Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK so it is more specific. We have not used BCBS outside of TX except once for one of us in New Mexico in 1999. And neither Texas nor New Mexico is listed.

Quote:
This includes customers of Anthem, Inc. companies Amerigroup, Anthem and Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, Caremore, Unicare and HealthLink. Additionally customers of Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies who used their Blue Cross and Blue Shield insurance in one of fourteen states where Anthem, Inc. operates may be impacted and are also eligible: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Thanks much Sheehs1!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I was part of the Home Depot hack so I already have a credit watch service through them. What is the point of having another credit watching service.?
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Over the phone today Anthem gave me the impression they would only repair things or reimburse losses under the insurance if it was due to the Anthem hack. I'm assuming they can tell if (1) the damage required having your SSN number and (2) you are on their hack list.

I have to assume the others have the same policy. So let's say you suffered some damages. Could there be a situation where Home Depot says "not their fault" pointing the finger back to the Anthem hack? Did the Home Depot hack get your SSN number or just your credit card info? If the damage required having your SSN, Home Depot may say, sorry…(assuming that hack did not get your SSN).

Can't imagine but you get where I am going with this.

It might be more of a cover all bases sort of thing.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They said mail, not email? So it will take a few days.
In this case, snail mail may be more secure. There are already phishing e-mails claiming to be from Anthem and wanting you to go to their bogus links to give up your personal info. I would ONLY use trusted contacts like Anthemfacts.com that YOU type into your browser yourself (not using 3rd party email link which could send you to fake site) or the AllClear phone #. Scam artists tend to use any incident to their advantage
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #124

Well….for the folks that are interested...…I received an email this morning from AllClearID. That was fast. I now need to verify that AllClear is sending emails because not only was it another apology from Anthem, it verified my automatic enrollment in the first tier AllClearIDSecure AND it told me "affected individuals" can enroll in the AllClearIDPRO. Without coming out saying I was affected it gave me a redemption code to sign up of the Pro piece indicating ...yep….the hackers got my record as only those affected can sign up.

I did everything from the anthemfacts.com site, placed my phone call yesterday to the number provided by that site, clicked on the link on that site for the AllClearID sign up, entered only my name and email address as requested.

Anyone think I should be suspicious that I got the "email" with the AllClearIDPRO redemption code this morning? The only thing I was expecting was perhaps an acknowledgement that I was affected. I thought if I was, the redemption code would come via mail. I will call Anthem and see what they say.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #125

Quote:
OK so it is more specific. We have not used BCBS outside of TX except once for one of us in New Mexico in 1999. And neither Texas nor New Mexico is listed.
Good news for most Blue Card policy holders.

Quote:

Thanks much Sheehs1!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post

Anyone think I should be suspicious that I got the "email" with the AllClearIDPRO redemption code this morning? The only thing I was expecting was perhaps an acknowledgement that I was affected. I thought if I was, the redemption code would come via mail. I will call Anthem and see what they say.
There doesn't appear top be any risk of signing up with the redemption code on the AllClear website. I signed up last week with the Home Depot breach, and the redemption code didn't work on the normal enrollment page. It required a separate link provided by HD.

It seems to me Anthem just decided to extend AllClearPro to everyone, that trying to parse and segment to control this was too complex and risky.

Edit: I signed up at AnthemFacts, and received the email a few minutes later. The redemption code doesn't work on the normal signup page of AllClearPro, a separate link for Anthem customers is needed. If it exists I can't find it.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Edit: I signed up at AnthemFacts, and received the email a few minutes later. The redemption code doesn't work on the normal signup page of AllClearPro, a separate link for Anthem customers is needed. If it exists I can't find it.
The address I used was in the email . It took me several tries and I was just getting ready to call them to tell them their link didn't work….when it then worked. I was able to sign up for the PRO and received the confirmation.

Edit: That was a fast response for you. I think you were right for all that respond they probably are generating redemption codes.

Edit: I took the link out for the PRO site as it didn't appear to work right when I keyed it in here. It will be in the email confirmation for those that register.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #127

Quote:
The address I used that was in the email is www.anthem.allclearid.com/PRO. It took me several tries and I was just getting ready to call them to tell them their link didn't work….when it then worked. I was able to sign up for the PRO and received the confirmation.

Is this the address you were using?

Edit: That was a fast response for you. I think you were right for all that respond they probably are generating redemption codes.
I was looking for that link on the web page, not the email. Thanks. After multiple tries it came up. I'll enroll DW and see how it works.

Edit - it's the same login I used for the Home Depot authorized account. I went ahead and enrolled DW.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Former and current Anthem subscriber, so I've been through the process...

Quote:
[...]AllClearIDSecure AND it told me "affected individuals" can enroll in the AllClearIDPRO.[...]
The one thing worth noting here is that the AllClearIDSecure is a "credit repair" service. i.e. I read this as meaning that it does nothing proactive.

If at some point in the next 24 months you discover that somebody fraudently used your information, they will assist in fixing any issues. (But I believe they will not reach out to you - you will have to call them to take advantage of this service - quote from their letter: "If a problem arises, simply call 1-877-263-7995 and a dedicated investigator will do the work to recover financial losses, restore your credit, and make sure your identity is returned to its proper condition.")

I think it's important to note that they probably can't do anything that you couldn't do yourself - the law is on your side here. The FTC (Federal Trade Commission - Federal Trade Commission | Protecting America's Consumers) has many resources available to you to understand what you can do... For example, see:
Disputing Errors with Credit Reporting Companies | Consumer Information

Quote:
Without coming out saying I was affected it gave me a redemption code to sign up of the Pro piece indicating ...yep….the hackers got my record as only those affected can sign up
I think you're reading too much into this. The only information one has to enter to get this letter is a first and last name. Chances are they're not even verifying these, but even if they are, there will be many duplicates and triplicates.

As previous posters have mentioned, Anthem is doing the "right thing" here by not being very restrictive on who gets this letter. This doesn't mean that your information was NOT leaked, but you shouldn't take it as verification that your information is out there, either. I expect more announcements about the scope of the breach when Anthem finds out more.

I believe that the text you received is what everybody received who filled in the form on allclearid's site (it certainly is the same as I and my wife received).
Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

We have been trying to sign up for AllClearID for the past hour and we cannot get our accounts activated. Their systems seem to be overloaded at the moment.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
We have been trying to sign up for AllClearID for the past hour and we cannot get our accounts activated. Their systems seem to be overloaded at the moment.
Hope you get thru soon! Have you tried the phone number too?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those of you who did a freeze with Equifax, have you gotten your PIN in the mail yet?

I initiated the freeze via their web site, but had problems, so I called their number and the lady told me the freeze took effect and to expect the PIN in the mail in a few days. I also confirmed the $10 fee showed up on my credit card.

The other day, I got something from Equifax but it was some one-page letter offering to remove my name from some marketing mailing list, or something like that. Had nothing to do with a freeze PIN.

Has anybody gotten their PIN from Equifax? How long did you have to wait for it to show up in the mail?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hope you get thru soon! Have you tried the phone number too?
It took a few hours to get the phone call needed to activate our accounts. And it didn't work right away. But it's finally all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
For those of you who did a freeze with Equifax, have you gotten your PIN in the mail yet?

I initiated the freeze via their web site, but had problems, so I called their number and the lady told me the freeze took effect and to expect the PIN in the mail in a few days. I also confirmed the $10 fee showed up on my credit card.

The other day, I got something from Equifax but it was some one-page letter offering to remove my name from some marketing mailing list, or something like that. Had nothing to do with a freeze PIN.

Has anybody gotten their PIN from Equifax? How long did you have to wait for it to show up in the mail?
We have not received our PIN from Equifax by mail yet. Like other posters reported, we received an error message when we tried to freeze my wife's credit through Equifax online. We did not get a PIN even though the freeze succeeded. She called Equifax (1-888-298-0045) the next day and was able to retrieve the PIN that way.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post

I never got my PIN from Equifax, either. But a few minutes ago, I called them at the # FIREd posted just above (thank you) and after a short but somewhat clumsy phone chat, I got a confirmation # for the call and the agent initiated the PIN getting mailed to me.

