How much advance notice to give?

Hi NotReady4Purple,
I gave 2 months notice even though only 2 weeks was customary. I did this to reduce the negative impact of my departure on those co-workers I cared about. By the way, I'm curious about your forum name. When I first saw it, I though about something I saw on TV about mature ladies who wear purple and red hats. Is this it or does your forum name refer to something else? Again, just curious. By the way, my forum name "Purron" refers to my love of kitty cats and is the kitty version of "Right on"
O0

One month's notice is more than sufficient unless you are a key employee. Notice in advance of that is rarely an incentive for management to transfer responsibilities smoothly.

I see you are keeping your personal business stuff at home, that is wise. Also manage your personal leave accrual, use what you could loose. If you need health care covered by your workplace insurance get that done.

If you see any signs of financial distress before you give notice that is the time to let your manager know that if w/he had to make a tough decision that you could weather a reduction better than many. To be rif'ed about the time that you would otherwise resign is nice. If you have given notice you probably wouldn't be included in the severance package.

Hi Purron,

Good guess. It comes from a poem by Jenny Joseph

When I Am An Old Woman
I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit. You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and a pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple.

Right now, I'm not ready for purple - but someday.... :)

Back to employment. My employer has laid folks off with two weeks notice - but they've provided very generous (many months) of severance and support.

I need to stay employed until my 55th birthday in order to get some company support for post-retirement health care subsidy - and that's one reason to tread somewhat carefully.

Then do not breathe a word until you are 55. It isn't a chance worth taking. Focus on surviving until then. Once you celebrate your double nickel then execute your exit strategy.

Brat nailed it. There's no upside and a lot of downside for you if the company learns of your plans.

Welcome, Notready4purple;
When i gave my notice at the end of 2006 in a privately run company I had been with for over 13 years and had worked as a consultant 15 more, I gave 2 months notice. I was told I would not be allowed to play bingo for a chance of the big trips to Bermuda and stuff (so I did not go to the last christmas party). I was not really given a send off party except that so many people wanted one that they pulled something together in the board room. The very wealthy family gave me a $1000 gift certificate but did not really praise anything I had done for the company (this was not the way they had treated anyone else). I felt very strange for the last 2 months and they did not find a replacement for me for 6 months after I left. If you think this will happen to you give the minimal time. I am very happy now and I miss nothing in the work world.:D

Back
Top Bottom