Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just froze all three for DW and I. It only took 35 minutes online. However I'm not really pleased about the $60 I just spent. Also, I don't anticipate any future accounts I'll be opening, so hopefully this will be the end of it for awhile

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #62

I froze all three last Thursday evening online, and all went with Experian and Transunion. However, like several others have stated, Equifax went smoothly until it came time for it to spit out a PIN. Then got the "Sorry..." message.....and no PIN. Checked my CC account and it was charged the $10 fee. Checked back on Equifax, and the Freeze was activated.

I finally got through to a human this afternoon, and got things all squared away! The PIN is being mailed.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #63

I also froze all 3 last night and this morning. Forget the exact details, but one of the bureaus wouldn't do it online, so I did with an automated system over the phone. One of them didn't give me a PIN online, but said they were mailing it.

Either way, it's all taken care of. I'm not even an Anthem customer, but I apply for new credit so very rarely that I figured freezing it with all 3 bureaus is a great way to give me peace of mind.

Now I just need to ask Vanguard to implement 2-factor authentication via a voice message instead of text (as I don't have a cellphone) and I'll be feeling quite secure
Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #64

My free credit monitoring service from the Target hack expires at the end of the month so I signed up for the free Home depot identity protection. I guess I'll have to wait to see if I'm affected by the Anthem hack.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
My free credit monitoring service from the Target hack expires at the end of the month so I signed up for the free Home depot identity protection. I guess I'll have to wait to see if I'm affected by the Anthem hack.
Just did that. The Target service - ProtectMyID - let me look into the credit file. This new service from HomeDepot doesn't, or at least I haven't found a way. I think all it's going to do is notify if there's a credit transaction. I like the Target one better.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think all it's going to do is notify if there's a credit transaction. I like the Target one better.
That's also the impression I get. I agree Target was better.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Now I just need to ask Vanguard to implement 2-factor authentication via a voice message instead of text (as I don't have a cellphone) and I'll be feeling quite secure
I just enrolled on the 2-factor online.

Initially I set it up for my iPhone. But what if I lose the iPhone and lose the ability to log on?

So I used my Google Voice number and the GV app on my iPhone and iPad can both get SMS. In addition, you can set up GV to forward emails to you when you get texts and calls. The latter will be transcribed (speech recognition is so-so along with a link to hear the actual call).

So you can do it with a GV number, which doesn't require any cell plan.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

80 million customers is 25% of the US population!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I just enrolled on the 2-factor online.

Initially I set it up for my iPhone. But what if I lose the iPhone and lose the ability to log on?

So I used my Google Voice number and the GV app on my iPhone and iPad can both get SMS. In addition, you can set up GV to forward emails to you when you get texts and calls. The latter will be transcribed (speech recognition is so-so along with a link to hear the actual call).

So you can do it with a GV number, which doesn't require any cell plan.
I just set it up, and verified that I can indeed receive texts on my GV number.

Thank you. This means that maybe I'll be able to go for a few more years before I have no choice but to get a cellphone!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
80 million customers is 25% of the US population!
It is indeed a mind-bogglingly large number.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

It is a bit confusing.

80 million company records were hacked - so we don't know it this is a 1:1 on customers.

They currently cover 37 million people, or 1 in 9 Americans. But previous customers records might have been hacked.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

They also have affiliates (like the BCBS in our state). The local news advised that affiliate customer data may be included in the breach because the client data is shared to allow possibility of service across the affiliated companies. Stay tuned, but that might help explain the higher numbers.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
They also have affiliates (like the BCBS in our state). The local news advised that affiliate customer data may be included in the breach because the client data is shared to allow possibility of service across the affiliated companies. Stay tuned, but that might help explain the higher numbers.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Yeah, that's what we're afraid of.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It is a bit confusing.

80 million company records were hacked - so we don't know it this is a 1:1 on customers.

They currently cover 37 million people, or 1 in 9 Americans. But previous customers records might have been hacked.
It is a huge number (prior and current customers and employees). As you said, 25% of the population.

Wonder how long that query took? Anybody wager a guess? Just wonder how long it may have run to grab 80 million records and store if offsite before the system administrator noticed. Gives me an idea of their vigilance on security.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
It is a huge number (prior and current customers and employees). As you said, 25% of the population.

Wonder how long that query took? Anybody wager a guess? Just wonder how long it may have run to grab 80 million records and store if offsite before the system administrator noticed. Gives me an idea of their vigilance on security.
I've seen run away queries that run for days unnoticed, ones that would never come back. Sitting there eating an entire cpu(s), nobody noticed. If they just built a simple result set maybe a few hours; subject to system queueing, network, disk, and cpu.. Of course they could have chunked the data up and had multiple result sets to be aggregated together later.

I've not seen anything specifically saying how the data were accessed. Maby they hooked a backup, san checkpoint, or a simple ftp.

Edit to add: 80 million rows sounds like a lot of data. When you get into high volume transactional DBs or warehousing that is a very small number. Your talking maybe billions of rows in a single table that may relate to many other tables some of similar sizes.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

A couple of searches shows what are claimed to be the largest in the world. I'm sure there are bigger numbers that aren't disclosed. 80 million records is really small compared to some of these. Of course if were my personal data I only care about a subset.

As someone else mentioned Anthem probably gave what they consider the worst case.

http://csnipuntech.blogspot.com/2014...world.html?m=1

This one for a SAP warehouse would be an immense challenge to do maintenance or recovery work on.

https://blogs.saphana.com/2014/03/05...ata-warehouse/
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #77

Thanks for the links MRG. Yes…80 million records compared to the databases in the links is small, relatively speaking.

I have an information systems degree (2nd degree) , programmed for a while, automated our family business with an AS400 (RPG3), customized enterprise software, ran querys, etc. It is mind blowing to me that in this day and age and with the escalation of cyber attacks that ANY company with sensitive customer data has not encrypted the data….especially Social Security Numbers. All the laws and regulations in the world don't matter (HIPPA regulations) if those holding the data don't secure it.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Thought this was interesting.

Quote:
.....experts believe that the attack on Anthem was perpetrated by state-sponsored hackers from China seeking information on specific individuals for espionage purposes, although that conclusion has not been independently confirmed.
Phishers Pounce on Anthem Breach - Krebs on Security
Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #79

Actually new reports suggest that the attack started as a phishing expedition against the system administrators to try to get their credentials. This was apparently a group of 5 folks that were targeted.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually new reports suggest that the attack started as a phishing expedition against the system administrators to try to get their credentials. This was apparently a group of 5 folks that were targeted.
Is there a conflict between the two reports?