Got faked out on an Amazon order this week.

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I've been buying odds and ends for my new house to make it more complete. Things like rugs for the bathrooms, motion sensing light switches, etc. But I ordered a narrow table for the hallway and the ad said "Free Prime Delivery Thursday" and it was Sunday night when I placed the order. This is an inexpensive Chinese made table. (aren't they all on Amazon?)

What I didn't notice was "which" Thursday the thing would show up. It is 11 days from when I ordered it. Kind of faked me out saying "Prime Delivery".

Live and learn and pay more attention!

And on another note, Amazon deliveries are all over the place.....like overnight is sometimes three days after they ran the delivery back to the warehouse because they couldn't find my house? And two day is three with a handoff to the post office. But, for the most part, they are pretty good with deliveries.

So I'm considering dropping Prime next February when my next annual payment is due. I really don't need anything bad enough where I can't just run out and buy it locally. And I don't watch Prime TV or listen to their music.

Anybody else getting frustrated with Amazon's policies and delivery performance or feel that Prime is not worth the annual fee?

Last edited:
I have never paid for prime because I get free shipping if I buy 25. I add something small that I need to the order if I have to reach the 25.

I've been buying odds and ends for my new house to make it more complete. Things like rugs for the bathrooms, motion sensing light switches, etc. But I ordered a narrow table for the hallway and the ad said "Free Prime Delivery Thursday" and it was Sunday night when I placed the order. This is an inexpensive Chinese made table. (aren't they all on Amazon?)

What I didn't notice was "which" Thursday the thing would show up. It is 11 days from when I ordered it. Kind of faked me out saying "Prime Delivery".

Live and learn and pay more attention!

And on another note, Amazon deliveries are all over the place.....like overnight is sometimes three days after they ran the delivery back to the warehouse because they couldn't find my house? And two day is three with a handoff to the post office. But, for the most part, they are pretty good with deliveries.

So I'm considering dropping Prime next February when my next annual payment is due. I really don't need anything bad enough where I can't just run out and buy it locally. And I don't watch Prime TV or listen to their music.

Anybody else getting frustrated with Amazon's policies and delivery performance or feel that Prime is not worth the annual fee?

It's worth it to me, but if it's annoying you then I definitely think you SHOULD get rid of it! I like the rewards from my Amazon Prime Visa. They really float my boat, even if I just get a few dollars off my purchases. Also I like the (supposedly?) quick delivery right to my doorstep. So, I'm keeping Prime, if not for reasons of saving money, but instead mostly because it makes me happy, for whatever reasons. I can't think of any way that money could make me happier.

Never had a problem with Amazon not finding my house, even after all these years. But then we have some sort of law in my suburb that you have to have a sign showing the street number in large, clear numerals attached to your house on the front door or porch, so everyone does.

I ordered a narrow table for the hallway and the ad said "Free Prime Delivery Thursday" and it was Sunday night when I placed the order. This is an inexpensive Chinese made table. (aren't they all on Amazon?)

A couple years ago DW and I went shopping for new accent furniture, similar to what you were shopping. Just about everything we looked at in the stores was cheap stuff, most was not made in the U.S. I ended up buying cheap Chinese stuff on Amazon since it was the same crap I could get locally but cost significantly less.

Oh yeah. I'd say at least 75% of the things I've ordered lately I get a follow up email saying, "Your delivery has been delayed a day. It will now arrive tomorrow before 10pm."

I just ordered a 3-way lighted toggle switch from Amazon and it will arrive Oct 27 to Nov. 1st. I completely missed that fact when I was ordering. Not a big deal because I've put off replacing the switch for over 20 years. (It still works if I wiggle it.)

I've discovered that certain items of men's Amazon Essential clothing is decent quality, fits well and is inexpensive. Plus I do the 'try before you buy' option. I ordered 2 pair of chinos and a long sleeve polo shirt. When I placed the order on Tuesday it said "will arrive tomorrow before 10pm." Now it's saying will arrive Oct 20-23.

It's worth it to me, but if it's annoying you then I definitely think you SHOULD get rid of it! I like the rewards from my Amazon Prime Visa. They really float my boat, even if I just get a few dollars off my purchases. Also I like the (supposedly?) quicker delivery. So, I'm keeping Prime, if not for reasons of saving money, but instead mostly because it makes me happy, for whatever reasons. I can't think of any way that money could make me happier.

Never had a problem with Amazon not finding my house, even after all these years.

Same here: no delivery issues at all. That said, I don't usually select same day or next day delivery unless I really need the item. Most of the time, I'll choose "Amazon delivery day" which often gives a $1-3 credit for the e-store (I have used those credits to amass a sizable e-book library without spending a dime).

