Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #21
My own experience is that even though a classical guitar SEEMS easier to play because the pressure on your fingertips is less (nylon strings) the wider neck actually takes more muscle in your hands and forearm. It's a trade off.

Find a guitar that you love, your hands will adjust. I play Larrivee acoustics - they make great instruments. But lots of builders make great instruments.

Consider a smaller body guitar. They fit a womens body a little better, but usually the neck is the same size as a larger guitar. I am not an Ovation fan, although I have played some great sounding Ovations... i find the rounded body rolls off my body when I play and the only comfortable way to play is standing and with a strap.

Follow your ears to the right instrument for you. Play a lot of them before you buy. Only buy the instrument you play, another one of the same model will sound different.

Most importantly, don't pay retail. Guitars under $500.00 can be had for 20% under retail. Guitars between $500 and $1000 can routinely be purchased for 25% under retail. Over $1000 30% or more under retail.

My last teacher told me that tenacity and practice trump talent!
Sadly, it seems to be true...

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!