assets, plus about 3k a month from rental/royalties.

My mindset is feeling like I can't retire without guilt but I know I cant ride the treadmill anymore.

I look forward to interacting in discussions with those on this forum that have walked the path ahead of us

Sean

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've made a much needed change and already landed in a situation that appears workable long term. Congratulations and hope all works well for you.

I'm 41. 2 young kids. So similar in that way. I'm not retired yet but fairly safely FI.

I think your transitional approach is a smart move. I've done a bit here... buy not much... certainly nowhere near covering monthly costs and part of that is just procrastination :)... OK... part = 95%. So if you've done that it sounds like you're in good shape.

Wish you the best on your next adventure! Don't think too much about guilt. I'm sure the company will survive without you and I'm sure if they didn't need you anymore the guilt wouldn't be enough to keep the paycheck flowing :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Shifting to a lower stress situation that still provides income is a good move. I have a year to go and considered asking if I could go part time. It would have been emotionally easier, although I have changed my mind and will just stop altogether. You should do what is right for you.

Back
Top Bottom