$76,600 to build a garage?!?

I think I'm beginning to see the problem.

Sounds like you're being taken advantage of by living in the greater metropolitan area.

That has to be it. Everything is so shockingly expensive in the DC suburbs in comparison with New Orleans. When I was w*rking, I had to travel to our HQ there often. I was appalled at how much the simplest things cost there.

I did some skillful dodging to keep from being picked up by our HQ in that area. Even with a promotion, I would always have been pressed for money there IMO. I could never have been able to buy and quickly pay off a house there, as I did here.

Or, get a quote from a builder in a rural area. If they are reluctant to bid a job as far away as you are, let them know right up front that you know they'll be on the road for 2 hours extra per day, and that you expect that to be included in the bid.

Heck, you could afford to put 4 workers up in a hotel for the whole time and you'd be money ahead.

Two things you already know:
- Office workers in DC think nothing of driving over an hour to work each day, the concept probably won't be alien to tradesmen in VA.
- Metro DC is one of the few areas that has suffered very little increase in unemployment (go figure), so construction crews are probably still as busy as ever. You might get better prices and responsiveness from tradesmen out in the sticks.

Or, get a quote from a builder in a rural area.

We did. Two companies - one near Lancaster, PA and one in Luray, VA. They'll build a modular garage, truck it in and set it up for $21K. We think we can get the foundation work done for about $5K. We now know having a local builder do on-site construction is way crazy too expensive. What's the story about people in the construction business needing work in this economic downturn:confused:

Stay tuned. DH needs his man cave in the worst possible way. If there's a way to get it done within a reasonable budget, we're all over it.

;)

Purron,
How have the bids turned out for the foundation? Some random thoughts:
- It'll be getting cold shortly, and the concrete won't set up as strong if it's freezing when/shortly after they pour. Yes, they can put chemicals into it to accelerate the curing, but this adds a little cost and some of the chemicals can accelerate corrosion of rebar, wire, and other metals in the job.
- Be sure to specify that you want air-entrained concrete. This greatly reduces freeze-thaw cracking. In many places this is standard, but I'm not sure about DC. It adds very little to the cost and is very much worth it.
- Rebar: Whether required by code or not, you want to include rebar in the footers under your foundation. Again, it costs very little, but if/when the foundation cracks the rebar will help hold everything together so that your walls and other supported structure stay put.
- Wire mesh in the slab: many contractors don't want to put this in for a garage slab, and it may be overkill. I had it put in so that any cracks that develop stay small. Concrete with anti-crack fiber is fine, but it is only meant to reduce small cracks and will not hold a slab together.
- See my previous nagging about radon control.
- Under the slab: Don't let them use gravel, even if it is permitted by local code. The gravel stones are rounded and easy to rake around, which is why some contractors like it. Because they are rounded, they don't "lock together" as effectively and so your slab won't be supported as well. Go with "chips and dust" or whatever goes by a similar name in your neck of the woods.
- Slope: Everything should drain out the large garage door. Floor drains are good in theory, but not as nice in practice.
- Also specify inclusion of a vapor and moisture barrier directly under the concrete. 6 mil plastic is fine.
- Apron: It's nice to have a place outside the garage to drag out your tools and do some work when the weather is nice. Concrete is nicer than asphalt in many ways for this (smoother, not materially affected by gasoline and oil, etc), so if you are going to have an asphalt driveway, consider adding 6-10 feet of concrete apron leading to the garage.
- Specifically mention all the underground services that must be put in before the pour and where you want the lines to terminate. Electricity, phone line, water, natural gas, data cable, empty conduit for future use, etc. They'll already have the backhoe on site to dig the foundation, so this is the time to get the other stuff done.
- Block vs concrete foundation: I think concrete is less likely to crack, but a well laid block foundation, properly reinforced, can be fine.

I'm sure H-Town Harry and other CE types will weigh in with corrections and better ideas.

Purron,
How have the bids turned out for the foundation? Some random thoughts:
- It'll be getting cold shortly, and the concrete won't set up as strong if it's freezing when/shortly after they pour. Yes, they can put chemicals into it to accelerate the curing, but this adds a little cost and some of the chemicals can accelerate corrosion of rebar, wire, and other metals in the job.
- Be sure to specify that you want air-entrained concrete. This greatly reduces freeze-thaw cracking. In many places this is standard, but I'm not sure about DC. It adds very little to the cost and is very much worth it.
- Rebar: Whether required by code or not, you want to include rebar in the footers under your foundation. Again, it costs very little, but if/when the foundation cracks the rebar will help hold everything together so that your walls and other supported structure stay put.
- Wire mesh in the slab: many contractors don't want to put this in for a garage slab, and it may be overkill. I had it put in so that any cracks that develop stay small. Concrete with anti-crack fiber is fine, but it is only meant to reduce small cracks and will not hold a slab together.
- See my previous nagging about radon control.
- Under the slab: Don't let them use gravel, even if it is permitted by local code. The gravel stones are rounded and easy to rake around, which is why some contractors like it. Because they are rounded, they don't "lock together" as effectively and so your slab won't be supported as well. Go with "chips and dust" or whatever goes by a similar name in your neck of the woods.
- Slope: Everything should drain out the large garage door. Floor drains are good in theory, but not as nice in practice.
- Also specify inclusion of a vapor and moisture barrier directly under the concrete. 6 mil plastic is fine.
- Apron: It's nice to have a place outside the garage to drag out your tools and do some work when the weather is nice. Concrete is nicer than asphalt in many ways for this (smoother, not materially affected by gasoline and oil, etc), so if you are going to have an asphalt driveway, consider adding 6-10 feet of concrete apron leading to the garage.
- Specifically mention all the underground services that must be put in before the pour and where you want the lines to terminate. Electricity, phone line, water, natural gas, data cable, empty conduit for future use, etc. They'll already have the backhoe on site to dig the foundation, so this is the time to get the other stuff done.
- Block vs concrete foundation: I think concrete is less likely to crack, but a well laid block foundation, properly reinforced, can be fine.

I'm sure H-Town Harry and other CE types will weigh in with corrections and better ideas.

Interesting post... I can barely remember the slab that my dad had poured back in the early 60s for a garage that we built... (I was maybe 5, so my memory of how much work I did probably is a lot different than what my dad would have remembered :flowers: now that I have a 6 YO girl that wants to help all the time... and everything takes longer with her help.. :angel:)

But.... I do remember him having rebar, having the edge with a footing (I think it was 12 inches) and the slab 5 (maybe 6) inches thick with some kind of chemical to make it cure better... to this day, there are no cracks in the slab... the driveway that did not have these extras is all cracked do to a large oak tree that is right next to it... the house that was built before we got there has three major cracks... (it is on gumbo which expands/contracts a lot)....

From the few folks who we had talked to, they think it is the only slab in the neighborhood that has not cracked....

Purron,
How have the bids turned out for the foundation?

Still working on the bids. We may put off the project due to cold weather. Thanks for all your tips and advice. Some of this we've heard, but much was news to me.

BTW, we took a trip up to PA to see the factory where the modular garages are built. We were very impressed with the quality and workmanship.

Here are a few pics of sample buildings and the factory where they're constructed.

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010206.JPG
    P1010206.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010190.JPG
    P1010190.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010194.JPG
    P1010194.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 1
More pics....

Attachments

• P1010195.JPG
    P1010195.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010198.JPG
    P1010198.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010208.JPG
    P1010208.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010247.JPG
    P1010247.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010215.JPG
    P1010215.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 2
And a few more...plus a bonus pic of an Amish buggy going by - taken from upstairs in one of the garages we were viewing.

Attachments

• P1010209.JPG
    P1010209.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010224.JPG
    P1010224.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010226.JPG
    P1010226.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010222.JPG
    P1010222.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 1
BTW, we took a trip up to PA to see the factory where the modular garages are built. We were very impressed with the quality and workmanship.

Here are a few pics of sample buildings and the factory where they're constructed.
Those structures look very nice. The plywood wall sheathing is a step up from the OSB used by most contractors (though the PA guys appear to use OSB for the roof decking, which is standard.)

Building things in a factory and on jigs makes it easier to get everything straight and tight. Dry, good light, it's got a lot going for it.

If you plan on heating/cooling this place, you might want to check on how much it would cost to add 1" of EPS rigid foam outside of the sheathing (under your housewrap and whatever you put on the outside of the walls). Though it only technically adds about R-4 of insulation, by eliminating the thermal bridging through the wood studs it can make a significant contribution to thermal efficiency.

Best of luck!

for what it's worth, the materials alone for a POLE structure that size are about $8k as a package from carter lumber or menards.

I am looking at building a POLE structure, 24x40 with a slab and we're coming in around 30k with me doing minimal work. if you must pour a foundation, i dont see 5-10k more worth of work, if that

Finally got the permit approved. It *only* took 5 months.

DH is now working on getting the concrete foundation installed. It will then take about 2 weeks for his modular garage to be built and trucked down here.

The garage he's ordering will look a lot like this. 24 x 28' He's excited!

Attachments

• garage_2-car_24x28_444_lg.jpg
    garage_2-car_24x28_444_lg.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
And the final cost is:confused:

As an FYI, my boss had two built on his ranch... costs were about $25K each..

$30K for the garage including lots of extras such as an electrical system, garage door openers and custom siding to match the house. Still finalizing the foundation which will be expensive due to problem soils - expect that to be about $10K.

Finally got the permit approved. It *only* took 5 months.

DH is now working on getting the concrete foundation installed. It will then take about 2 weeks for his modular garage to be build and trucked down here.

The garage he's ordering will look a lot like this. 24 x 28' He's excited!

Beautiful garage! What will you do with the second story? Storage? a rental unit? $30K sounds very reasonable for a structure that large in your part of thecountry.

Beautiful garage! What will you do with the second story? Storage? a rental unit? $30K sounds very reasonable for a structure that large in your part of thecountry.

The whole garage is pretty much going to be the "man cave";) DH wants to set up his ham shack up there and have room for all his projects. Fine with me. He deserves his space after workin' for the man for nearly 34 years.

The whole garage is pretty much going to be the "man cave";) DH wants to set up his ham shack up there and have room for all his projects. Fine with me. He deserves his space after workin' for the man for nearly 34 years.

What a great place for his ham shack! Good planning. :D And yes, it sounds like he very definitely deserves it. :) Frank has thought about building a ham shack from time to time, but right now since he lives alone he has settled on using his whole house as his ham shack, so to speak, instead. Ham heaven. :)

Last edited:
Beautiful building, and sounds like a good price too. Will there be upstairs plumbing? ;^>

Amethyst

Lucky hubby. And nice garage too!

Beautiful building, and sounds like a good price too. Will there be upstairs plumbing? ;^>

Amethyst

No plans. Would be expensive plus he'd never come back into the main house;)

That garage is beautiful, I wish I had the land to build something like that. Where I live the land alone including driveway would be worth $76,600

Back
Top Bottom