AARP, AMAC, neither, both, other?

ArkTinkerer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Either of these organizations worth joining? One better than the other? Join both? Alternatives?

I admit I'm against AARP for their political leanings but they are the default org to join for retirees and have great discounts arranged. Curious what others here have done.

I've found that I can get an AARP discount just by asking, regardless of whether I'm a member or not. Ditto with AAA.

I've found that I can get an AARP discount just by asking, regardless of whether I'm a member or not. Ditto with AAA.

+1

I see no need to join either. We have auto road service on our insurance and through an RV organization. The discounts are generally available for the asking.

I see no need to join either.

Me too. I just don't see any value in paying to join something just to get discounts. (OK, maybe Costco counts as this, but not really).

They also sell insurance. Well, lots of companies sell insurance. I shop around.

They also do a lot of lobbying. I disagree with enough of their positions that I don't really want to pay to support that.

Anything else of value? Oh, right, a magazine. No thanks.

I never got "the mail" from AARP. And I don't care. I could give stories about my parents, but it would be too long here.

I realized why I never got a solicitation from them -- I'm on the Direct Marketing Association's "no mail" list. To AARP's credit, they honored it.

I'm not old enough to get their mailings but my mother does. I can't believe how much mail she gets from them weekly. One week she had cards mailed to her that she didn't request and the next week got a mailing that said she must have forgotten to apply.
JoeWras, What's the "Direct Marketing Association's "no mail" list."? Is it something I can get my mother on?

I'm not old enough to get their mailings but my mother does. I can't believe how much mail she gets from them weekly. One week she had cards mailed to her that she didn't request and the next week got a mailing that said she must have forgotten to apply.
JoeWras, What's the "Direct Marketing Association's "no mail" list."? Is it something I can get my mother on?

It was either Clark Howard, or the US Govt. who pointed me here when I was freezing my Dad's credit.

https://www.dmachoice.org/

If you read on the internet, you'll find some people afraid it is a scam. I understand their concern. One person said they require a SSN. Not true -- that person must have been on a scam site.

All I had to enter was my name, address and email. Nothing more. Most of this is already readily associated elsewhere, so I didn't have too much fear. They do require you to create an account. Make sure to choose a different password than anything else you use elsewhere. This is true of ANY site these days. (NEVER use the same password!)

That's just safety. As I mentioned, I had no problem with the site. I saw a reduction of mailings by about 75%. What is funny is DW gets annoyed with me because she's getting all this "old people's mail" that I don't get. Stuff like requests to buy tickets to the ballet or symphony. The other biggie for her is real estate ads for mountain or beach property.

I get none of it. It actually worked for me. DW doesn't want to sign up. Oh well.

AARP member, because I have AARP medigap Insurance.
Heard people do not like there politics. (I have no interest)
15% discount at Denny's, (24/7), is pretty good.

Also, have AAA insurance on house, car, etc.

Usually when I go anywhere, I just ask: Any discounts, AAA, AARP, Senior discount. Discovered, if you do not ask, they will not tell you. :greetings10:

I have both AAA and AARP.

I think AAA discounts for hotels seem a bit better than AARP.

I'm not a conscientious objector about AARP as I see my membership as an investment and not some kind of statement. :)

The aarp 5% discount on consumer cellular more than pays for the membership that I don't use for anything else at the moment. If you don't want the latest phone, I highly recommend consumer cellular by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The aarp 5% discount on consumer cellular more than pays for the membership that I don't use for anything else at the moment. If you don't want the latest phone, I highly recommend consumer cellular by itself.
FYI, Republic Wireless have unlimited talk and text for $10/month (plus 2 or $3 for taxes and fees). 3G data is $25/mo and 4G is $45/mo.

Even if you just have the unlimited talk and text for $10/month you can still use data when you have a wifi signal. No AARP needed, though you do have to buy the phone. Phones start at $99.

Last edited:
Tried AARP and never got any value out of it. Sometimes they lobby in favor of something I like, but just as often they lobby on the opposite side of what I want. Meanwhile, they seem to be the worlds most powerful junk mail machine. I still get solicitations from them very often, both to rejoin and for all manner of products they "endorse" for their members, or maybe they just spread their mailing list far and wide.

They also do a lot of lobbying. I disagree with enough of their positions that I don't really want to pay to support that.
+1. Doesn't matter what else they might offer, I can't overlook their blatantly self-serving politics even though I'm a "senior." Of course that's the nature of all lobbying...

FYI, Republic Wireless have unlimited talk and text for $10/month (plus 2 or $3 for taxes and fees). 3G data is $25/mo and 4G is $45/mo.

Even if you just have the unlimited talk and text for $10/month you can still use data when you have a wifi signal. No AARP needed, though you do have to buy the phone. Phones start at $99.

Ting works for my family. I'm still covering the kids phones until the graduate from college.

I really like the idea of asking for the AARP or AAA discounts without joining! I'm trying to remember if they sent me those fake cards you often get in the solicitations? Might have to save those to flash the clerks just in case I'm asked!

Back
Top Bottom