Any idea what this is?

Nodak

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have had this item for most of my life; it was found by my mother when she was a child. It was in an old house my grandparents rented when they first came to this town in 1915. It is silver.

I have run the German through software translators and about the only thing that translates is that it commemorates a 25 year association. It also appears to have something to do with carrier pidgeons.

Attachments

• 20111216_241.jpg
    20111216_241.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20111216_242.jpg
    20111216_242.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Interesting, you're correct. It's from a carrier pigeon club. It looks like this one, which is silver and sold for 55 euros.

I'll bet KARL GRAF VON ALTEN- LINSINGEN would be impressed by the internet, rather than tying messages to bird's legs.

Interesting, you're correct. It's from a carrier pigeon club. It looks like this one, which is silver and sold for 55 euros.

I'll bet KARL GRAF VON ALTEN- LINSINGEN would be impressed by the internet, rather than tying messages to bird's legs.
Wow, that didn't take long. Thanks.

Pigeon breeding and racing is still big in Germany, at least it was in the late 1990s. A guy who worked for me was a member of a large club and traveled all over Europe with his birds to compete.

I have a friend in Cincinnati whose hobby is racing pigeons. There is a beautiful monument in Brussels to the carrier pigeons used in World War I.

Attachments

• monument.to-war.pigeons.closeup.jpg
    monument.to-war.pigeons.closeup.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 26
I have a friend in Cincinnati whose hobby is racing pigeons. There is a beautiful monument in Brussels to the carrier pigeons used in World War I.

So, is that a pigeon-racing outfit? I suppose it's easy to throw in the wash if you get pigeon droppings on it! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom