Anyone else watching the Chilean Miner Rescue?

Chilean Oprah equivalency? You get a phone! and You get a phone! And You get a phone! All our trapped miners get a phone today!

What was the significance of that phone that one of the miners displayed?
Made in Chile. They made it at the camp to enable communication as soon as the first hole was opened.

It was all so very awesome to see! I cried every time they came out of the capsule to greet their families.

The Chilean president was just fantastic, especially when the final miner was rescued. A win for the country and the world!

We watched the final few come up at our local Mexican restaurant last night (we don't have a TV at home) and so got to watch on Spanish language TV, with our bartender and waitress translating for us. Very moving, especially when the final miner and the President sang together.

I thought later--what if we could squeeze our US Congress into that hole...would any of them survive? Would we want them to? :)

Yeah, Manuel Gonzalez, the first rescuer to go below, had some iron huevos.
c09.chile.jpg

I hope they manage to keep their "blood pact" and not reveal all the fighting and conflict that went on during their ordeal. I can just imagine the deals they are being offered from the media. No doubt, in a few years there will be a Hollywood movie 'revealing' that there were really 37 miners but they had to eat 4 of them to survive.

I'd like to remember this week as the wonderful, heart warming triumph that it has been.

Chile miners came to blows, but swore to keep details secret - Telegraph

The miners, who were given a clean bill of health and permitted to leave hospital yesterday, spoke of the horrors of the early days after the accident before contact was made with the outside world.

The first accounts of life for the trapped men hinted at a complicated period of squabbles, disagreements and even physical confrontations between the group during those first dark days after the San Jose mine collapsed on Aug 5.

The men had "separated into three groups because of fighting. There were fist fights," one miner said.
But they are reported to have made a "blood pact" not to speak about the problems between them when they reached the surface.
Instead they have agreed to talk about how they overcame problems in order to ensure their survival.

Last edited:
I hope that somebody has got them a good business manager, and that they stick together as 33 to maximise the value of their stories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom