Anybody dealt with the redirect virus?

Go to Bleepingcomputer.com, download ComboFix, run, follow instructions, enjoy.

I used this about a year ago to fix my computer. I ran the ComboFix and a couple of other things over and over again. I finally cleaned things up. Messy.

The next questions (which you probably don't want to hear :blush:):

1) Do you have your data backed up to an external drive?

2) Do you have a restore disc for you system or a clean image of your hard drive?

I've had situations before when totally stuck, it was faster to just make sure my data safe externally, then roll up my sleeves and spend a day or two redoing my system.

Before 1 and 2 above, can you reset your browser? I use Internet Explorer and sometimes when things get messed up there's a browser reset option.

I do have a restore disc.

If I reset Firefox, will I lose my add ons? I depend on my Reminder Fox

Last edited:
I used this about a year ago to fix my computer. I ran the ComboFix and a couple of other things over and over again. I finally cleaned things up. Messy.

I looked at this, but the warnings were kind of like those for explosive drain cleaner - for use by knowledgeable professionals only. I backed away.

I looked at this, but the warnings were kind of like those for explosive drain cleaner - for use by knowledgeable professionals only. I backed away.

I should have heeded my own caution. I reset the restore point back a couple of weeks then downloaded Combofix. After I ran it, every time I clicked on an icon, I got an error message. I restarted the computer and Windows did some updates and things magically started to work - except Thunderbird. :facepalm: So I saved the T'bird profile and redownloaded it. My emails are back but now I'm struggling with resetting my remote account settings.

I wonder if we could fund an assassination squad for virus creators. :LOL:

I do have a restore disc.

If I reset Firefox, will I lose my add ons? I depend on my Reminder Fox

I think you would lose the add ons. I know for IE, a reset brings IE back to like the first use. Remember to export your Firefox favorites to a backup too if you do a system restore so you can import the favorites back.

I think we can close this out. I don't seem to be getting redirects anymore.

Thanks for helping a technophobe. :LOL:

Yes, the warnings made me back away initially but nothing else worked and I was determined to fix the problem myself.

I didn't lose any data/files but I have sinced signed up for Carbonite.

I think we can close this out. I don't seem to be getting redirects anymore.

Thanks for helping a technophobe. :LOL:

How did you end up fixing the problem? Glad that you are no longer getting redirected.

How did you end up fixing the problem? Glad that you are no longer getting redirected.

• I reset my restore point back a couple of weeks
  • Ran Combofix
  • Repaired damage caused by Combofix.
  • Had a cold one

• I reset my restore point back a couple of weeks
  • Ran Combofix
  • Repaired damage caused by Combofix.
  • Had a cold one

I see. Thx for the info. I like your last bullet about having a cold one to celebrate.

As an observation from a non techie, I find my computer's ability to self diagnose and repair somewhat disappointing. I type a garbled series of letters into Google and it cyphers what I really want and gives me great suggestions. I click on an icon and my computer can't figure out that I want to execute the command that that icon has executed a 1000 times in the past.

Rant over.

Travelover, I give you the fix and you never responded to me. I am talking from 15 years of working of computers but I guess you did not want my advice. It is totally free and this person will take lots of time and get your computer 100% clean. These bad things get embedded in the registry and unless you let an expert clean it I would never trust that computer especially if you use online banking or buy things using a credit card. There are other tools you have to run when combofix is run. I would never advise anyone to use combofix without the help from an expert. I have seem more than once combofix totally trash a PC. I will also guarantee you that when the experts get through cleaning it will run like a new PC. All this for free but I understand if you do not want help. oldtrig

Travelover, I give you the fix and you never responded to me. I am talking from 15 years of working of computers but I guess you did not want my advice. It is totally free and this person will take lots of time and get your computer 100% clean. These bad things get embedded in the registry and unless you let an expert clean it I would never trust that computer especially if you use online banking or buy things using a credit card. There are other tools you have to run when combofix is run. I would never advise anyone to use combofix without the help from an expert. I have seem more than once combofix totally trash a PC. I will also guarantee you that when the experts get through cleaning it will run like a new PC. All this for free but I understand if you do not want help. oldtrig

Sorry if you felt ignored. To you, posting a log file seems like a simple task. To me - "What the hell is a log file and where would I get it?"

