Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

That plane looks great! I tried building/flying a gas powered RC plane 20 years ago. I had zero ability to fly the thing - I found it very difficult to manipulate the controls correctly when the plane wasn't flying directly away from me.

Now I wonder if having the auto-land and panic recovery features would be enough for me to be able to learn to actually control the plane... Hmm...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still amazed that I can get a computer with a touchscreen, gps, GB's of storage, 2 cameras, a mic and speakers, long battery life, and wifi and cell antenna and receivers for under $50. And it only weighs a few ounces.

That airplane sounds pretty sweet. I bet all those electronics sit on one or two small circuit boards with mostly integrated components and the circuit board(s) don't cost more than $10-15 when produced in quantity.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #23

Thanks for the reminder, Walt. My last drone mission was in my niece's husband's hangar, doing movie clips of his company fleet. I set the vertical limit to 30' to prevent slamming into the ceiling. I need to change the setting before my next flight.

Another piece of cheap technology - Arduino. Open source electronics platform with easy to use hardware/software to make interactive projects.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just bought one of those $15 CX's. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Why oh why did I take a look at this thread! The last thing I need is another hobby!

_B
Old 06-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8_apex View Post
That plane looks great! I tried building/flying a gas powered RC plane 20 years ago. I had zero ability to fly the thing - I found it very difficult to manipulate the controls correctly when the plane wasn't flying directly away from me.

Now I wonder if having the auto-land and panic recovery features would be enough for me to be able to learn to actually control the plane... Hmm...
This is fairly common I believe. Before the days of computer simulators, a tip my son used to show student pilots was to rotate their body away from the plane (in the direction of the turn) as it was making it's turn. IOW, as the plane started flying back toward the pilot, he would almost be facing away from it and looking back over his shoulder slightly. This gave the sensation of being behind the plane.
Another way to describe this is to keep the transmitter antenna generally pointed in the plane's direction of travel.
An oddity we noticed was that novice pilots had much more difficulty with right hand turns than left hand turns.

"Buddy cords", linking the student's and instructor's transmitters were the safest and most efficient method of learning in those pre simulator days. A flip of a switch sent the controls from student to instructor at the instructor's command.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote