Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brewer12345,

I agree, Elmer Keith had some great ideas. Technology today is better too.

MRG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All summer long... 2 to 4 days at a time, when I'm at the lake...
Don't miss it, but make up for it when I'm at home.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a few weeks ago, I went hunting for six days in northwest Ontario. No electricity, no cell, no nothing (we did have a device that could summon help by satellite in an emergency). Float plane in and out. No running water after the first day because it froze, so no showers. It was glorious.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

24... a piece of cake. Oh, I thought you said 24 minutes without the interent.

Seriously, the last time when I was out of town and didn't bring my laptop (remember those things?). I found the time away relaxing.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #25

September when I was on the Hi-Line in Montana. They didn't even have cell phone service. We were 110 miles from the nearest Starbucks.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #26

Several times this year, including 3 trips with no access for 7 or 8 days.

We survived, just.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Oh about a month ago for me. Went to the gulf coast for a few days and wasn't connected. Didn't really miss it either.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #28

Of course during one of our week long blackouts a fraudster ran up $23k worth of charges on our credit card. It was quite a shock when I logged on to check balances
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Smart phone signals work as bear repellent?
Don't think so, a couple bears were spotted several campsites away. But our dog was the most worried
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #30

June 24, 2012 no email, internet or electricity
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #31

I live in a place where people are so connection addicted they go to dinner with you and place their cell on the table. God forbid they miss a text.

If they receive a text or a call, they will answer it, because it would be so wrong to just let it go to voicemail. If something comes up in conversation that can be looked up on the internet, they won't wait. They will do it. Right then and there. Seriously.

Once saw a couple out to dinner in a sushi restaurant, both heads down, doing a his and her checking-the-cell kind of thing simultaneously.

I'm sure you might understand why I'm looking forward to leaving here. Lost Angeles is insanity to the tenth power.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I live in a place where people are so connection addicted they go to dinner with you and place their cell on the table. God forbid they miss a text.

If they receive a text or a call, they will answer it, because it would be so wrong to just let it go to voicemail. If something comes up in conversation that can be looked up on the internet, they won't wait. They will do it. Right then and there. Seriously.

Once saw a couple out to dinner in a sushi restaurant, both heads down, doing a his and her checking-the-cell kind of thing simultaneously.

I'm sure you might understand why I'm looking forward to leaving here. Lost Angeles is insanity to the tenth power.
It isn't just LA, and it isn't just Sushi restaruants. It's all over the place.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #33

Wait, we always put our phones on the table at dinner. Everyone does that. And this is def not LA!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wait, we always put our phones on the table at dinner. Everyone does that. And this is def not LA!
Same in Chicagoland and Phoenix. Went to a pub to watch a game last month and the phones were lined up on the bar next to the patrons drinks
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am pretty sure that I have not gone 24 hours during this century... I have been carrying a cellphone/blackberry for work since the late '90s and have had it with me on every vacation.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #36

Quote:

That's pretty common around here. DW and I often wonder if they are texting each other.

Last time we went without electronics for an extended period was hurricane Wilma in '05. Close to three weeks. I lost my hard drive and the backup (separate causes, one in a hundred million odds). DD was getting married. Such memories.

We've had multiple issues with Comcast that resulted in no phone or computer for weeks at a time over the past couple of years. Never resolved by them, we dealt with this by getting the iPad and better cell plans.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #37

Just last week, I was without internet or email for 4 days. I was out of town and there was no internet access where I stayed. When I was back on-line, it was a similar experience I had when coming back from vacation when I w*rked - no emergencies and somehow the world managed to stay afloat without my help!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Same in Chicagoland and Phoenix. Went to a pub to watch a game last month and the phones were lined up on the bar next to the patrons drinks
After spending any amount of time with millennials, you'd consider this completely normal.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #39

Quote:
It would be even more pathetic if they were texting each other....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I call cell phones the new cigarettes--something to handle, to kill time with, to look cool with (in the eyes of the users), to invest in (Apple vs Philip Morris). Someone should turn the old tobacco barns into cell phone manufacturing centers. Maybe there is even an app "patch" to download to use to wean one from the addiction.