Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 180
Old 01-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I'd like to do a 180 and become an exotic dancer
Now we really need to see a photo! *

Thanks for the advice all. I think the logical side is winning, so probably 2007 will be the year of change. It just makes a ton more sense to have someone in the family holding down a steady job, and providing medical coverage among other things. As for "why"- I enjoy working with people, like to solve problems, and medicine has always fascinated me (esp the field of oncology).

This is not the reason for the 180, but keeping up in IT is becoming harder and harder, especially if you're like me and enjoy having in-depth knowledge in a lot of areas. The days of being a (good) jack-of-all-trades in systems/programming are long gone. IPv6 also scares me. After being in EE for a number of years, hex, binary and BCD don't really bother me, but for some reason, a really long string of colon delimited hex looks a lot more intimidating than four octets....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
...hex, binary and BCD don't really bother me, but for some reason, a really long string of colon delimited hex looks a lot more intimidating than four octets....
I know all about those binding hexes and am also really bothered when my colon gets delimited, too.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac

This is not the reason for the 180, but keeping up in IT is becoming harder and harder, especially if you're like me and enjoy having in-depth knowledge in a lot of areas. The days of being a (good) jack-of-all-trades in systems/programming are long gone. IPv6 also scares me. After being in EE for a number of years, hex, binary and BCD don't really bother me, but for some reason, a really long string of colon delimited hex looks a lot more intimidating than four octets....
IPv6
hex, binary and BCD
a really long string of colon delimited hex looks a lot more intimidating than four octets

Old 01-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You know that a significant minority of surgery is performed by robotic systems?* I'm not talking liposuction but prostatectotomies and bypasses.* Business Week ran an article on the trend around March 05 so it's going mainstream.

In a few years there's gonna be a crying need for doctors that know how to kick-start cope with computer systems.
Oh great - depending on MS windows, and now the "blue screen of death" takes on an even more somber meaning.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You know that a significant minority of surgery is performed by robotic systems?* I'm not talking liposuction but prostatectotomies and bypasses.*
Not quite the totally automatic process you make it sound like... from the article

Quote:
In such procedures, the surgeon's hands never enter the patient. After the initial incisions are made, robotic arms wielding a tiny camera and surgical tools make the snips, stanch the blood flow, and sew up inside when all is done. The surgeon sits at a console -- usually in the operating room, although the technology would allow a doctor to operate on a patient on the other side of the world -- peering into binocular-like lenses at views provided by the camera inside the patient. The doctor guides the robot's work by twisting his wrists in stirrup-like handles, moving his thumb and forefinger in scissor-like loops, or tapping foot pedals to focus the camera or move a robotic arm.
I googled and found this photo

Edit- HMOs will love this...now your entire medical team can be in India... from x-ray and MRI analysis, generic drug manufacturing, and now even the surgeons themselves. Awesome. :P
Old 01-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #26

Quote:
In such procedures, the surgeon's hands never enter the patient.
So who do you sue the doctor or the computer??
Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
So who do you sue the doctor or the computer??
When in doubt, name them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick
Oh great - depending on MS windows, and now the "blue screen of death" takes on an even more somber meaning.
We had the "blue screen of death" experience when we were in the doctor's office to have the ultrasound done prior to the birth of our daughter. Everything is going smoothly, the procedure is over, and as soon as the ultrasound technician goes to save the image/video file that she had recorded, boom - the system crashes, and nothing was written to the hard drive (the computer was running MS Windows, FYI). She had to do a hard reboot and then redo the whole procedure. We sort of laughed it off, but I'm much more aware of the "what if's" of a computer crash during some sort of sensitive medical procedure.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #28

Career1 - MA in education - high school teacher. 1 year

Career2 - factory worker - worked through the ranks to Service Manager then Production Manager - 10 years

Career3 - mechanic - worked part time with good pay for 10 years

Career4 - went to trade school to become a computer programmer - worked through the ranks to System Programmer for IBM mainframes.* ER'ed as we phased out the mainframe to PeeCees after 18 years.

Do what you want to do - do a good job at it, the rest should follow.*