Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Here's where Andy H lets you know he's not "sooo sensitive...". Some brilliant posts thusfar and it's been a hoot watching most of you "posture". I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.

For those of you instantly devaluing anything I might offer and opting for the "mine's bigger" approach, best of luck to you. You know you can also buy nearly every ingredient for any prescriptions you're taking during your retirement years...right off the internet and mix your own drugs. You'll probably wind up saving a ship full of money...or you could kill yourself.

I'm sure you'll have fun with this one as I tune out, watch, and laugh...

Don't be so angry, you'll enjoy life much more - with or without money!
Heh, looks like we killed another one, since he cannot be bothered to answer direct questions.

Exit, stage right...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Heh, looks like we killed another one, since he cannot be bothered to answer direct questions.
Exit, stage right...
Maybe we should match Andy H up with the right customers. Isn't Rob Bennett in need of financial advice?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here's where Andy H lets you know he's not "sooo sensitive...". Some brilliant posts thusfar and it's been a hoot watching most of you "posture". I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.

For those of you instantly devaluing anything I might offer and opting for the "mine's bigger" approach, best of luck to you. You know you can also buy nearly every ingredient for any prescriptions you're taking during your retirement years...right off the internet and mix your own drugs. You'll probably wind up saving a ship full of money...or you could kill yourself.

Andy,

I was quick to come to your support re: your early victimization here and frankly felt embarrassed by some of the rabid posts aimed your way. I posted a supportive reply early on because I felt the reactions of some here were excessive and rude. I got a few private messages praising that action.

The smugness you are displaying here make me wonder if I did the right thing. I don't pretend to know your intentions but this kind of message serves only to provoke and troll. The critics obviously got to you.

Only time will tell if this is a good fit.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Smiling ear to ear...let me assure, I can take the heat...

Andy
It would appear this Ford salesman who showed up at a Chevy car rally wasn't wearing FIRE retardant underwear...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Andy, most people here made their millions without a financial advisor, and most have friends/relatives or their own story about F.A.'s who swindled them with high fee, variable annuity B.S. funds use to enrich themselves. You also praised the biggest scam artist of them all, Robert Kiyosaki, who despite all his claims of being a real estate genius, owned a total of two properties when he was first schilling his books, and got his start warming up the crowd for a previous infomercial huckster. Now you tell a bunch of people who have no trouble managing their finances that you'll laugh at them as they fail without your expertise, and after all that, you have failed to post your first post offering "insight".

But this crowd is a forgiving sort. Just join in on any thread with your opinion, and don't take the fact that you are being challenged on your opinions personally. This is a pretty BS free zone, and the members work hard to make you prove you aren't changing that.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
But this crowd is a forgiving sort.

We don't suffer [delete] lightly.

Let's keep this civil - bssc

- Will Rogers
Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.......

I've always been quite willing to give everyone a chance to prove themselves, before I made any judgment call on them. Your posts offered little content, and as Brewer said, you've not bothered to answer any direct questions. It's pretty much made you look like a troll. And I would say that your statement above removes all doubt.

Trolls fit in well in fairy tales, but that's not the case with retirement forums. You say that your "role here will be entertainment from this point forward", but might I suggest a much different role that you'll actually be filling. That role will be to fill a spot that is currently vacant on the "Ignore List".

Have a good day, Andy H!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #68

Quote:
Andy, most people here made their millions without a financial advisor, and most have friends/relatives or their own story about F.A.'s who swindled them with high fee, variable annuity B.S. funds use to enrich themselves. You also praised the biggest scam artist of them all, Robert Kiyosaki, who despite all his claims of being a real estate genius, owned a total of two properties when he was first schilling his books, and got his start warming up the crowd for a previous infomercial huckster. Now you tell a bunch of people who have no trouble managing their finances that you'll laugh at them as they fail without your expertise, and after all that, you have failed to post your first post offering "insight".

But this crowd is a forgiving sort. Just join in on any thread with your opinion, and don't take the fact that you are being challenged on your opinions personally. This is a pretty BS free zone, and the members work hard to make you prove you aren't changing that.
Hey 'financedude' survived the financial advisor hazing so there is hope. Then again, Fd had a much different approach .
Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #69

Put on da brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Have a good day, Andy H!
You guys just need to lighten up! He said he was a financial planner. Some asked some questions about his opinion, he replied nicely and with depth in his answers. Some didn't like his answers, and then the sharks attacked.

Isn't retirement about going with the flow? If you made your living providing advise for a fee, would you give it away free? And if you did, would you hang around and take abuse about it

. . . Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

-- Rita (not retired yet -- but soon!)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
If you made your living providing advise for a fee, would you give it away free? And if you did, would you hang around and take abuse about it

. . .
This board is all about giving information and insights for free. Aside from the fact that he likely has nothing of value to give to any of us, it remains true that this board is not supposed to be used for commercial interests.

So if he wants to talk about his photo hobby, great! If he wants to brag what a good Dad he is, great! But if people ask him general questions about his supposed area of expertise and he doesn't give helpful answers, he doesn't belong here.

Check out Martha, Rich and Brewer among many others who really do have valuable information, and share it quite freely.

Ha
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Hey 'financedude' survived the financial advisor hazing so there is hope. .
Hazing, fraternity, sophomoric! I don't need a bunch of goofballs censoring what I read. I reread the thread and I think the attacks were uncalled for and did not add anything to the thread. If I don't agree with what someone says I at least try to present a counter argument. If you are afraid someone is going to shatter your beliefs use your ignore button. What you don't know can't hurt you. You'll still be "right" in your little world.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #72

Quote:

AndyH,
Laurencewill stated it very well. My sentiments exactly.

I have been badly burned in the past by stock brokers and FAs that professed to have my best interst in mind. One was at least honest enough to tell me I had to watch him because he had a habit of churning when he was in need of money.

In spite of their manipulation, my DW and I became FI by LBYM. I still seek and accept advice, but I become a little nervous when I feel their hand in my pocket that contains my wallet.

As I stated earlier, you can bring some good insight to this forum as long as you are straight with us.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Andy H. I believe you have caught a number of us on our worst behavior.

I think part of the problem with these boards is that quick written notes do not alway convey the complete meaning. You cannot see the expression of ones face, the voice inflection, etc... all of the things that set the tone for a message. I know a few of the comments were written with the intent of a light hearted joke.

Others were a bit out of line. Regardless the the rationalizations stated after the fact.

One other thing to consider. Many of the comments you see here are not indicative of the community at large.

Your profession and Insurance Agents are two that are rife with marginally competent people (order takers that say words) and in some cases out and out miscreants out to take advantage of people. This has given those industries/professions a bad reputation.

However, you will often see a number of us glued to those CFP Journal articles trying to glean a better understanding of how to approach some aspect of FI and retirement.

So, I welcome your perspective. I am sure you have a thing or two to teach all of us. There are quite a number of people here that will benefit from your perspective.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You guys just need to lighten up! He said he was a financial planner. Some asked some questions about his opinion, he replied nicely and with depth in his answers. Some didn't like his answers, and then the sharks attacked.
Horse Pucky. This bozo swanned in, told us he was a inancial planner who just knows so much about personal finance, and then proceeds to be smug and refuse to answer direct questions with anything other than vague generalities.

He deserved the spanking he got.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #75

Quote:
He said he was a financial planner. Some asked some questions about his opinion, he replied nicely and with depth in his answers.
We have the option to boldface, italize, underline, even strikeout. But I have yet to find the option to make text invisible. What's the secret command?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Way too many electron being said about Andy H. He didn't put much effort into his posts.

____
There was a blonde who found herself sitting next to a Lawyer on an airplane. The lawyer just kept bugging the blonde wanting her to play a game of intelligence. Finally, the lawyer offered her 10 to 1 odds, and said every time the blonde could not answer one of his questions, she owed him $5, but every time he could not answer hers, he'd give her $50.00. The lawyer figured he could not lose, and the blonde reluctantly accepted.

The lawyer first asked, "What is the distance between the Earth and the nearest star?"

Without saying a word the blonde handed him $5. then the blonde asked, "What goes up a hill with 3 legs and comes back down the hill with 4 legs?"

Well, the lawyer looked puzzled. He took several hours, looking up everything he could on his laptop and even placing numerous air-to-ground phone calls trying to find the answer. Finally, angry and frustrated, he gave up and paid the blonde $50.00

The blonde put the $50 into her purse without comment, but the lawyer insisted, "What is the answer to your question?"

Without saying a word, the blonde handed him $5.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Way too many electron being said about Andy H. He didn't put much effort into his posts.
I think he's just become the bored board pinata.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Hi Andy ,
Announcing your a Financial advisor around here is akin to going to a singles dance with a sign that says I have herpes .
Anyway welcome !
Just found this thread, my only comment is, he has brass ones..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

ROTFLMAO............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Horse Pucky. This bozo swanned in, told us he was a inancial planner who just knows so much about personal finance, and then proceeds to be smug and refuse to answer direct questions with anything other than vague generalities.
He deserved the spanking he got.
People responded the same way to H0cus' first dozen or so posts, but he quickly wrapped plenty of rope around his neck cleared up their misapprehensions.

I'm sure Andy H will be able to similarly clear up the impression he's making. Or perhaps he already has.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote