Retired USAF Officer

moonmullins

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello there. My name is Gerald and I retired a year ago. I've lived a pretty frugal life so my military retirement is plenty enough to live on without working. I've gone all over the place in how to spend my time. Uber driver, author of two ebooks, traveled Europe and South America for a couple of months, home projects. I'm now thinking of learning how to edit videos and I'm starting my own YouTube channel. Haha. Enough about me, how is everyone doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerald, welcome to the forum from a fellow former USAF officer.

You might want to reconsider using your real name on this forum. Many of the discussions here involve individual financial details and most people are reluctant to share that information if they cannot remain anonymous. If you want to pick another forum "handle", send a PM to one of the mods/administrators and request a change.

Welcome! I too am retired from the AF (but alas, I was *just* enlisted swine!). You find great information around here and don't worry, I think you will find PLENTY to do with your time...and hopefully that doesn't include being an Uber driver! ;)

Oh, good grief! Another one. :D
I retired from the USAF a very long time ago, so I have at least an inkling of your background. Thank you for being part of a truly awesome organization. It's very much appreciated, even if it doesn't always seem that way.

This is one of the best online communities you'll ever find, so give it a chance and you may find yourself becoming a regular.

Welcome! I too am retired from the AF (but alas, I was *just* enlisted swine!). You find great information around here and don't worry, I think you will find PLENTY to do with your time...and hopefully that doesn't include being an Uber driver! ;)

I was enlisted for 14 and an officer for 17. Haha. Retired as an O-5. In my enlisted swine days I was PMEL. Ended up as a Maintenance Officer. Great career.

Yes, definitely change your name on here, unless it is a fake one already.

I worked with USAF a lot from Wright Patterson, StarFire Optical Range, JSF and ABL and my observation was that the intelligence of the officer was usually inversely proportional to the rank.......

Welcome! My son just started college on an AFROTC scholarship, he's always dreamed of being in the AF. Had his heart set on the academy, and I think he just missed getting in by a whisker.

Welcome aboard Gerald. I like your idea of making YouTube videos. One retirement plan I have is to start making "how to" videos for different things. I have seen such videos on YouTube for different things (like how to replace my vehicle's turn signal bulb), and they were extremely helpful. So, I think it would be great to "pay it forward".

Welcome! My son just started college on an AFROTC scholarship, he's always dreamed of being in the AF. Had his heart set on the academy, and I think he just missed getting in by a whisker.

My two college roommates also took AFROTC--as did every able bodied male for 2 years in our university (1968).

And although they didn't go to The Academy, all their subordinates also called them "The Colonel."

One was the postmaster at Fairfield, CA and the other one was a B52 pilot and head of safety at Satellite Beach, FL. My other college buddy was a F15 pilot.

I also have a close friend that was the pilot of the last SR71 flight that set all the coast to coast flight records. He was delivering the plane to the Smithsonian. He's really got some good stories about his years in fighters and the SR71.

Welcome, I work with a lot of your fellow officers here at KAFB, both active and retired. Several O-5's in the mix. Uber seems too much like work to me, do something that is more fun.

Oh, good grief! Another one. :D
I retired from the USAF a very long time ago, so I have at least an inkling of your background. Thank you for being part of a truly awesome organization. It's very much appreciated, even if it doesn't always seem that way.

This is one of the best online communities you'll ever find, so give it a chance and you may find yourself becoming a regular.

+1

23 yrs Active/Reserve USAF duty here.

Welcome! ✈️

Welcome. I never served but work at military bases a lot and most seem to be AF. I just spent the past two weeks working at Tinker and have been working on and off there for about 4 years now. I've also worked multiple times at Vance, Offutt, Ellsworth, and Grand Forks.

You sound like an interesting person. Congratulations on your early retirement!

Last edited by a moderator:

You might want to reconsider using your real name on this forum. Many of the discussions here involve individual financial details and most people are reluctant to share that information if they cannot remain anonymous. If you want to pick another forum "handle", send a PM to one of the mods/administrators and request a change.

+1 on this. I was easily able to google his name, establish residence, Facebook page etc. Being he's ex military and there are a surplus of crazy people out there, def advisable to change your handle.

Hello there. My name is Gerald and I retired a year ago. I've lived a pretty frugal life so my military retirement is plenty enough to live on without working. I've gone all over the place in how to spend my time. Uber driver, author of two ebooks, traveled Europe and South America for a couple of months, home projects. I'm now thinking of learning how to edit videos and I'm starting my own YouTube channel. Haha. Enough about me, how is everyone doing?
Welcome to the forum, Gerald. Let me know if you have any questions about the good side of the military pension, but you seem to have figured out what you're going to do all day.

You might want to reconsider using your real name on this forum. Many of the discussions here involve individual financial details and most people are reluctant to share that information if they cannot remain anonymous.
I think he's doing search-engine optimization!

I also have a close friend that was the pilot of the last SR71 flight that set all the coast to coast flight records. He was delivering the plane to the Smithsonian. He's really got some good stories about his years in fighters and the SR71.

That would be young Ed Yeilding....64 minutes. He tried to give me a local area check out in the F-4 but we aborted the flight for maintenance reasons. Probably one of the most unassuming men you could meet. A real gentleman.

Last edited:

Ha! In my flying days, I believe enlisted aircrew were called "sweaties." It was actually a term of endearment, since they did most of the physical work on and around the aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom