A night out to Dinner...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
5:30PM- DW, DD, future SIL and I leave to go out for dinner with a couple we are good friends with. The restaurant is roughly 25 minutes away - BYOB, very good food, a bit pricy at $80 a couple -it was essentially our New Years celebration. My son Connor (aka ‘Cool Hand’) didn’t want to lose 2 hours precious, college winter break, gaming time and decided to stay home. I am fine with this because he can keep the ‘old pooch’ company. Left alone when its dark out she will get into mischief every time.

15 minutes into our trip, it is now dark out and DW’s phone rings and its ‘Cool Hand’ he’s a bit shaken. Here’s what I can glean what happened (through interview and security camera videos)- the dog started barking and carrying on in a big way. So much so that she threw up - very unusual. Connor took off the head phones (unknown how long that took) and peaked out. Man standing at front door. Connor bangs on door and yells through door “what do you want” no answer. Assume at this point he grabs my shotgun. Connor yells “I’ve got a shotgun ..who is this” answer: ”Frank” None of us have a Frank in our lives. The individual leaves. Ok before you think or say it as long as the individual stays on the other side of the door there will be no gun violence- Cool Hand learned it from me. We are peaceful people.

At 64, right or wrong my answer is call the police. I am thinking about my next door neighbor was burglarized out a few years ago about this time off the year and the occasional home invasions we have locally. Keep in mind I am driving. the Mrs is fuddling with her phone to replay the security cameras.. I am repeating “call the police”. She is insistent on looking at the security camera’s. Eventually DD calls the police and discovered ‘Cool Hand’ has already called. The man is long gone.

The facts from the cameras the view is (from above)are a bit inconclusive. What we do know...
He didn’t walk up the Driveway- so he came accross the lawn
He didn’t have anything in his hands
He seems to be doing something at the front door.. ringing the bell, trying the door. I dont know?
Baseball cap on doesn’t look up.
His truck is idling at the curb:confused:

When we arrive at home notice, not 200 yard away our neighbor, the Pastor, has a few cars parked infront of his house.

I am perplexed - why not state your business?

A scary deal, glad all worked out.

Wow, yeah, I'd want to know if it was just a neighbor's visitor at the wrong house, or a burglar looking for a target. Especially now that he knows there are guns to steal in the house.

Frightening! Yes, calling the police seems prudent. Did you ask your neighbor if a "Frank" was at his party? Still, not answering gives you a good clue--he was not up to any good.

If that ever happens again, a better message would be “I have the police on the line — what’s the problem.”

Braumeister,
Your right ... that’s why I posted it- share the experience and gather good ideas -I’ll instruct Connor.
Many thanks
Ray.

"Dave's not here..."

"Dave's not here..."

Hahaha. How many times have I laughed to that?

Happens sometimes too. I went to a buddy's house one evening and some drunk gal answers the door. She's a little odd, besides drunk. Tells me "I don't belong here". I'm looking around for my buddy, thinking she'd killed him and was cooking him in the oven. He finally comes out of his room and all is well.

Wow, kind of scary. Nice to have a dog that alerts you like that. Poor doggy for getting sick!

I don't have a gun and I would be afraid to use one, but the way this guy acted is very, very suspicious. Maybe he saw you two leave and he thought nobody was home.

How was the dinner? (Can't lose sight of the important things in life)

Stuffed shrimp awesome...

ummmm....you didn't turn right around and check on....(The dog) Luke?

Our Ring doorbell just went off twice. We are out of town. One was a woman that was having trouble with our lockbox. I texted Mrs Scrapr and asked her who was there. It was our old neighbor.

Then our present neighbor came over with a drink in his hand, rang the doorbell and waved his drink at the camera & went back home. We have the best neighbors

Wow, kind of scary. Nice to have a dog that alerts you like that. Poor doggy for getting sick!

I don't have a gun and I would be afraid to use one, but the way this guy acted is very, very suspicious. Maybe he saw you two leave and he thought nobody was home.

A very scary situation and your son handled it very well, I must say.

I agree with the above - the guy was very likely up to no good and probably would have broken in if no one answered the door.

Very glad your son and pooch are both ok!

Stuffed shrimp awesome...
Wow, this phone call would have totally ruined my dinner, because that's all I would have thought about during the dinner!! Well, that's great you could relax and enjoy the dinner!

If cool hand would rather play video games instead of enjoying a nice dinner of baked stuffed shrimp there's something wrong with the boy me thinks.

As an Aussie, have to query, how do you stuff a shrimp? The dang things are so small you'd need a tiny crochet-hook to stuff anything in 'em, hardly worth the effort! :cool:

Hmm, still waiting for a response to this burning question. I'm guessing it was a filet of sole or halibut rolled & stuffed with a filling of tiny or chopped shrimp.

It sounds like a NYE drunk looking for GF that dumped him...

As an Aussie, have to query, how do you stuff a shrimp? The dang things are so small you'd need a tiny crochet-hook to stuff anything in 'em, hardly worth the effort! :cool:

Google it.. they aren’t really stuffed. A tasty breadcrum crabmeat is piled on top and it is baked... it was terrific.

Glad everything turned out okay. New Years Eve can be a popular time for attempted break-ins, as burglars look at the odds of people being out for celebrations and not returning until early in the morning.

But it can also be a time of wandering, lost drunks. Many years ago we returned home to find a young woman sleeping on our porch, drunk and having wandered off from the party the neighbors kids were having.

Back
Top Bottom