#*&^#$ing tech support, aided by the feds

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So the feds forced the voice over IP (voip) telephone providers to support E911 service as of about a month ago, which is fine except that my provider already did. Everyone however has to put you through a song and dance when you unplug the telephone "box" from the power or the network - the next time you go to make a call it has to ask you to confirm that you havent moved the box from the official 911 service location they have on file.

The last few weeks, the phone has just rung once, sporadically, about once a day. Today at 6am while we were asleep. On calling Callvantage, the guy tells me that the problem is because I have the box plugged into a power strip. After I explain how ridiculous things designed to send the customer off to try useless troubleshooting tricks doesnt make me a happy guy, he says the router says that .7% of my packets were lost or discarded, so my ISP isnt working right.

Sigh.

So although I know there are no problems and .7% is a trivial number, I go 2 hours with comcast, tear my network apart...everything is just fine.

Later I find some posts that this is a well known problem with my VOIP provider that they created when they changed the boxes firmware to conform to the fairly useless requirement mentioned above. A month ago.

Either they didnt trickle it down to the first level support or they decided to keep it a secret in hopes they can fix it before a bunch of customers change providers or ask them to replace the telephone adapters...

Watch out for those powerstrips...thems bad news.

Actually my phone stuff is hooked to a fairly spendy uninterruptable power supply, but this guy couldnt quite grok what that was, so it "became" a power strip.

Back
Top Bottom