I said clumsy because we had some trouble with the security questions. He asked me some questions about recent CC balances and Credit limits (on cards and credit lines). I knew what my last payment amount was but didn't know off the top of my head what my other Credit limits were. I know I have the CC limit on my main card but unluckily for me I had just done one of my paper sort-&-shred-&-file things so my recent statement was put away and not within arm's reach. I asked him if he had any questions about recent cars I had owned because they are often used as security questions.

He was a little skittish about having enough proof about my identity but felt sure enough that I was "me" so he moved forward with the PIN release.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #134

The only one I have received via mail has been TransUnion. I received the same letter from Equifax regarding taking my name of some marketing list that LoneAspen received.

That said, the day I did my freezes I DID get PIN Numbers from all three and with Equifax I also got a confirmation number along with the PIN (via internet or phone).

I thought I'd wait a bit longer for the mail confirmations and call the other two…just because it makes me more comfortable to get the confirmation of the above PINs via mail.

p.s. Since all of this, the Anthem hack and the credit freezes, I have been getting some threatening phishing phone calls. By threatening I mean, calling me by my first name, giving me their name and "threats to have me arrested by a magistrate or Federal prosecutor asking me to help them help me (Ha!) and phone calls from the IRS asking me to call them back. The phone numbers have been from CA, New York, FLorida, etc. I don't even answer them. They leave voice mail messages! The timing may be coincidental but I certainly feel more comfortable with the freezes on my credit now.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Any idea how to deal with our kids that are part of Anthem? Since their names,DOB's and SS#'s were compromised does it make sense to register each of them for the credit watch service?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #136
Administrator

I got my Equifax PIN online when I initiated the security freeze.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #137

I will do the Alfred E Newman thing, since I found my 2006 BCBS application from AZ and I didn't give them my SS#. What me Worry.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I got my Equifax PIN online when I initiated the security freeze.
Ditto, for all 3.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone hear of Chex Services? I got the following from a message board of my former mega-corp's former employees. (We were taken over by another big company in 2008). ANy ideas how to check if this is legit and another thing we should do to protect ourselves? I thought the credit bureaus are what the financial institutions use.

Since we are talking about scams/fraud/identity theft. As most people know, if you are a victim of identity theft, you should put a fraud alert on your credit with Transunion, Equifax, etc. credit bureaus. But a lot of people do not know you should also put a security alert to keep the scammers from opening checking/savings accounts using your name and social security number. The banks/saving and loans/brokerage firms, etc. use something called "ChexSystems" to check to see if a new customer has any issues (bounced checks, over drawn, etc.) with previous accounts at other institutions, or if there has been fraud. So, you should put a security alert on "ChexSystems" also. https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumerinfo/us/en/index.htm

ChexSystems Consumer Assistance
The Chex Systems, Inc. network is comprised of member financial institutions that regularly contribute information on closed checking and savings accounts. ChexSystems shares this information among its member institutions to help them assess the risk of opening new accounts. ChexSystems does not make account opening decisions for its members. Account opening decisions are made by the member institutions based on their internal policies.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, the personal customer information that they held was not encrypted, thus making it very easy for the criminals to make use of the information.

It seems to me that organizations are going to have to start encrypting information they hold on other people. If an organization does not care if its e-mails, business plans, etc. get stolen and made public, that is their business. But, when the hold information on customers, employees, contractors, etc., they need to encrypt it.

And they need to beef up access protection to that encrypted information. Employees who have legitimate access to to private information need more than password protected accounts to un-encrypt the information. (My understanding is that the Anthem break-in started with getting an employee's password.)

Perhaps, every such employee should have a dongle that gives a unique authorization code every time they longon to use an encrypted database.

At some point these corporations and government organizations have to start taking our privacy much more seriously.