Amazon - $35/free shipping

powerplay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Amazon just raised the minimum purchase amount to receive free shipping to $35.
Amazon raises free shipping minimum to $35 - Oct. 22, 2013

A number of people on here have said they were happy with the Amazon Prime service, but I keep noticing more lower priced items are not included in Prime and are instead labeled as "add on" items. It seems they are chipping away at the features which make them an attractive company to do business with.

Bummer - that will decrease my purchases there. I've found that I can buy almost anything I need on eBay anyway at a lower cost, even with shipping.

Amazon just raised the minimum purchase amount to receive free shipping to $35.
Amazon raises free shipping minimum to $35 - Oct. 22, 2013

A number of people on here have said they were happy with the Amazon Prime service, but I keep noticing more lower priced items are not included in Prime and are instead labeled as "add on" items. It seems they are chipping away at the features which make them an attractive company to do business with.

$35 seems like a lot! Still, I notice that Walmart has a $50 minimum for free 6-9 day shipping, and I assume other online retailers also have high minimums to qualify for free shipping. :( Shipping seems like such a rip-off, sometimes.

I am really glad that I have Amazon Prime, for the shipping. I have noticed that (as you mentioned) "add on" items are becoming more and more frequent, but I am willing to wait until I have enough to add them on for free shipping. Just found another add-on this morning that I plan to purchase when I can add it to an order. Guess I will be "forced" to buy a cool new video game in order to add on the instant decaf packets that I wanted... oh darn... :D

I'm not sure who edit checks their webpages, but here's another example of catching them with a mistake. I've seen a lot of these errors lately. This is an add on item that was free shipping if over $25 before this change. Now it reads if over $35, but down the page, they give details on the add on program being free if you have over $25 in your order.

Amazon.com - Umbra Saddle Small Sink Caddy, Red

I'm sure if you called and complained, they'd still have to honor the $25 on this order.

I started to use Walmart.com recently and found the shipping charges cheap, actually. For example, I ordered a 45 pound kettle bell and the shipping charge was less than $3! So rather than chase "free" at Amazon, I'll probably just drift away from Amazon unless product availability drives me there. But I'll admit to having a hidden wish list of things specifically saved for times when I came in under $25.

Back
Top Bottom