103 years ago

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The linked article gives numbers (statistics) about the years 1910. Before you read it, go through the redacted version, and see how many of the "facts" you can guesstimate.

1910 was the year my parents were born, and my grandparents were in their mid 20's.

http://ericfm.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/1910-ford-make-sure-you-read-all-the-statistics-under-the-photo/
.........................................................................................................
This has only been 102 years ago…Amazing

Show this to your friends, children and/or grandchildren!

The year is 1910, over one hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes!

Here are some statistics for the Year 1910:

The average life expectancy for men was (?) years.

Fuel for this car was sold in (what kind of) store only.

Only (?) percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only (?) percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only (?) cars and only (?) miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was (?) mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the (?).

The average US wage in 1910 was (?) cents per hour.

The average US worker made between $(?) and $(?) per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $(?)) per year, a dentist $(?) per year, a veterinarian between $(?) and $(?) per year, and a mechanical engineer about $(?) per year.

More than (?) percent of all births took place at HOME.

(?) percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as ‘substandard.’

Sugar cost (?) cents a pound.

Eggs were (?) cents a dozen.

Coffee was (?) cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used (?) or (?) for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for (?) reason.

The Five leading causes of death were:

1. (?)

2. (?)

3. (?)

4. (?)

5. (?)

The American flag had (?) stars.

The population of Las Vegas , Nevada was only (?)!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.

There was no Mother’s Day or Father’s Day.

(?) out of every 10 adults couldn’t read or write and only (?) percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, ‘Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health’

(?) percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about (?) reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself. From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD – all in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.
...............................................................................................................

"Everything's up to date in Kansas City...
They've gone about as far as they can go...!)

Last edited:
Interesting. Trick question on the Flag. 45 stars but there were 46 states in 1910.
I did get the tallest structure right.

There will never be another generation that will see as much change in their life. Things change quickly now but the changes are not as profound as how life changed when horses were replaced, for instance. I think that Bernstein book The Birth of Plenty explains it well.

Interesting. Trick question on the Flag. 45 stars but there were 46 states in 1910.
I did get the tallest structure right.

There will never be another generation that will see as much change in their life. Things change quickly now but the changes are not as profound as how life changed when horses were replaced, for instance. I think that Bernstein book The Birth of Plenty explains it well.
Just found a bunch of pictures of my grandfather from the 20's and 30's.

In the 20s, the pictures were typically of him plowing with some sort of work animal.

In the 30s, nearly every picture had the car in it. His vehicle was a profound life changer for him, and he was darn proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom