Got faked out on an Amazon order this week.

I didn't know that. Not that it matters much for us, the nearest UPS store is 75 miles from here, Kohl's is probably like 100miles and I have no idea where the nearest Whole Foods is in this part of the world. One of the downsides to living on the outskirts of civilization. :)

Well that wouldn’t be helpful for you but we live in civilization so it’s super convenient. We have 2 UPS stores within 10 minutes, one of which is in the same strip center as our gym so we’re there a couple of times a week. We drive past one of the 2 local Whole Foods stores nearly every day. And there are at least 2 Kohl’s stores within 10 minutes of us.

We subscribe to Prime but I think the “2 day delivery”, which as you pointed out is often longer, is not need based, but convenience, and somewhat habit forming.

Even though we have Prime I’ll often pick the slower delivery in exchange for the $1 digital credit. Then we’ll use that to watch a cheap movie.

I've been easing my need for immediate gratification and been using the pick a shipping day option with Amazon to get the 6% cashback. I know just 1% extra, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

Plus, I don't need getting peppered with deliveries every day. Unless the item is something I really really want. If so, then all bets are off :).

Does 6% back always apply with the "pick a shipping day option? I didn't know that.

I have never paid for prime because I get free shipping if I buy 25. I add something small that I need to the order if I have to reach the 25.
+1. It's exceedingly rare we pay for shipping on Amazon because almost all our purchases are over $25 ($35 now?), so I don't see any reason to pay for Prime. Anything less than that I should be able to buy locally. That's been our story for decades, and we use Amazon about 15 times/year.

What is this amazon thing?
I buy stuff on fleaby, deliveries are usually faster than promised. In 10 years had two issues which got resolved favorably with minimum hassle.

We are users of Amazon in our house. Today is unusual, my son had two orders due today and I have two orders due today. Although I was not aware of my sons packages.

At 3:30 the mailman delivers a package, it was for my son, drat! I checked my Amazon orders, yup two orders, both should be here by 8pm today.
At 5:00 the mailman delivers another package, ah my stuff, Double drat, this package is also for my son. Curious to see if my mailman will be here 3 times or 4 times today.

EDIT: to add.
My today 8pm deliveries have been changed to 9pm tomorrow. :mad:

Last edited:
Amazon knows the way to our house.

That is not to say - that we do not frequent a plethora of local stores (BJ's, Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Walmart, the Dollar Stores, ethnic delis, etc.) We tend to want to examine our food before we purchase it. We could survive without Amazon but it convenient for certain things.

I've bought Turbo Tax from Amazon a couple of times, otherwise it's been about 5 years since I have bought something from Amazon.

Anybody else getting frustrated with Amazon's policies and delivery performance or feel that Prime is not worth the annual fee?

Not us. Last year we spent about $1,700 with Amazon. Year to date we have spend $1,600, and that will likely exceed $2K as i am considering a "technology refresh" of some items in the home cloud computing center.

We rarely have delivery issues, maybe one every few months. We are live in an established suburban/rural neighborhood with light traffic and houses spread out and easily identifiable.

They are not perfect, but, at least for us, they have treated us with "the customer is always right" attitude. Item that were not delivered they immediately credit us for. Most of the time those items show up later, and most of the time their response is "keep it, our gift to you". I once had an empty package show up, I called them, a replace item was sent out and delivered the next day.

Since we have UPS store just a few minutes from us, their return policy is super easy. In my view it more than balances out any delivery issues we experience.

We do use Prime Video, and them now having some NFL games is an added bonus.

We have had *many* more issues with post office package deliveries than with Amazon.

Anybody else getting frustrated with Amazon's policies and delivery performance or feel that Prime is not worth the annual fee?

Now that Covid and the supply chain problems have reduced, I saw Amazon deliveries getting back to the old days of 2 day shipping. I have now been getting many packages in the 2 day window.
However as noted in another post in this thread, today I had my delivery time changed, my 2 day delivery got changed to 3 days about 1-1/2 hours before the promised delivery time.
I really like their simple deliver it to Kohl's for return policy, I have a nearby Kohl's, that I can do a drop off when doing other errands.
I do try to keep track of Amazon prices, Walmart often is having a lower price. You have to watch Amazon.

I'm also getting delays the last few days. It has been really good the last 6 months or so until recently.

Maybe it is this "big prime" thing?

Oh this should be fun!
I have 45 orders in 2023.
16 of those orders were for a work project of my sons. I ordered parts on my account and got reimbursed.

made me look. Whoa, I have 57, didn't think I ordered that much!
But I buy a lot of clothes, toys and books for grandkids, and now stuff for puppy.

My wife would say my the 19 orders I bought thru Amazon are a lot, but she was at a yard sale this morning and bought more that 19 items! Her come back would be, but mine were cheap!

She bought a porcelain pig, I ask, "Can we at least bake that thing, I want to get some value out of it!" :LOL:

I've been buying odds and ends for my new house to make it more complete. Things like rugs for the bathrooms, motion sensing light switches, etc. But I ordered a narrow table for the hallway and the ad said "Free Prime Delivery Thursday" and it was Sunday night when I placed the order. This is an inexpensive Chinese made table. (aren't they all on Amazon?)

What I didn't notice was "which" Thursday the thing would show up. It is 11 days from when I ordered it. Kind of faked me out saying "Prime Delivery".

Live and learn and pay more attention!

And on another note, Amazon deliveries are all over the place.....like overnight is sometimes three days after they ran the delivery back to the warehouse because they couldn't find my house? And two day is three with a handoff to the post office. But, for the most part, they are pretty good with deliveries.

So I'm considering dropping Prime next February when my next annual payment is due. I really don't need anything bad enough where I can't just run out and buy it locally. And I don't watch Prime TV or listen to their music.

We frequently order from Amazon but don't have a Prime membership (apart from a Prime Video subscription). We also haven't paid for shipping in years (with one or two isolated exceptions). We just wait until we have at least the minimum amount to qualify for free shipping...was $25 and now that's $35. Simple.

Oh...50-orders, so far, in 2023.

Last edited:
I have never been a prime member. As others have said, I just wait until I have enough to get the free shipping. I have often had the shipping to be quite fast. most of the time it is on or two days faster than what they say at checkout. A while back I ordered multiple small items (vitamins and supplements). One of them was shipped separately from the others and arrived the next day. The rest showed up a few days later.

Haven't had any Amazon delivery delays recently, but what I really hate is the bait-and-switch estimated delivery times. I find an item that says "Buy within the next 5 hours and 13 minutes for free delivery on Thursday". So I buy it a few minutes later, and the checkout screen says "Free delivery on Friday". Not that an extra day really matters, but sometimes it does.

I've been buying odds and ends for my new house to make it more complete. Things like rugs for the bathrooms, motion sensing light switches, etc. But I ordered a narrow table for the hallway and the ad said "Free Prime Delivery Thursday" and it was Sunday night when I placed the order. This is an inexpensive Chinese made table. (aren't they all on Amazon?)

What I didn't notice was "which" Thursday the thing would show up. It is 11 days from when I ordered it. Kind of faked me out saying "Prime Delivery".

Live and learn and pay more attention!

And on another note, Amazon deliveries are all over the place.....like overnight is sometimes three days after they ran the delivery back to the warehouse because they couldn't find my house? And two day is three with a handoff to the post office. But, for the most part, they are pretty good with deliveries.

So I'm considering dropping Prime next February when my next annual payment is due. I really don't need anything bad enough where I can't just run out and buy it locally. And I don't watch Prime TV or listen to their music.

Amazon Prime has been a ripoff for a long time.

I've had a couple of strange things happen with Amazon just this week, to my (slight) benefit.

I ordered a package of 16 cheap disposable tablecloths. I got 2 boxes delivered, each with a package of 16. And they were very different looking boxes.

Then I ordered Aleve, 270 caplet size. One box, with 2 small manufacturer boxes with 200 caplet bottle in each. That's hardly to my benefit,because the expiration date is 03/2024. And now I remember why I don't order meds I take irregularly from Amazon, because it's often stuff that will expire soon. I've heard Costco does this too. Better to just go to a store, even just the meds section of a grocery store to be able to check the exp date. I usually keep meds around a year of so after expiry, but there's still no way I'm using 2 Aleve a day for the next 18 months. So this really was of no benefit to me.

Haven't had any Amazon delivery delays recently, but what I really hate is the bait-and-switch estimated delivery times. I find an item that says "Buy within the next 5 hours and 13 minutes for free delivery on Thursday". So I buy it a few minutes later, and the checkout screen says "Free delivery on Friday". Not that an extra day really matters, but sometimes it does.

This just happened to me today. I placed an order for some cheap rug grippers for my new house yesterday with Prime deleivery Saturday. This is the email I got a few minutes ago:

Your package is on the way but running late. We’re sorry for the delay.
Now expected October 21 - October 22. Track your delivery for the latest updates.

Clinking on the link below the text shows Sunday 10/22 delivery....really?

Well, so much for Prime!

Back
Top Bottom