But yeah: if it doesn't work for you, then cancel it.

It's worth it to me, but if it's annoying you then I definitely think you SHOULD get rid of it! I like the rewards from my Amazon Prime Visa. They really float my boat, even if I just get a few dollars off my purchases. Also I like the (supposedly?) quicker delivery. So, I'm keeping Prime, if not for reasons of saving money, but instead mostly because it makes me happy, for whatever reasons. I can't think of any way that money could make me happier.

Never had a problem with Amazon not finding my house, even after all these years.

Yeah, the 5% is an incentive, I guess. But for them finding my house......I'm in a new neighborhood and the streets are new, but findable. I see Amazon trucks going up and down the street daily. When I called Amazon about them not finding my house, the guy in India said it wasn't mapped yet.. Baloney I said as I see their trucks here daily. What I suspect is that their driver got lazy and decided to go back to base rather than deliver my package before 6 AM like promised.

Yeah, the 5% is an incentive, I guess. But for them finding my house......I'm in a new neighborhood and the streets are new, but findable. I see Amazon trucks going up and down the street daily. When I called Amazon about them not finding my house, the guy in India said it wasn't mapped yet.. Baloney I said as I see their trucks here daily. What I suspect is that their driver got lazy and decided to go back to base rather than deliver my package before 6 AM like promised.

I'd suggest putting up a big sign next to your front door with your address in large, clear letters and numbers, if you haven't already. Couldn't hurt!

I'd suggest putting up a big sign next to your front door with your address in large, clear letters and numbers, if you haven't already. Couldn't hurt!

The front of the garages have your street number on it in black numerals in a block of concrete surrounded by bricks. They can't miss it.:D

The front of the garages have your street number on it in black numerals in a block of concrete surrounded by bricks. They can't miss it.:D

But if their phone app doesn't say 'Aja here' nothing else matters!

I have noticed since Amazon started their own deliveries we are constantly being told, in essence, "we have no idea where your package is, but give us a few days". Most of the time it does show, but I don't remember this happening as often with UPS.

Attachments

• amazon1.png
    amazon1.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 35
I've been easing my need for immediate gratification and been using the pick a shipping day option with Amazon to get the 6% cashback. I know just 1% extra, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

Plus, I don't need getting peppered with deliveries every day. Unless the item is something I really really want. If so, then all bets are off :).

I try to avoid subscription services whenever possible. I just dropped Sirus XM because I hate their subscription service business practices and while I did have the Netflix DVD service, that too is now gone. (they shut it down) As far as Amazon, I buy from them once or twice a month but I do not have prime. I don't mind waiting an extra day or two for delivery, (which they deliver early anyway, most of the time).

I've also learned to watch careful every time I buy from Amazon. They always seem to be trying to "slip" in their Prime Service in the fine print.

Last edited:
But if their phone app doesn't say 'Aja here' nothing else matters!

I am in an area of all new homes. These developments have been here since early 2022 and hundreds of homes are populated. I know these drivers can find the streets as I see them daily. If their software indicates "by name of purchaser", not physical street address, I can see how they couldn't find me as I moved in on 9/12 and possibly didn't get added to the City database until the deed was recorded a week or so later.

We love Amazon. One or more of us orders something almost every day. It saves us a ton of money and a ton of time from going back and forth to multiple stores searching for what we need just to pay a higher price for the extra effort. Amazon is cheaper and brings it to the door as quickly as the same day sometimes.

But if you’re not utilizing it enough for it to be worth it to you then drop it.

Amazon has been slacking lately, I ordered 4 items and 3 of them when they arrived were wrong, they simply sent the wrong items. I returned them requesting the correct Items and got 1 OK but the other 2 were wrong again. I gave up and requested a refund.

Last edited:
Never got prime, never plan to get prime. For me, they need to compete on price and delivery on every order without buying a subscription which is nothing more than paying dollars and receiving no merchandise. Most of the time Amazon is the most expensive when I comparison shop and I'm sick of seeing "This item is available for free delivery on orders is over $35" and when you get to the checkout, no free delivery option is available. I then cancel the order due to false advertising. I'm sure Amazon banks on most people just completing the order anyway and Amazon makes even more money at the expense of their customers.

We love Amazon. One or more of us orders something almost every day. It saves us a ton of money and a ton of time from going back and forth to multiple stores searching for what we need just to pay a higher price for the extra effort. Amazon is cheaper and brings it to the door as quickly as the same day sometimes.

But if you’re not utilizing it enough for it to be worth it to you then drop it.

Amazon is not always cheaper. I can list a dozen items that I bought locally recently at WM and Target that were 10 - 30% less.

