Granddaughter learning Violin

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
She just facetimes us to play a little on her new violin. I hope she does well at it and sticks with it through the years ahead.

The fiddle and violin are basically the same instrument, but one plays classic and other folk.

Anyone here plays one, or have has a family member play a violin?

My daughter started when she was about 9, stuck with it for less than a year. Glad we only rented the violin instead of buying one!

My daughter started when she was about 9, stuck with it for less than a year. Glad we only rented the violin instead of buying one!

Yes, that can be a problem if they don't stick with it. GD is 6yo. My son said, they just brought him back to life, after she told him what she paid. I didn't ask the price and not sure I want to know. Lol

I'll ask him some time.

Been thinking of picking one up and learning it so I can add to the number of instruments I can play poorly. You can get a fairly inexpensive one on Amazon these days. I listen to a lot of jam-grass music (String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band, Railroad Earth, etc.), and it would be fun to be able to add that to the sound when my friends and I get together to play. But violin is probably the most painful instrument to listen to with a learning player, even worse than clarinet. If I do pick it up I'll probably have to practice out in the garage. I doubt either DW or the dogs would appreciate me playing in the house.

She just facetimes us to play a little on her new violin. I hope she does well at it and sticks with it through the years ahead.

The fiddle and violin are basically the same instrument, but one plays classic and other folk.

My daughter USED to play the violin, and gave up after she went off to college and got overwhelmed with the coursework. She still has her violin at home with us and fiddles with it during the vacations and holidays. I hope she takes up playing again. She plays by ear and is very talented -- so I am very disappointed she has given up serious training. Oh, well. Her life, her choices.

Both of my sons played violin through high school and were very good at it. The oldest still plays for himself, especially now that he owns a home. (violins are a little loud for apartments!)
I've heard that the difference between a violin and a fiddle is that you don't mind spilling a little beer on your fiddle,lol.

I played the violin for several years starting at about 12 yo. But I quit because it “wasn’t cool” and my Dad kinda pushed me into playing. I am sure I benefited in some small way from the experience, and I have loved music all my life.

Both of my sons played violin through high school and were very good at it. The oldest still plays for himself, especially now that he owns a home. (violins are a little loud for apartments!)
I've heard that the difference between a violin and a fiddle is that you don't mind spilling a little beer on your fiddle,lol.

LOL! Now that is funny!!!

Interesting that of the people here that have played or been around a fiddle/violin player.

I have always loved the sound and talent that is takes to play a violin. Thanks

I remember one time Mel Tilus said, when he was a young, he told his dad he was going to make it big in country music. His dad you won't make with your singing but if you get the best fiddle players in the world you will be successful.

He then said, he went out and found two of the best fiddle players in the world and that is why he made a successful career in country music. That always stuck with me.

Nothing like a youngin learning to play an instrument. How old is she?

Yes.... There's a huge different's between the two... One you play from sheet music.... the other you play from your Heart. In reality the difference is in the bridge shape. Fiddles have a flatter bridge for droning, and of course... the bowing style.

I grew up on the Old Tyme Mountian Music... Grandfather had a square dance band. Our Daughter picked up a Violin in grade school, Suzuki program, But wanted to learn to fiddle like she had heard. She still plays on occasion. She actually played a couple songs on stage with me and Grandma...

Maybe you should encourage her to take ballet at the same time:

I have a nephew who plays classic violin and a niece who plays Irish fiddle.

Maybe you should encourage her to take ballet at the same time:

She would love that and I bet she would want to be just like her. I will encourage her with things like that along the way. I am going to ask her at some time to go a concert for grandma and me. She will be all in for doing that. LOL

I have a nephew who plays classic violin and a niece who plays Irish fiddle.

That is awesome!!! I love the music both play.

Last edited:
Nothing like a youngin learning to play an instrument. How old is she?

Yes.... There's a huge different's between the two... One you play from sheet music.... the other you play from your Heart. In reality the difference is in the bridge shape. Fiddles have a flatter bridge for droning, and of course... the bowing style.

I grew up on the Old Tyme Mountian Music... Grandfather had a square dance band. Our Daughter picked up a Violin in grade school, Suzuki program, But wanted to learn to fiddle like she had heard. She still plays on occasion. She actually played a couple songs on stage with me and Grandma...

I played some guitar, but I struggled with it because I'm missing just about all of one finger and have most of one other finger, on my left hand missing. I really think i could have been a rock star living high on the hog if not for those missing fingers. Lol

It was an accident of the two fingers at two years old.

Linsey was awesome in concert, and our Grandson loved her at 9....
To be a performer is another whole game i would say you have it or you don't.
I guess as soon as she got up this morning she was playing.

That is awesome!!! I love the music both play.

So do I :) My niece spent a year in Ireland as an Au Pair and in her free time learned to play in the pubs, which she still does here. My nephew is a PhD pharma researcher and plays with a string quartet. For both it’s hobby, not side gig.

So do I :) My niece spent a year in Ireland as an Au Pair and in her free time learned to play in the pubs, which she still does here. My nephew is a PhD pharma researcher and plays with a string quartet. For both it’s hobby, not side gig.

That is so awesome!! I wish I was younger and had all my fingers because the fiddle was always very intriguing to me.

I played some guitar, but I struggled with it because I'm missing just about all of one finger and have most of one other finger, on my left hand missing. I really think i could have been a rock star living high on the hog if not for those missing fingers. Lol

It was an accident of the two fingers at two years old.

Jerry Garcia was missing most of a finger, and he was a great guitarist. You should have stuck with it. Of course, you'd probably be dead by now.

Jerry Garcia was missing most of a finger, and he was a great guitarist. You should have stuck with it. Of course, you'd probably be dead by now.

Yes (about Jerry Garcia, not being dead!). He was also a great banjo player. YouTube has several tunes by Old And In The Way, excellent bluegrass playing and singing (fiddle too!).

Back
Top Bottom