I wasn't ignoring you, I was / am overwhelmed by this techno stuff.

I suggested you go to the site run by a friend of mine.
Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal - Smartest Computing
follow these steps
Before you post, please read this! - Smartest Computing
when you run the programs he tells about on this page you will get a log file. You would then copy and paste those files in your post.
You will have to do these
Malwarebytes (MBAM)

GMER
it will take a while to run this one and you cannot use the computer when it is running.
MBRCheck
DDS (2 logs)
I have did it many times and they always clean my computer perfect. I only suggested this because it works and I wanted you to have a clean computer that you would not fear using to do online banking and things like that.
If you need help I can help you do the posts. Please let me know.
Oldtrig

I suggested you go to the site run by a friend of mine.
Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal - Smartest Computing
follow these steps
Before you post, please read this! - Smartest Computing
when you run the programs he tells about on this page you will get a log file. You would then copy and paste those files in your post.
You will have to do these
Malwarebytes (MBAM)

GMER
it will take a while to run this one and you cannot use the computer when it is running.
MBRCheck
DDS (2 logs)
I have did it many times and they always clean my computer perfect. I only suggested this because it works and I wanted you to have a clean computer that you would not fear using to do online banking and things like that.
If you need help I can help you do the posts. Please let me know.
Oldtrig

Thanks a lot for your patience and helpfulness.

oldtrig,

Thanks for posting that link to your friend's site. Heavy reading, but very seriously valuable stuff. I don't need it--yet--but I think I do need to know.

Cheers!

You are quite welcome. I posted the site where anyone thats having PC problems can get help and not have to pay someone to do this. Our economy is bad enough and any saving is a plus. I see people taking their computers to shops everyday when most could do what they do for free. I have fixed many systems when maybe hardware is the problem but having to pay someone to remove a virus is crazy. I learned computers where one day I could help others fix their computers. If people want to trust their system to a computer shop thats fine but if they want my help I am here. I personally would not want just anyone looking at my personal things on my PC. Thats about all I could say on this. :cool:Oldtrig

One thing to note is that a couple of the linksys routers have a weird bug that looks like a redirect virus.
I think it's the WRT310 and WRT610 models.. They screw up dns lookups.

If you have one of these routers that might be something to consider.
i have the WRT310 and it was inflicting this annoyance upon me.

obgyn65
I highly suggest you do not run combofix unless an expert tells you to. If you read instruction you will see you are to disable or remove your antivirus before you run it anyway. Most everyone will get that message
Publisher unknown. I am telling you this from past experience on running combofix. If you are an expert then continue on/
A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

I just tried this and got a security warning from my Norton Antivirus saying "Publisher unknown".

I would advise against running this program unless you are very competent with computers.

Thanks a lot for your patience and helpfulness.
You are welcome. The person that owns this website I showed will fix any computer that has been invaded with trojans and viruses. He wants everyone to follow his steps in order. If you need more help I have other options I can show you. It is really confusing if you have never did this before. I have tons of patience and will stay with you until the problem is resolved. I just hate to see people waste money on taking a PC to a repair shop when most can do what they do with a little help from others. I cannot stress enough about running ComboFix without knowing what you are doing. Never pay any attention to someone who tells you that program alone with solve your problems. I am posting this only from many years of working on PC's and not trying to be a know it all. Oldtrig

Last edited:
mh, I have run into the problem you mentioned and there is a fireware upgrade that will fix this problem.
Linksys by Cisco - WRT160N Support
oldtrig

unfortunately i have the WRT130. i couldn't find a upgrade for that. if you can point me at one for the WRT130 that would be great. right now i just point my dns server at the google dns server instead and that works around the problem.

WRT130N does not exist on Linksys homepage. Yours is a WRT 130?

Back
Top Bottom