Anyone else watching the Chilean Miner Rescue?

Does anyone know if the ascent is made in darkness, or is there a small light in the capsule?

I believe the miners' helmets have a small light in the front, but that is all. However, they do have oxygen and a communication device if they run into trouble (ie. panic attacks).

Balls of Steel is up next - he asked for both his wife and mistress to be present - seems his wife exercised some power and said unhunh. Wonder how long his life will be after reentry to the surface world.

Read on MSNBC that his wife is not pleased and plans to be AWOL when he surfaces. Things must have changed down there. When I was better aquainted with Latin mores about the only available woman many a guy didn't sleep with was his wife, at least after a few years and a few babies. He must have been one careful guy, as this extra relationship is 10 years old, and according to MSNBC, neither woman knew about the other till they met at the mine. No tell-tale text messages or foreign scents or suspicion arousing phone calls or unexplained absences. Or the women did know about it but they wisely don't want TV to wallow in that.

Also, glad to hear that there is light. That capsule sure looks confining. I guess miners tend not be claustrophobic, and I am glad about that!

Ha

Amazing coverage! I was absolutely riveted to it last night and stayed up until #5 before I fell asleep, around 2 AM our time I think.

When I awakened this morning at 10 AM, I think they were pulling up #15. I watched until we went to lunch.

What a miracle that any of them at all were rescued alive!! And it looks like they may all be saved.

They seem to be going faster. I think number 26 only took a little over 9 minutes to ascend! Keeping my fingers crossed! 7 to go plus 5 rescuers to go.

The capsule is looking pretty messy now.

Audrey

They seem to be going faster. I think number 26 only took a little over 9 minutes to ascend! Keeping my fingers crossed! 7 to go plus 5 rescuers to go.

The capsule is looking pretty messy now.

Audrey

You answered what I was going to ask- how many rescuers down there. With continued good fortune, I think they should all be out by midnight their time.

Ha

The five (soon to be six) rescuers who volunteered to go down are the true heroes.

Yup risking ones life to save others is pretty much the textbook definition of a hero. Especially the first couple of guys, how did they know they could get back to the surface.

They are all heroes as far as I am concerned. A wonderful thing to be able to watch.

Ha

Yup risking ones life to save others is pretty much the textbook definition of a hero. Especially the first couple of guys, how did they know they could get back to the surface.

All of five of 'em, for, God forbid, anything could still go wrong, from catastrophic equipment failure, a cave-in of the Plan B rescue shaft, or another Chilean earthquake while the rescue operation is happening. This is high drama!

It is a joy to see the happy faces of the bystanders, and especially the brave and lovely women who have been waiting- and for a long time, not even knowing whether the miners were dead or alive.

OK - 3 miners to go, and then the rescuers. This is just so riveting and so hoping everyone gets out safely really soon!

I almost missed the watching it live, thanks for the heads up. It's much better watching live than seeing the news coverage.

I wonder why they needed so many rescuers sent down (why more than one)?

It is a joy to see the happy faces of the bystanders, and especially the brave and lovely women who have been waiting- and for a long time, not even knowing whether the miners were dead or alive.

Yes.

Raul Enriquez Bustos Ibanez's wife seemed pretty relaxed.

So - did anyone wonder about the Chilean flag which is so very close to the Texas flag?

It is also known as "the Lone Star" - "La Estrella Solitaria" and became the official Chile flag in 1817, 22 years before the Texas Flag was designed and adopted in 1839.

Just thought it was interesting trivia.

This could be the pilot for an ongoing reality show. I wonder how much they'd have to pay those guys to back down for another round?

Yeah - it's hilarious! I had to correct my husband, who is a Texas native, and last night asked me "Why are they flying the TX flag?" I pointed out how it wasn't quite identical.

texas-ballot_1738062c.jpg

Texan ballot papers sent out with flag of Chile - Telegraph

Less than 24 hours, all 33 miners rescued! Now just need for the rescuers to rescue themselves!

I feel so relieved..and I don't even know these guys. This is really a happy occasion and one I'm celebrating with a Margharita! They really were exemplary in the way they stayed calm and organized down in that mine while trapped.

Can someone help me? I just saw the first rescuer start his ascent- how many are there total?

It's almost 10:30 pm down there, God willing everyone will be safe in few more hours- just a little over 24 hours total.

A real triumph.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom