Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #21

The cook the thief his wife and her lover, is the name Ally. And yes it sucked.
Other "hated-it's" of mine:
Reservoir Dogs
Crash (so bad I'm still mad)
No Country for Old Men (horrible senseless pointless depressing-why would anyone want to watch something so ugly?)
Ad some stupid vampire movie with George Clooney whose name escapes me.
I think I am most appalled by senseless violence in movies. I worry about a society that popularizes this kind of thing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #22

Only saw three on the list
Beowulf - It was OK
Pirates of the Caribbean - Also OK, mindless entertainment
The Exorcist - One of the few horror movies I have seen because it was shot at my Alma Mater.

Like anything, it is totally subjective. Maybe the people who put out all these unknown movies are pushing the list to get people to watch them.

And for Kubrick, I avoided Clockwork Orange but liked Dr. Strangelove, 2001 and Paths of Glory.

Ditto Sarah's comments on violence. I tend to avoid overly violent movies.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Oh please.

Apparently none of you have ever been submerged for 90 days in the North Atlantic, or on station somewhere in the Western Pacific, with the "best" that the Navy Motion Picture Service can dredge up from the bottom of the barrel.

It must've been a really deep barrel. We're talking films that barely made it out of the studios, let alone into the movie theaters.

I'll start with "I Spit On Your Grave" Do not look this one up on IMDB-- it's violent and misogynistic and will give you nightmares. (Even if you're a submariner.) It's considered one of the most senselessly bloody movies of all time.

Next is "Faster, Pussycat! Kill, Kill!" It was made in 1965 but was still floating around the inventory in 1985.

Then there's "Revenge of the Ninja". It contained some eye candy but it essentially set back this martial art all the way to the Middle Ages.

Finally I remember "Eyes of a Stranger" with Lauren Tewes of "Love Boat" fame. She was being stalked by a creepy neighbor who bore an unfortunate resemblance to one of our crewmembers.

We even had a three-reel five-finger gagger that was made up entirely of 30-minute television pilots which were never picked up for television. "Not quite ready for prime time". Not even close.

Keep in mind that in those days we had 90 movies on board for at least 90 days before we could make a swap. Every one of them was watched at least once, but you didn't exactly load out with the last decade of Oscar winners. This was a crowd that would watch "Repo Man" three times a week.

I'm going to take this topic to the "Cold War Submarine Veterans" Facebook Group. I bet some of those guys have had their hacker cards punched a lot more times than I have.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only movie we ever walked out on was " Lost in Translation ". Awful !
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I love Pulp Fiction.
Quite a few critically acclaimed movies in these garbage bins.

I rarely go to movies now without reading a few reviews so I can know what to expect. Extreme violence is about all that turns me off. That and boredom. Cartoon movies have to be very good to get interst from me, but I will sometimes go to please my girlfriend. I figure if I don't do it, somebody else will.

Ha
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The only movie we ever walked out on was " Lost in Translation ". Awful !
"Lost in Translation" was one of 3 bombs I saw in 2003. The other two were "My Boss's Daughter" and "Thirteen," the latter my ladyfriend at the time and I walked out near the end.

But the movie I hated the most was "Tarzan, the Ape Man," starring Bo Derek (1981). It was so bad that during the slow-motion snake wrestling scene someone in the audience yelled out, "When is this going to be over?!" LOL, that (the audience member yelling, not the snake-wrestling scene) was the best part of that awful movie.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would have to say, "The Pledge" with Jack Nicholson. Horrible movie, would have walked out if it wasn't a family outing. Now we all blame each other as to who picked that gem.

My wife and I almost walked out of "Kill Bill vol 1" due to the excessive violence.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I walked out at the end of Braveheart and stayed in the lobby. I couldn't stand being in there when I realized they would be so cruel.

The other one I walked out early on was something like The Cook, the Thief, the lover etc. Ugh, didn't like it at all! My husband walked out shortly after I did. If it hadn't been the dollar show, we would have asked for a refund. I left when I saw worms all over the food in the kitchen, being served at a fancy restaurant. I understand later in the film that they cooked a person.
I watched The Cook.....on Netflix. I did finish it, why I don't know. I was searching for Helen Mirren movies. Boy she really has made some weird movies. Totally bad movie.

My girlfriend and I really did walk out of Last Tango in Paris many many years ago. It was just too much for our young 23 year old eyes.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #29

I've seen most of those films, liked some of them and think a couple were really well made. Just shows we all look for different things in films. I agree with Nords that really bad movies are an entirely different category.

My daughter spent a semester studying in Florence and one of the students in the program was Peter Weller, aka Robocop. She had a few stories to tell about him. On the first day when they were all getting to know each other he introduced himself and promptly announced he didn't want to be called Robocop - so of course, the rest of the group called him nothing else for the entire semester.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I liked a lot of the OP's Comcast selection. I almost walked out in boredom from Priest of Love about DH Lawrence.

Was dragged along with DW and her sister to see Walk in the Clouds at the Jersey Shore and practically snored through it. When the lights came up I looked around at the crowded theater and locked eyes with the only other man in the place. We both looked around again, came back to each other and burst out laughing.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've seen most of those films, liked some of them and think a couple were really well made. Just shows we all look for different things in films. I agree with Nords that really bad movies are an entirely different category....
True, most of those film were well and carefully made and many had great critical acclaim--they're not really bad movies, they're good movies a lot of people don't like. I like the Seinfeld riff on English Patient.

Really bad movies that we actually saw include Cabin Boy.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Ditto Sarah's comments on violence. I tend to avoid overly violent movies.
+2. I will not go to a horror/fright flick normally. The only two exceptions were probably Silence of the Lambs and The Exorcist as they seemed "mainstream." I've never seen Freddie, Chainsaw, Last House and that genre. I did finally see some of Carrie on TV about 20 years after it aired, not sure why I watched other than free on TV...

I don't want to watch anyone or anything suffer as entertainment, don't get that at all...to each his own. I have a SIL who just loves "scary movies" - can't be too gory for her.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Another Clockwork Orange hater here. I was also taken to it on a date. He didn't like it either. Big mistake.
Stange two people saw this on a date. So not a "date movie".
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Stange two people saw this on a date. So not a "date movie".
Don't disagree, but many may have been like me, before readily available reviews on the internet. The only Kubrick I was familiar with was 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I considered wonderful. When Clockwork Orange came out, I assumed it would be great due to 2001. Couldn't have been more wrong - I made it about 20 minutes in both times, many years apart, I tried to watch it on free TV. Was totally repulsed...but I realize there was a considerable audience who evidently like it. YMMV

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #35

Clockwork Orange a date movie? Even in my wilder years I wouldn't think of it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

The "Saw" movies were really bad imo. Although when Dr. Phil cut off the wrong foot...I laughed pretty hard. My teenage son insisted we see them.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #37

I always assumed people had some idea or basic awareness of a film's plot before choosing to see it at the cinema, but the comments on this thread show I am wrong.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I always assumed people had some idea or basic awareness of a film's plot before choosing to see it at the cinema, but the comments on this thread show I am wrong.
We certainly do today, but 20-40 years ago when some of these movies premiered, we didn't. Clockwork Orange was 1971, I was 17 years old then! Thanks for reminding me how old I am...

And it used to be a movie was a cheap date, so we just picked whatever looked best for that day sometimes based on little info (stars, directors, basic plot). The date was the point, more than the movie.

As expensive as movies are today (or as cheap as I've become), we carefully research beforehand mostly using Movies | Movie Trailers | Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes. Right or wrong, if a movie does poorly on that site, we won't go no matter what anyone else tells us - we'll just wait for it to run on TV.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

OK, I will put out two stinker... but can not remember their names... maybe someone will (or I will have to look them up)...

Both are Sci-fi... the first is one where at the end the guy is riding a worm... it was a big budget film, but they ran out of money and the scene was out of the 50s where they had the guy in front of a video... really bad...

The second was the John Travolta move he did based on the Hubbard book.... really bad...

Now, these are not the two worst movies I have ever seen... there were some real stinkers that I saw on DVD... but these two I saw in the theater....

By the way.... I think my BIL had the worst movie ever on DVD.... Attack of the Killer Tomatoes....

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK, I will put out two stinker... but can not remember their names... maybe someone will (or I will have to look them up)...

Both are Sci-fi... the first is one where at the end the guy is riding a worm... it was a big budget film, but they ran out of money and the scene was out of the 50s where they had the guy in front of a video... really bad...

The second was the John Travolta move he did based on the Hubbard book.... really bad...

Now, these are not the two worst movies I have ever seen... there were some real stinkers that I saw on DVD... but these two I saw in the theater....

By the way.... I think my BIL had the worst movie ever on DVD.... Attack of the Killer Tomatoes....

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Battlefield Earth & Dune.