Amazon is not always cheaper. I can list a dozen items that I bought locally recently at WM and Target that were 10 - 30% less.
True. Amazon is not always cheaper looking strictly at dollars and cents, but there's also the value of my time (and sanity). If I'm at my mom's and she mentions she needs some product, I can pull out my phone, order it, and have it delivered to her the next day. Or I can make a note, drive to the supermarket or Target or Walmart at my earliest opportunity, buy the product if they have it, or go to another store if they don't, and ultimately have to drive back to her place to bring it to her.

For the vast majority of things, Amazon is cheaper or about the same as the stores. The occasional time when Amazon is a little more are way offset by all of the savings in both time and money.

True. Amazon is not always cheaper looking strictly at dollars and cents, but there's also the value of my time (and sanity). If I'm at my mom's and she mentions she needs some product, I can pull out my phone, order it, and have it delivered to her the next day. Or I can make a note, drive to the supermarket or Target or Walmart at my earliest opportunity, buy the product if they have it, or go to another store if they don't, and ultimately have to drive back to her place to bring it to her.

For the vast majority of things, Amazon is cheaper or about the same as the stores. The occasional time when Amazon is a little more are way offset by all of the savings in both time and money.

Don't get me wrong, I use Amazon a lot as an 80 year old widower I have to take care of things myself. But many of us actually like to go shopping occasionally and put our hands on the goods before we buy them. Amazon has a great return policy which makes you go out and drop the goods off at a collection facility. But I am tired of that too.

Some things are just better bought in person, like clothes and shoes. Also, vegetables are best looked at in the flesh. I still can't figure out why they bought Whole Foods as it didn't fit their business model and still doesn't. I'd love to see the losses they are taking on that investment.

Amazon has a great return policy
Absolutely. Drop it off at UPS or Kohl's or Whole Foods and you're done. Don't even need a box.

Some things are just better bought in person, like clothes and shoes. Also, vegetables are best looked at in the flesh.
Agreed. I only buy shoes online when I'm replacing an identical pair. I almost never buy clothing online, but I almost never buy clothing period. When I do, I want to try it on first.

And I agree completely about produce. I would never want someone else picking that out for us. I do all of our grocery shopping in person, even throughout the pandemic when it meant standing in line outside waiting my turn to enter the supermarket.

If all you are using Prime for is shipping, then I can see why it might not be worth it. But we stream quite a bit of stuff through Prime so that helps make the case for the subscription. In July, Prime had a special on their embedded BritBox for $0.99 a month for three months. So I've been bingeing a lot of shows and have found it's actually a convenience to have the embedded BritBox instead of standalone. While I won't be keeping it indefinitely, I do like how BritBox works within Prime.

Absolutely. Drop it off at UPS or Kohl's or Whole Foods and you're done. Don't even need a box.
I didn't know that. Not that it matters much for us, the nearest UPS store is 75 miles from here, Kohl's is probably like 100miles and I have no idea where the nearest Whole Foods is in this part of the world. One of the downsides to living on the outskirts of civilization. :)

If all you are using Prime for is shipping, then I can see why it might not be worth it. But we stream quite a bit of stuff through Prime so that helps make the case for the subscription. In July, Prime had a special on their embedded BritBox for $0.99 a month for three months. So I've been bingeing a lot of shows and have found it's actually a convenience to have the embedded BritBox instead of standalone. While I won't be keeping it indefinitely, I do like how BritBox works within Prime.

When my wife was alive in 2022, she preferred Comcast cable as it was simple for her to find everything she wanted to watch and be able to record future shows, etc. We had Prime and Netflix too, but she rarely used those streaming services.

After she passed, I dumped Comcast and stuck with Prime and Netflix. On a personal basis, all I care about watching is sports so neither of these two did anything for me. I have signed on to Sling for watching sports and that works. So my plan is to drop Prime in February and I already have cancelled Netflix.

When my wife was alive in 2022, she preferred Comcast cable as it was simple for her to find everything she wanted to watch and be able to record future shows, etc. We had Prime and Netflix too, but she rarely used those streaming services.

After she passed, I dumped Comcast and stuck with Prime and Netflix. On a personal basis, all I care about watching is sports so neither of these two did anything for me. I have signed on to Sling for watching sports and that works. So my plan is to drop Prime in February and I already have cancelled Netflix.

Makes sense. If something compelling is offered by Netflix you can always subscribe for one month. Unlike other streaming services Amazon also rents, so should they offer something of interest you could do that.

We subscribe to Prime but I think the “2 day delivery”, which as you pointed out is often longer, is not need based, but convenience, and somewhat habit forming.

Back
Top Bottom